LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

toyota tacoma clear coat

Old 05-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
toyota tacoma clear coat

Does anyone else have clear coat problems on your truck? My front bumper looks like it lost all of its clear coat and have no gloss at all. I bought my truck used with 14k and I'm second owner it was flawless with clean car fax. Took it to a detail shop and they said my bumper been repainted and who ever painted it forgot a step. He said they just did the base coat and no clear coat. So I figured he didn't know what he was talking about because when I bought the truck everything was in like new condition and was shiny. Anyone have any idea on what happened to my bumper? I think it weather beaten.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
MattS67 is on a distinguished road
MattS67's Tacoma Gallery
Can you post a picture? The most common issue with repaints is that they're not wetsanded properly, leaving an orange-peel texture and no gloss. Pics will help diagnose the issue...without them, we can't really tell what's going on.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
I do not think Toyota clear coats the bumpers.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Time for an ARB!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

I'll have picture up tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem with my front bumper. it doesn't shine like a new car but I think its normal. It kind of looks like it was painted with single stage. Luckily My taco is white.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah a pic will tell a lot. Perhaps it was a replacement part, OP. Doesn't take a whole lot to tear up a front bumper on these, and an OEM replacement is expensive as hell (think it's around $1500 for the part). It's easy enough to get off and replace by yourself though, so maybe the first owner Craigslisted a replacement on the cheap or something and did the work themselves .. which is why it doesn't show up on the Carfax.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #9

Old 05-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #10

Front Bumper is a lot duller in person. My truck is an 05 with only 42k miles on it. The rest of the truck is clean and still glossy. Do you guys think its a good idea to remove the front bumper and rattle can some duplicolor clear coat my self?
Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
I guess you could if you really wanted to. Or just remove the fogs, take it off and take it to a paint shop. They're pretty easy to get off. Shouldn't be too expensive for them to do a professional prep and clearcoat. Will definitely be better than a rattle can job.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Have you waxed the truck at all?
Old 05-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
I guess you could if you really wanted to. Or just remove the fogs, take it off and take it to a paint shop. They're pretty easy to get off. Shouldn't be too expensive for them to do a professional prep and clearcoat. Will definitely be better than a rattle can job.
It's about $300+ for prep and clear coat around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Yes, yesterday I used turtle wax ice liquid clay bar and turtle wax liquid ice synthetic wax. Still no luck
Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
probably not.

I also have a white 05 so it's a 6 year old paint. My bumper was kind of dull. I got it detailed and they clayed it polished and waxed it. Turned out a lot better. Some people get the idea the waxing your car is just to make it look good but wax protects your clear coat from micro dirt and debris. when your clear is ruff it takes away some shine too. so protect your clear coat.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post

Yes, yesterday I used turtle wax ice liquid clay bar and turtle wax liquid ice synthetic wax. Still no luck
use a real clay bar and wax. I'v used turtle liquid bar and wax and didn't last very long and results where ok.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post

It could probably still use a machine polish.

My Silver tends to get dull but after a machine polish with my porter cable DA it gets glossy again.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
probably not.

I also have a white 05 so it's a 6 year old paint. My bumper was kind of dull. I got it detailed and they clayed it polished and waxed it. Turned out a lot better. Some people get the idea the waxing your car is just to make it look good but wax protects your clear coat from micro dirt and debris. when your clear is ruff it takes away some shine too. so protect your clear coat.
I have. Those picture were taken after claying and waxing. And I've taken it to the detail shop and they suggested that I repaint it.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #18
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
ladies, the bumper and fenders arent clearcoated.

just take it to a body shop and have it done for 200 bucks. look at my build, i painted all the fenders to match the paint body. i havent done it to the front bumper but i will soon.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioso View Post

just take it to a body shop and have it done for 200 bucks. look at my build, i painted all the fenders to match the paint body. i havent done it to the front bumper but i will soon.
That's a nice truck love the wheels. Wish my front bumper was as shiny as yours.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioso View Post

damn you just added another mod to my list