1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Move switches?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by qnyla, May 15, 2011.

1. May 15, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    qnyla

qnyla [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2006 & 2016 DCSB TRD Off Road 6-Speed
    Is it easy to move one of the switches from the upper row of switches (either inverter switch or E locker switch) to the lower row on the left side of the dash? Is the wiring harness long enough to accommodate the move?

I have two blanks on the lower row, but want to locate a new switch for some offroad lights (using a FJ Aux Light Switch) on the upper row next to the factory fog switch.

I just wanted a heads up before I go start ripping into the dash and could not find any past threads on this.

Thanks.

IMG_9684-TO.jpg

2. May 15, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I just added a switch for my Hella lights in the upper part, and the wiring harness behind the dash didn't look like it had much "extra" wire that would allow any of the OEM switches to be relocated. You'll probably have to cut into the wiring and splice in extra wire.

3. May 15, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    viperstd

viperstd Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs
    Yes it is easy. There is enough room.

[​IMG]

4. May 15, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    I believe each switch is keyed to fit each hole so they always put them in the "correct" location. It will take some time with a file or razor knife to fit them in. Of course, I could be wrong.....

5. May 15, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    viperstd

viperstd Tacoma convert

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD SR5 DC LB
    AllPro Front and Rear trail armor & full skid plates, Demello Hybrid Rock Crushers, Old Man Emu suspension, Warn 8000# winch, PIAA SMR fogs, perforated + heated leather seats, in-dash DVD/NAV/Sound, RE subs
    To clarify (since I was in a rush to get to the store when I posted), the switch blanks are keyed for the individual switches. A dremel, file, razor, etc easily fixes the keying. The wiring harness is long enough. In the picture you can see that I have moved the switches all around.

6. May 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    qnyla

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the helpful responses guys.

I can see in the photo from viperstd that he has moved switches to the lower level. Great, just what I was looking for!

7. May 15, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    qnyla

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    Oh, BTW, how do you access the upper switch area. The lower section is easy enough to remove, but it looks like the upper section is enclosed. Will it be self evident when I get that far?

8. May 16, 2011 at 2:00 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    OP i'm going to look at moving my locker in the daylight today. i kinda did to night. i think it will work! take the coin tray out and you maybe able to get your hand up in there. i don't like the locker there b/c i have hit it going for fog lights. luckily i was parked so no posable damage to dif! and i dont want to hit it going down road at 45+MPH so i want to just try and put one of the blanks from lower switch area to the upper. i'll see and take pic. if i can.

edit: thanks OP i just found out what the middle one on lower switch area. lol. i have all what you do but i don't have the clutch start cancel. i have an auto. but they plug is there just plugged in to the back of the blank switch. well i think any ways.

Products Discussed in

To Top