1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Calibrating Overhead Compass - How Many Turns with Truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tunngavik, May 15, 2011.

1. May 15, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    I'm trying to recalibrate my overhead compass and have followed the owners manual to a T.

1. Program in correct declination
    2. Have display on CAL and drive slowly in a counterclockwise circle in an open parking lot (i.e. no nearby buildings, no powerlines etc).

It won't go off the CAL setting. I've done this twice - one time making 13 circles and still nothing. I'm worried if I do it any more someone is going to call the cops on me for weird behavior. I've programmed a family members GMC truck and Nissan X-Terra so I've done thing before with other makes/models.

How many times do you have to turn in a circle to calibrate this thing? If anyone can provide some helpful feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

2. May 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    What are the exact instructions? Could you type em out here for posterity or take a pic even? I have the compass. I set the correct declination then just pressed the button to get out of programming mode, but might not have been right (tho seems to be working 100%).

There is also a VAR setting and CAL setting and I'm not sure which is which.

3. May 16, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar

1. stop vehicle where it is safe to drive in a circle
    2. press overhead console switch until VAR appears on display
    3. press switch until your declination code is complete - if the direction is displayed several seconds after adjustment then calibration is complete
    4. if not complete, press the switch until CAL appears on the display - at this time compass direction is locked at N
    5. Drive vehicle in a circle at 8kph until direction is displayed
    6. when CAL goes off and the compass display returns to normal mode then calibration is complete

4. May 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    vtdog

vtdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    I used the instructions in the owners manual and it set after 1 circle. The compass was set to TX (where built) and showed a noticable change in ordinal points after the re-set

5. May 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Awesome thanks for the info!

Products Discussed in

To Top