Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Move switches?

Old 05-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Move switches?

Is it easy to move one of the switches from the upper row of switches (either inverter switch or E locker switch) to the lower row on the left side of the dash? Is the wiring harness long enough to accommodate the move?

I have two blanks on the lower row, but want to locate a new switch for some offroad lights (using a FJ Aux Light Switch) on the upper row next to the factory fog switch.

I just wanted a heads up before I go start ripping into the dash and could not find any past threads on this.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Move switches?-img_9684-.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
I just added a switch for my Hella lights in the upper part, and the wiring harness behind the dash didn't look like it had much "extra" wire that would allow any of the OEM switches to be relocated. You'll probably have to cut into the wiring and splice in extra wire.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
vinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vinnyvavoom's Tacoma Gallery
I believe each switch is keyed to fit each hole so they always put them in the "correct" location. It will take some time with a file or razor knife to fit them in. Of course, I could be wrong.....
Old 05-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstd View Post
Yes it is easy. There is enough room.

To clarify (since I was in a rush to get to the store when I posted), the switch blanks are keyed for the individual switches. A dremel, file, razor, etc easily fixes the keying. The wiring harness is long enough. In the picture you can see that I have moved the switches all around.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the helpful responses guys.

I can see in the photo from viperstd that he has moved switches to the lower level. Great, just what I was looking for!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #7

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, BTW, how do you access the upper switch area. The lower section is easy enough to remove, but it looks like the upper section is enclosed. Will it be self evident when I get that far?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:00 AM   #8
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
OP i'm going to look at moving my locker in the daylight today. i kinda did to night. i think it will work! take the coin tray out and you maybe able to get your hand up in there. i don't like the locker there b/c i have hit it going for fog lights. luckily i was parked so no posable damage to dif! and i dont want to hit it going down road at 45+MPH so i want to just try and put one of the blanks from lower switch area to the upper. i'll see and take pic. if i can.

edit: thanks OP i just found out what the middle one on lower switch area. lol. i have all what you do but i don't have the clutch start cancel. i have an auto. but they plug is there just plugged in to the back of the blank switch. well i think any ways.