Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

E-Locker ... Normal behavior?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
E-Locker ... Normal behavior?

Hey guys... I'm off paved road a decent amount, but most of what I do rarely requires more than 4hi. In my case, the e-locker truly is an emergency device. Anyway, since I've had the truck (14 months now), I've only engaged the locker maybe 3 or 4 times just to try it out / work the mechanism.

Now I'm sure it's still really tight as it's still so new. But as I am new to the world of lockers, I'm curious if what I am seeing is normal behavior.
  1. When I engage the locker in 4lo, I usually have to hit the button 4 or 5 times to get it to engage. I'll stop, hit it, it won't engage, so I'll turn it off, and then creep a few feet, then try again. That's frustrating.

So am I doing it wrong? Should I just hit the button, and leave it lock in as I creep forward and the gears eventually line up? I was under the assumption the locker should only be engaged/disengaged when fully stopped. Can someone give me some advice here?
    -
  2. Tonight I engaged the locker in 4lo. I them clicked out of 4lo (in neutral) back to 4hi, but the locker remained engaged (icon illuminated on dash, ABS off, etc.). I wondered if something went wrong, so I hit the button on and off several times ... nothing. I turned the truck off and back on ... it was still engaged. Finally, I just drove forward maybe 15 feet or so, and it finally disengaged on it's own.

Is that normal behavior with the e-locker? Is it supposed to disengage when fully stopped? I know it's not supposed to remain on in 4hi. Or after shifting out of 4lo, and turning off the locker, are you supposed to just drive a bit to get it to disengage? And how tough is the damn thing? Maybe I'm babying it too much. But all those clinks and clunks under the truck always worry me!
Again any advice for this noob is appreciated.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post

Now I'm sure it's still really tight as it's still so new. But as I am new to the world of lockers, I'm curious if what I am seeing is normal behavior.[LIST=1][*]When I engage the locker in 4lo, I usually have to hit the button 4 or 5 times to get it to engage. I'll stop, hit it, it won't engage, so I'll turn it off, and then creep a few feet, then try again. That's frustrating.

So am I doing it wrong? Should I just hit the button, and leave it lock in as I creep forward and the gears eventually line up? Yes.

[*]Tonight I engaged the locker in 4lo. I them clicked out of 4lo (in neutral) back to 4hi, but the locker remained engaged (icon illuminated on dash, ABS off, etc.). I wondered if something went wrong, so I hit the button on and off several times ... nothing. I turned the truck off and back on ... it was still engaged. Finally, I just drove forward maybe 15 feet or so, and it finally disengaged on it's own.

Is that normal behavior with the e-locker? Yes Is it supposed to disengage when fully stopped? I know it's not supposed to remain on in 4hi. Or after shifting out of 4lo, and turning off the locker, are you supposed to just drive a bit to get it to disengage? Yes And how tough is the damn thing? Fairly tough, what you're doing is pretty easy compared to what some people here do.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Dane-Taco is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Justus
Dane-Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, push the button and move forward while turning slightly. This will align your gears.

Theoretically, you can engage your locker any any speed assuming you are moving straight. The locker prevent the left and right axles from moving at DIFFERENT rates of speed.

As for the disengage, I accidentally pushed my locker button a couple of months ago, trying to turn off my fog lights. I was turning into a parking lot and instantly realized I pushed the wrong button and disengaged, but with the outer tire chirping the entire turn it didn't release until I completely straightened out. (locker mod)

These lockers are tough, don't baby it!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane-Taco View Post
These lockers are tough, don't baby it!

Bull. 2nd gen e-locked diffs can't take a beating.

The easier you can go on it the better, but it's not made of glass. Just avoid wheelspin and hop.

If you want it tough, you need aftermarket gears.