LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question for those that own a Bestop shell

Old 05-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
762x51taco is on a distinguished road
762x51taco's Tacoma Gallery
Question for those that own a Bestop shell

OK, so I am just finishing up my Bestop install and I think that my tailgate bar that they sent me is too long, or I am just an idiot and cant figure it out. The total length of the bar is 62.250" which seems long seeing as how the inside measurement of the rails is 58".

I emailed bestop but they probably wont get back to me till Monday at the earliest, so any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I am holding off sawzalling it till I can get a conformation on the length it should be

Right side

Left side

Overall
Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
Well dang, I guess I will have to wait to talk to them on Monday. I wouldn't have a problem cutting it, as long as I had a for sure measurement of how long it really should be, and that the tailgate bar is actually the one that is made for the Tacoma
Old 05-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Terry
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post
I measured mine and it is 55 1/4 inches long. Just measure between the tabs the bar hooks to and see if that measurment would work.
That's way too long, OP. Just cut it to fit, but make sure your top's sides are parallel and at the correct dimension apart.

I just went outside and carefully measured my bar - it's 56 1/4".
Old 05-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #7
Awesome, thanks for the measurement. I have one last question before I hack it. I measured the "bulb" rubber seal that attaches to the tailgate bar and it is 56 1/4, so I am assuming that your tailgate bar and bulb seal are flush with each other?

It is kinda a obvious answer, but I would like to make sure before I cut it due to the tailgate bar being about $60 if I screw it up. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 66H now w/ PHS
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Let me know how the hacking goes - mine is about 1" or so too wide. All I did was kick out the rear corners of the top to make it fit but it's annoying.

Stuck at work or I'd check the bar/bulb issue for you.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 AM   #9
TerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTerryS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762x51taco View Post
Awesome, thanks for the measurement. I have one last question before I hack it. I measured the "bulb" rubber seal that attaches to the tailgate bar and it is 56 1/4, so I am assuming that your tailgate bar and bulb seal are flush with each other?

It is kinda a obvious answer, but I would like to make sure before I cut it due to the tailgate bar being about $60 if I screw it up. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
Yes, my bar & seal are the same length. Good luck, OP. Please let us know how it turns out & how you like the top.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
Lunercrab's Tacoma Gallery
They do have great customer service. U could always call and get another. Not to thread hack but I hardly use my bar in the back cause it seems no matter how hard I wedge it it to the side holders after driving alittle it comes off. Then the whole bar begins to slide off to the side. Any tricks on how to keep it in place?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #11

Navy:
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunercrab View Post
They do have great customer service. U could always call and get another. Not to thread hack but I hardly use my bar in the back cause it seems no matter how hard I wedge it it to the side holders after driving alittle it comes off. Then the whole bar begins to slide off to the side. Any tricks on how to keep it in place?
Beth,
I've never had that problem. To get the bar off the side tabs, I really have to tug on it. Are you absolutely sure you've got the bar installed correctly? I know I had some problems with that in the beginning. Compare it to mine in the pic below, where I've pulled the bar almost completely off the side tab to give you a better view.
Terry

Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
Here is an update. Got back from Sedona about an hour ago and cut the bar to 56 1/4" and it fits perfect. The bulb gasket fits flush, and the bar fits in the track just as it should nice and snug. I can tell this is going to fit my needs perfectly.

I will give a small review for the Bestop after using it for the first time today. I started off trip driving roughly 60miles up north to Sedona with my 2 dogs in the bed. The side windows were on and the back was rolled up, and despite heavy cross winds the top did just fine, and the dogs didnt mind one bit.

When I got to Sedona I had someone stop with me at a gas station so they could get the manufacture of the top so they could order one for their taco as well.

I then zipped the sides off and stored them in the back seat. Driving at speeds up to 60mph with the sides off and the back rolled up there was no problems. The dogs spent almost 3hrs total driving time, and about 45min when we went into a restaurant to eat, and didn't phase them at all. BTW the dogs are a German Shepard, and a Great Dane.

All in all I am very impressed with this shell. Despite the one hiccup with the tailgate bar install was very straight forward, and easy. The directions could have been a touch better, and now that I think of it I should have done a write up while installing. Thanks for the help, and hopefully this thread will help someone else.

New right side

New left side
Old 05-16-2011, 04:05 AM   #13

Navy:
TerryS's Tacoma Gallery
Glad it all worked out and thanks for the quick review. Get used to folks asking about the top - I've even had folks follow me into parking lots to ask about mine.