Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My poor Tacoma

Old 10-03-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Tacomaniac is on a distinguished road
Tacomaniac's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy My poor Tacoma

I was involved in a pretty serious 4 car pileup which thankfully had no serious injuries except for the vehicles. All 4 vehicles had to be towed. It's at the dealership having an estimate done. It is a 2006 Double Cab SR5 with 35000 miles and was in like new condition. The front impact was about 40+ mph full force and the second impact was to the rear at the same speed, no brakes/skid marks into the rear. Do you think the following sounds like it will be enough to total it?

Front grill/lights/fascia gone, radiator smashed, all hardware on front of engine smashed, engine pushed back and dropped slightly, hood crumpled, crumpled in front of both front doors where front of truck was pushed back and it buckled, doors had to be forcefully popped open. Not sure if steering wheel was pushed in or firewall pushed back but something changed as the key was very close to dash but I was still in a bit of shock to notice those details. Airbag deployed. Then a Dodge charger went up under the tail at 40+ mph so I don't know how much damage occured there.

I just can't see it being able to be repaired back to as reliable of condition as it was.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I need pics.

And yes, it sounds like it will be totaled.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Unfortunately I don't have any on me. Am going to get some as soon as I can get out there (Hopefully tomorrow).
Old 10-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! Glad you are ok...
Old 10-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
jrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aircraft Maintenance
Name: John
jrw1965's Tacoma Gallery
Hate to hear that, good thing no serious injuries. Hopefully it will be totaled and you can just go get another one.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds totaled to me, but I'm no expert. I've read about three or four stories on this forum about serious accidents and all of them seem to have one thing in common. The trucks protect the drivers really well. I'm glad you're OK, and I hope all turns out well for you. I also feel good about my choice to drive a Tacoma.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Sad to see that was your first post!! I hope it wasnt your fault. How does that work anyway.. cause you rearended the other guy.. but it was because it was someone elses' fault...

Glad to know you're okay, and glad to know if it happens to any of us, we'll all be okay too !
=)
Old 10-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #8
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
I got hit in the rear and it pushed me into the car in front of me. Kid that hit me insurance paid for all 3 vehicles.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
Tail Gunner is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Tail Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
Airbag deployed = its totaled

Thats what happened to my first 2005 Tacoma, had a wreck with semi on the fifth day after I picked it up from the dealer, then got one just like it the next week. Insurance guy said if the airbag goes off its totaled, no matter if its a Ferrari or a Hyundai.

I am glad to hear that you are OK, sounded pretty gruesome.

If you have the oppurtunity to pull parts if its totaled LMK, I need the plastic liner piece behind the rear passenger seat.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Are you serious? The airbags would go off in a 15MPH dead square hit on a flat wall. Not even close enough to total a truck?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #11

BTW, nice to see some CG in here. I think all the branches are represented here now.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Doomsday Squad
Swwacoma is a jewel in the roughSwwacoma is a jewel in the roughSwwacoma is a jewel in the rough

Swwacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Swwacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
Are you serious? The airbags would go off in a 15MPH dead square hit on a flat wall. Not even close enough to total a truck?
Insurance people told me the same thing when I got in my first wreck, except it was more "you're lucky the airbags didn't go or we would have totalled it"...but mine was a rear end collision though because the concept of a stop sign escaped the driver behind me.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
The truck did that very well. The cab held up really well and all of the force was taken by the front of the truck and rear. The airbag sprained my wrist but it is getting better. Finally able to type with that hand again. A few slightly bruised ribs from the seat belt but other than that I'm perfectly fine.

3 of us received failure to maintain control tickets. Since there were 2 seperate chains of impacts my insurance and the car behind me have to work out what percentage each of them are going to cover but it will be split in some way between the two companies.

Yes, unfortunately I started the bad chain of events which was then followed by another bad chain of events. A 15 year perfectly clean driving record gone in the blink of an eye but thank God no one was injured. Something rolled off my seat, I looked down a couple of seconds, looked back up and the truck in front of me had come to a stop and BANG just as I stomped on the brakes followed by BANG from the back. It was the most forceful wreck I've ever been in and did knock the wind out of me but this truck did what it was designed to do and let the rest of the vehicle take the brunt of the force.

