Notices

Removing EGR from 4WD 2TR-FE

Old 05-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
RiverRatMatt is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Matt
RiverRatMatt's Tacoma Gallery
Removing EGR from 4WD 2TR-FE

I have a 2010 4x4 Tacoma with the 2.7L 2TR-FE.

It will never need to pass emissions tests, and I'm looking to get a little bit more power out of it. I have a K&N Air filter, but I haven't had it very long and will probably go back to a normal air filter, because I hear it can gum up the MAF and cause issues over time.

Removing the EGR system seems like the next logical step to increase torque, but I'm having trouble finding info on what all would have to be done.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I really don't see what removing a properly functioning EGR would do to increase torque on any engine. When you are at high throttle, EGR shuts off anyway.

Lack of a functioning EGR will cause the computer to set a trouble code and probably illuminate the CEL.

It seems to me that the next logical step would be the exhaust. I'd leave the EGR alone.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure that engine has an EGR system?

G
Old 05-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I think they call it an air switching valve in the service manual
Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
No EGR valve on the newer engines....
Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You won't gain power by removing it if it even has one. As far as I know it is closed at high loads and full throttle.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You won't gain power by removing it if it even has one. As far as I know it is closed at high loads and full throttle.
And at idle. The EGR is used to reduce cumbustion chamber temps, by introducing exhaust gasses into the CC at part throttle settings. This is only on vehicles that have them. IIRC, The last Tacoma engine to run with an EGR valve is the 2.7 in the first gens.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
EMS:
That doesn't make any sense; EGR recirculates hot exhaust gasses into the intake to recombust them, ensuring that all the 'bad' stuff is burned.

EGR, as far as I have always known, reduces power, gas mileage, etc, but allows engines to pass California's stupid emissions laws.

Also I'm not talking about full throttle power, and the engine has plenty of power in 4Low where I need it most. I'm just looking to improve around town performance a little bit and possibly increase gas mileage.

Also, I'm not willing to change the factory exhaust system. Only intake mod I'm likely to do would be a snorkel, but I don't need one at this point.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatMatt View Post
That doesn't make any sense; EGR recirculates hot exhaust gasses into the intake to recombust them, ensuring that all the 'bad' stuff is burned.

EGR, as far as I have always known, reduces power, gas mileage, etc, but allows engines to pass California's stupid emissions laws.

Also I'm not talking about full throttle power, and the engine has plenty of power in 4Low where I need it most. I'm just looking to improve around town performance a little bit and possibly increase gas mileage.

Also, I'm not willing to change the factory exhaust system. Only intake mod I'm likely to do would be a snorkel, but I don't need one at this point.
What doesnt "Make sense"?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
justinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
justinhw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
No EGR valve on the newer engines....
agreed
the 2tr-fe doesn't have an an EGR system. There is a pump for the air injection system which is smog equipment, but it's not belt driven and (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think it uses too much current.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhw View Post
agreed
the 2tr-fe doesn't have an an EGR system. There is a pump for the air injection system which is smog equipment, but it's not belt driven and (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think it uses too much current.
Ok, that makes sense to me. Interesting.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
justinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
you actually got me thinking, and I'm not sure about the operation of the system- e.g. if it is pumping air into the exhaust constantly. I have a feeling not because there is 1. an air switching valve and 2. a vacuum line connected to a pressure sensor on the intake.

I've read somewhere that is mainly used during warm-up operation but I'm not sure, maybe someone else can shed some light?

References:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...a/01200110.pdf
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...a/01200210.pdf
Old 05-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
anyways that's off topic, apologies
Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Regear it or get a supercharger.