Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

my Hi-Lift install and other fun.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
my Hi-Lift install and other fun.

so, i have had my lift for about 9 months now, but i just got to thinking the other day that i wouldnt be able to jack up my truck with the stock jack. i had never considered jacking options after i got the lift. my wife and i have been off-roading several times and we would have been screwed if we got a flat tire.

so i went to amazon and picked up a 48" Hi-Lift jack and some Hi-Lift accessories. amazon had everything on sale and i saved about $60 off of retail.

i watched a bunch of the product videos on the Hi-Lift website to make sure that i knew how to properly operate the jack. good thing too, because you can really hurt your self if you dont know what you are doing. so, had to test the jack out...

i used the slider as a lift point and noticed that it flexed a little. maybe 1/4-1/2 inch. once i set the trunk back down, the slider returned to its normal position. is this flexing something that i should be concerned about? also, should i ever be concerned about the welds braking? you can see the flexing in the follow pic.

i have the rocky mount bicycle mounts already installed on my bed rails so i thought up a way to utilize them to mount the Hi-Lift to.

i figured that i could attach 6 inch flat corner braces to the rocky mounts and hang the Hi-Lift to the braces.

i drilled holes in the braces to match the rocky mounts and attached them.

slid the rocky mount into the bed rail for a test fit.

used a hex bolt and a series of washers and nuts to make a pin to hang the jack from.

slid the rocky mount back on for a test fit again.

attached the Hi-Lift to the braces for a test fit.

tightened everything up. i also tested how secure the jack is and its pretty good. the base of the jack rests against the bed side and the handle keeper is also snug against the bed side. so there is no rattling.

the silver braces were glaring to me so i painted them black. its a poor paint job, but its gonna get weathered anyway.

well, while the paint dries, i can do the diff breather reloaction mod. i used 6 feet of 1/2 inch vacuum hose.

stock diff breather.

new joint.

my drill just barely fit to drill the 1/2 inch hole in the bed pocket. i am glad it did; i didnt feel like removing the bed pocket

i fed the hose through the hole and attached the new diff breather.

ran the hose from the bed pocket and on top of the truck frame.

i followed a collection of wiring and then routed it down near the existing brake lines. i gave it enough slack to allow for the axle to flex, but the hose wont rub against anything.

used 3 zip ties to secure the hose to the truck.

ok.. the diff breather mod is done and the paint is now dry enough to handle the braces. i reinstalled everything and secured the jack to the braces.

the jack fits nicely against the front of the truck bed.

i found a cable lock at home depot and routed it through the jack and the rocky mounts.

i also got the neoprene jack cover to potect it from the weather. i was able to tuck the lock inside as well.

everything done. the jack is out of the way and is low enough that i can still utilize the bicycle mounts.

i like how the jack is below the top of the bed.

so now that i have the hi-Lift, i dont need to carry around that little stock bottle jack. so i went to pull the jack out and found this little bag next to it. i have had the truck for almost 2 years and i never noticed this bag. hell, i have never even looked in the compartment where the jack sits
anyway, i couldnt figure out where this would go.

where would that go in the truck?

so i was moving a bunch of equipment around in the truck and i moved the seat back forward. viola! thats where that holder goes.

its pretty tight in there... i am not sure what toyota expected to be placed back there.

well... its perfect for the tow strap

ohh... and while i was shopping on amazon, i also picked up an air compressor for the trail. i dont have plans to mount it to the truck at this point. i just figured i would take it along when i know i am going off roading.

thanks for looking
Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good
Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I have that same bike lock, but I couldn't get it to fit in one of the little holes in the hi-lift. Is yours just wrapped around the hi-lift or did you fit it through one of the little holes?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
I have that same bike lock, but I couldn't get it to fit in one of the little holes in the hi-lift. Is yours just wrapped around the hi-lift or did you fit it through one of the little holes?
i was able to get it through the larger hole on the lifting arm (i dont know the exact name of that part).
Old 05-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet job!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for a great write up!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
i was able to get it through the larger hole on the lifting arm (i dont know the exact name of that part).
ahh ok. I'll have to check that out
Old 05-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
awesome write up!!!! Wish i had the money for a high lift jack and some sliders...

what jack would you guys reccomend if i don't have sliders? I feel like it'd be nice to have a jack better than the oem one out in the desert...
Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 AM   #11
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Very Awesome writeup.
The jack is very useful. I have Shrockworks Sliders and have used the Jack several times on them. I noticed a little flexing as well. I don't think it is too serious though.
I love your mount you made. Very creative!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
The flexing is just the open C channel frame flexing.....normal
good to know thats normal behavior. thanks.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
ahh ok. I'll have to check that out
here is where it went through.
Attached Thumbnails
my Hi-Lift install and other fun.-jack.jpg  
Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job netmonkey. I haven't gotten rid of the stock bottle jack just incase someday I'm in a situation where I need it even with the hi lift. Probably never will need it, but I'd hate to need it and not have it
Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Hi-Lift for the win. I just put the 60" one in a couple weeks ago with the 4XRAC mounts (with padlocks right in the bolts for security) but I had to drill holes in the side of the bed to mount it. I like the security of the mount system and how it rides below the rails, too. It's a must-have if you have a lift and sliders.

Isn't that little cargo net for your center console? I have what looks like the same one in there and it keeps stuff off to the side out of the way.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #16
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
here is where it went through.
Ahhh ok! so you lock it up, then you put the neoprene cover on.

Yeah I had the cover on, put it on my custom rack, and was like, hmmmm where do I put this lock?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Theres a thread on this site about those.

Google Machinist t-nuts and spring loaded t-nuts
Old 02-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drTaco View Post
@ NetMonkey

Where did you buy/get your gold bolts behind your bike mount and "L" mount for jack.. trying to do some mods to my bed and those are exactly what I had in mind!
that was a kit from rocky mounts used for the bike mount. i think its $15.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Just stumbled across this thread while searching for a cost efficient way to mount the hilift. You sir are a wizard. I don't have bike mounts so I need to start with is the small rectangular blocks that go in the bedrail section.

p.s.
You would be surprised what that little bottle jack can do. Werked fer me