1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

my Hi-Lift install and other fun.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NetMonkey, May 15, 2011.

1. May 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    so, i have had my lift for about 9 months now, but i just got to thinking the other day that i wouldnt be able to jack up my truck with the stock jack. i had never considered jacking options after i got the lift. my wife and i have been off-roading several times and we would have been screwed if we got a flat tire.

so i went to Amazon and picked up a 48" Hi-Lift jack and some Hi-Lift accessories. amazon had everything on sale and i saved about $60 off of retail.
    [​IMG]

i watched a bunch of the product videos on the Hi-Lift website to make sure that i knew how to properly operate the jack. good thing too, because you can really hurt your self if you dont know what you are doing. so, had to test the jack out...
    [​IMG]

i used the slider as a lift point and noticed that it flexed a little. maybe 1/4-1/2 inch. once i set the trunk back down, the slider returned to its normal position. is this flexing something that i should be concerned about? also, should i ever be concerned about the welds braking? you can see the flexing in the follow pic.
    [​IMG]

i have the rocky mount bicycle mounts already installed on my bed rails so i thought up a way to utilize them to mount the Hi-Lift to.
    [​IMG]

i figured that i could attach 6 inch flat corner braces to the rocky mounts and hang the Hi-Lift to the braces.
    [​IMG]

i drilled holes in the braces to match the rocky mounts and attached them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

slid the rocky mount into the bed rail for a test fit.
    [​IMG]

used a hex bolt and a series of washers and nuts to make a pin to hang the jack from.
    [​IMG]

slid the rocky mount back on for a test fit again.
    [​IMG]

attached the Hi-Lift to the braces for a test fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

tightened everything up. i also tested how secure the jack is and its pretty good. the base of the jack rests against the bed side and the handle keeper is also snug against the bed side. so there is no rattling.
    [​IMG]

the silver braces were glaring to me so i painted them black. its a poor paint job, but its gonna get weathered anyway.
    [​IMG]

well, while the paint dries, i can do the diff breather reloaction mod. i used 6 feet of 1/2 inch vacuum hose.
    [​IMG]

stock diff breather.
    [​IMG]

new joint.
    [​IMG]

my drill just barely fit to drill the 1/2 inch hole in the bed pocket. i am glad it did; i didnt feel like removing the bed pocket :)
    [​IMG]

i fed the hose through the hole and attached the new diff breather.
    [​IMG]

ran the hose from the bed pocket and on top of the truck frame.
    [​IMG]

i followed a collection of wiring and then routed it down near the existing brake lines. i gave it enough slack to allow for the axle to flex, but the hose wont rub against anything.
    [​IMG]

used 3 zip ties to secure the hose to the truck.
    [​IMG]

ok.. the diff breather mod is done and the paint is now dry enough to handle the braces. i reinstalled everything and secured the jack to the braces.
    [​IMG]

the jack fits nicely against the front of the truck bed.
    [​IMG]

i found a cable lock at home depot and routed it through the jack and the rocky mounts.
    [​IMG]

i also got the neoprene jack cover to potect it from the weather. i was able to tuck the lock inside as well.
    [​IMG]

everything done. the jack is out of the way and is low enough that i can still utilize the bicycle mounts.
    [​IMG]

i like how the jack is below the top of the bed.
    [​IMG]

so now that i have the hi-Lift, i dont need to carry around that little stock bottle jack. so i went to pull the jack out and found this little bag next to it. i have had the truck for almost 2 years and i never noticed this bag. hell, i have never even looked in the compartment where the jack sits :rolleyes:
    anyway, i couldnt figure out where this would go.
    [​IMG]

where would that go in the truck?
    [​IMG]

so i was moving a bunch of equipment around in the truck and i moved the seat back forward. viola! thats where that holder goes.
    [​IMG]

its pretty tight in there... i am not sure what toyota expected to be placed back there.
    [​IMG]

well... its perfect for the tow strap :)
    [​IMG]

ohh... and while i was shopping on amazon, i also picked up an air compressor for the trail. i dont have plans to mount it to the truck at this point. i just figured i would take it along when i know i am going off roading.
    [​IMG]

thanks for looking :)

2. May 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Clean installs! :D

3. May 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Looks good

4. May 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I have that same bike lock, but I couldn't get it to fit in one of the little holes in the hi-lift. Is yours just wrapped around the hi-lift or did you fit it through one of the little holes?

5. May 15, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    This read like a children's book - in the best possible way!! Couldn't stop reading. Nice installs, too.

6. May 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    i was able to get it through the larger hole on the lifting arm (i dont know the exact name of that part).

7. May 15, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
    Sweet job!

8. May 15, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    +1 for a great write up!

9. May 15, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    ahh ok. I'll have to check that out

10. May 15, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    jackrules

jackrules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    awesome write up!!!! Wish i had the money for a high lift jack and some sliders...

what jack would you guys reccomend if i don't have sliders? I feel like it'd be nice to have a jack better than the oem one out in the desert...

11. May 16, 2011 at 1:56 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Very Awesome writeup.
    The jack is very useful. I have Shrockworks Sliders and have used the Jack several times on them. I noticed a little flexing as well. I don't think it is too serious though.
    I love your mount you made. Very creative!

12. May 16, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    good to know thats normal behavior. thanks.

13. May 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    here is where it went through.

jack.jpg

14. May 16, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Nice job netmonkey. I haven't gotten rid of the stock bottle jack just incase someday I'm in a situation where I need it even with the hi lift. Probably never will need it, but I'd hate to need it and not have it

15. May 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Hi-Lift for the win. I just put the 60" one in a couple weeks ago with the 4XRAC mounts (with padlocks right in the bolts for security) but I had to drill holes in the side of the bed to mount it. I like the security of the mount system and how it rides below the rails, too. It's a must-have if you have a lift and sliders.

Isn't that little cargo net for your center console? I have what looks like the same one in there and it keeps stuff off to the side out of the way.

16. May 16, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    Ahhh ok! so you lock it up, then you put the neoprene cover on.

Yeah I had the cover on, put it on my custom rack, and was like, hmmmm where do I put this lock?

17. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    4drTaco

4drTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    West Palm Beach
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 V6
    aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Craven Speed Stubby antenna, Craven Speed Chimex, extra D-ring(s) installed, CSI w580 winch receiver & shackle, Cobra radar detector, Ultra-gauge, Debadged, Fire Extinguisher, Delta bike mount, Front window tint and windshield visor tinted, Kensington iPhone mount installed, 4-dr sill protectors, smoked license plate cover, front emblem plasti-dipped, Thule roof racks with softies, locking gas cap!
    @ NetMonkey

Where did you buy/get your gold bolts behind your bike mount and "L" mount for jack.. trying to do some mods to my bed and those are exactly what I had in mind!

18. Feb 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Theres a thread on this site about those.

Google Machinist t-nuts and spring loaded t-nuts

19. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    that was a kit from rocky mounts used for the bike mount. i think its $15.

20. Sep 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Just stumbled across this thread while searching for a cost efficient way to mount the hilift. You sir are a wizard. I don't have bike mounts so I need to start with is the small rectangular blocks that go in the bedrail section.

p.s.
    You would be surprised what that little bottle jack can do. Werked fer me

Products Discussed in

To Top