Just a reminder, it only takes a couple of seconds of inattention to turn everything upside down.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomaniac View Post
I was involved in a pretty serious 4 car pileup which thankfully had no serious injuries except for the vehicles. All 4 vehicles had to be towed. It's at the dealership having an estimate done. It is a 2006 Double Cab SR5 with 35000 miles and was in like new condition. The front impact was about 40+ mph full force and the second impact was to the rear at the same speed, no brakes/skid marks into the rear. Do you think the following sounds like it will be enough to total it?

Front grill/lights/fascia gone, radiator smashed, all hardware on front of engine smashed, engine pushed back and dropped slightly, hood crumpled, crumpled in front of both front doors where front of truck was pushed back and it buckled, doors had to be forcefully popped open. Not sure if steering wheel was pushed in or firewall pushed back but something changed as the key was very close to dash but I was still in a bit of shock to notice those details. Airbag deployed. Then a Dodge charger went up under the tail at 40+ mph so I don't know how much damage occured there.

I just can't see it being able to be repaired back to as reliable of condition as it was.
If the air bag pop out, the mainframe bend, the engine pushed back.... It will sound like total to me too. But first thing is you still OK..... Hope you work out with your insurance company and get it total. I just total my truck 1.5 months ago.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #15
Tail Gunner is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Tail Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
Yes I am very serious, it costs somewhere around 4 or 5 thousand dollars to order and replace a (1) blown airbag plus all of the related damage, that according to an insurance adjuster friend of mine. Did you know that the airbag actuator is actually an explosive, not like high explosive bombs and bullets but a class 1.9 explosive, thats something to think about when it comes out. If you ever notice that some people when they are exposed to an airbag deployment they will sometimes have a burn looking area on their face, hands, and arms, thats the powder burns from the explosive actuator going off at close proximity to unprotected flesh.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #16
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Gunner View Post
Yes I am very serious, it costs somewhere around 4 or 5 thousand dollars to order and replace a (1) blown airbag plus all of the related damage, that according to an insurance adjuster friend of mine. Did you know that the airbag actuator is actually an explosive, not like high explosive bombs and bullets but a class 1.9 explosive, thats something to think about when it comes out. If you ever notice that some people when they are exposed to an airbag deployment they will sometimes have a burn looking area on their face, hands, and arms, thats the powder burns from the explosive actuator going off at close proximity to unprotected flesh.
a girl i know, she totaled a Chrysler minivan, airbags blew, she had burns on face and hands pretty bad... she recovered 100% but yea, airbag air can burn
Old 10-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #17
Here are the pictures. The back took the impact amazingly well though I can't say the same about the front of their car. It did go under the bumper though so I can't tell if anything is damaged under the bed. I can't tell if the engine shifted or if it just looked like it because the front is smashed so far in.

Totaled or repairable, what do you think? Either way I plan on getting another truck. Luckily, I've already paid about 16-17k on this one so i shouldn't be upside down.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/Ubenripped/Truck/?action=view&current=70cdd858.pbw
Old 10-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here are the pictures. The back took the impact amazingly well though I can't say the same about the front of their car. It did go under the bumper though so I can't tell if anything is damaged under the bed. I can't tell if the engine shifted or if it just looked like it because the front is smashed so far in.

Totaled or repairable, what do you think? Either way I plan on getting another truck. Luckily, I've already paid about 16-17k on this one so i shouldn't be upside down.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/Ubenripped/Truck/?action=view&current=70cdd858.pbw
damn!!! really glad you are ok man......im gonna hope they total that!!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

SO sorry about the accident. Glad you weren't hurt and your truck protected you. I'd like to hope they'd total it out, but who knows. That would be alot of damage to repair if they wanted to go that way.

Hope it all works out for you.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
Yeah, I have a feeling it's going to be borderline and just depend on how much labor it's going to take and what the insurance company wants to do. I'm not keeping it though. I was rearended about 10-15 years ago in a Tercel. They repaired it but I started having all kinds of problems after that point. I had never had a single issue with it before the wreck.