Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gurgling dash sounds...

Old 05-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Gurgling dash sounds...

I have an idea as to what this is but I am not sure.

My truck has a running water/gurgling sound when I run it just after start up. I'm thinking this is the water running to the heating unit in the dash but I have never heard the running water sound in other vehicle, is there something I need to check out?

On a semi related topic, there is a sharp curve in the road that I live on and when I have my heat on and I go around that curve, it gets cold in my truck...its very weird, is this something that has ever happened to you when going around a sharp curve? The curve is drawn out below and it only happens when I am going the direction of the stated arrows. Don't hate my Paint skills!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Bump

Anyone takers?
Old 05-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Check your coolant level, possibly low.

check overflow tank and radiator.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
My bet is you have air in your cooling system. My 97 GMC would do that if I didnt get all the air out after a coolant swap.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, when I go around a corner, I do get a little bit of cool air in the truck, I notice it only in the winter though.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
Kermit
SVHANC is on a distinguished road

Name: Sam
SVHANC's Tacoma Gallery
You could have condensation trapped in your ductwork. There is a drain line that tends to get stopped up and let water stay trapped. Usually it will be on the passengers side below the glove compartment.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same issues in my '99 after a water pump replacement. Mine would gurgle on start-up, and at mid to high revs. Never did figure it out. New hoses, multiple flushes, vacuum lift flush, drain and fill with front of truck elevated, etc. I just got used to it. I credited it to air trapped in my heater core. Just turn the radio up.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Like others have said. You have air in your cooling system. Now I don't know for sure if we even have bleed valves or where it is. My truck is too new to need to find it yet. It's usually the highest spot on the cooling system. It looks like a bolt with a hole in the middle. Most vehicles have it right next to where the the upper radiator hose attaches to the engine. Some vehicles like a Saturn my son owned, didn't have a bleed valve because even the fill reservoir was pressurized and was the highest part of the system. With the vehicle warm carefully open the valve until all the bubbles disappear and a steady trickle of fluid escapes.

Make sure your reservoir is filled to the high water mark so that air doesn't get sucked into the system when your engine cools.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #9

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHANC View Post
You could have condensation trapped in your ductwork. There is a drain line that tends to get stopped up and let water stay trapped. Usually it will be on the passengers side below the glove compartment.
I'll check this out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrosiveTendency View Post
Had the same issues in my '99 after a water pump replacement. Mine would gurgle on start-up, and at mid to high revs. Never did figure it out. New hoses, multiple flushes, vacuum lift flush, drain and fill with front of truck elevated, etc. I just got used to it. I credited it to air trapped in my heater core. Just turn the radio up.
That was on your 99? I see you have an 05 now, no issues? Mine's an 05 too. Lol I usually do turn the radio so I don't have to listen to the noises it makes, ticking, exhaust rattles, etc.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
wag225 is on a distinguished road
wag225's Tacoma Gallery
water pump

Just had this EXACT same thing happen on my 2006 4.0. The water pump went bad. It had a leak, and made this exact same noise. It Is from having air in the coolant system. Mine was because my coolant had leaked out of the pump, therefore air took its place in the system. The reason the sound goes away after it warms up is because the pressure/coolant expands with heat forcing the air out and is pressurized with hot coolant.
Also, you get a "puff" of cold air when turning because the hot coolant goes to one side and it blows the coolness (lack of hot coolant) through rather than the heat.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakToyTRD View Post
I'll check this out

That was on your 99? I see you have an 05 now, no issues? Mine's an 05 too. Lol I usually do turn the radio so I don't have to listen to the noises it makes, ticking, exhaust rattles, etc.
No issues on the '05. other than then ticking, and recently a heat shield making a minor vibration. some thick mud will take care of that.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ds-normal.html

Even after my coolant change, I still have the gurgling sound when the thermostat first opens up to allow the coolant into the cab. FYI, it only happens to me when accelerating from a stop going uphill with the inside temp turned to hot which is likely why I never heard it when it in years past. It was years before I lived in a location where I was accelerating uphill from a stop sign. Anyway, I figured there's just no way to get all the air out of the system even after a coolant swap.