Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear bumper Tire gate and Rear View Camera work around.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
SPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Rear bumper Tire gate and Rear View Camera work around.

Anyone with the rear view back-up camera find a work-a-round for installing a Rear Bumper Tire Gate?

If so, how'd you do it? Pics?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
SPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Another York'n.

If I may be technical, I'm originally a Cali Homegrown who relocated to York, PA in 2004 for family reasons.

PM sent.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Interested as well.

Was thinking of getting one of those license plate mounts or building a mount that would support the camera rework the wiring under/through the bumper then just test to adjust the angle, seemed like it would work
Old 05-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I helped a local guy install one, we moved the little camera piece to a square hole to the right, just above the rear bumper. It's kind of hard to explain without pics, then we just zipped tied the wires up and it worked perfect.

Nice, I've just been looking for a Tiregate now at the right price, cause new they are $$$
Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Max's Canadian Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
How much you wanna spend?

Well like New they're around $800.00ish irrc, and well KR Fab was making them for around $500.00ish, but apparently they're not anymore, so around $500ish, I'll probably just end up buying on eventually anyways, since my tailgate is kinda dented and shit already
Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #7

SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Don't hold me to it, but I saw somewhere that when you buy an after market Off Road Bumper, say from Brute Force or Relentless, they'll add the tire gate for I think $250 more.

This is why I'm looking for a work-a-round for the camera mount.

LRGNR,

Are you able to come up with pics, or more specific directions?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light10.21 is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
Name: Dillon
10.21's Tacoma Gallery
I was interested in this as well but decided to put the spare under the bed for more bed space...

...If you're keeping a spare on the gate, why not simply move the camera from the stock tailgate to the small hole under the tailgate where you usually stick the rod (ha, stick-the-rod) to lower the spare? That hole becomes useless with a tiregate anyway. I believe the camera is just held into the handle by two small screws and just go along the same lines Lrgrnr was saying.

Either way, post pics if done by anyone. Doubt the wife will let me buy one but just in case I run into money years down the line.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
What you need to do is fab a small mount for the camera on the tire gate, then either wire the "fake plug" supplied with the truck for when you remove the tailgate or wire a new plug and just buy a new camera. This way you can locate the camera where you want it, and its a plug and play and you can leave truck camera in place just in case you sell down the road.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
Go BIG or Go HOME
Buell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud of

Name: Michael
Buell's Tacoma Gallery
I know this hasn't been talked about in a while but I was wondering if anyone has done anything for this issue?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
NUMB LOCK is a splendid one to beholdNUMB LOCK is a splendid one to beholdNUMB LOCK is a splendid one to beholdNUMB LOCK is a splendid one to beholdNUMB LOCK is a splendid one to beholdNUMB LOCK is a splendid one to beholdNUMB LOCK is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bob I.
NUMB LOCK's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb This could work...

It is a license plate frame from Alpine to mount their rear view camera...

http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_1...FUyY4AodHC4AcA
Old 05-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
SAC'D FJC
sbechtold is on a distinguished road

sbechtold's Tacoma Gallery
Not yet, but I will be looking into this soon...
Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
clcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to beholdclcoyle is a splendid one to behold
clcoyle's Tacoma Gallery
Stand-by...I have relocated my camera and I will post the write-up soon.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Go BIG or Go HOME
Buell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud ofBuell has much to be proud of

Buell's Tacoma Gallery
Had a bracket built up and used the original housing for mine to relocate right above the license plate

Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell View Post
Had a bracket built up and used the original housing for mine to relocate right above the license plate

Cool, what's it look like on the screen?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Go BIG or Go HOME

Buell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
Cool, what's it look like on the screen?
Looks basically the same but a little lower. We adjusted the angle down to make sure we had a good picture. Can't complain.