1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-trac noise/whine??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WestonJ, May 15, 2011.

1. May 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    WestonJ

WestonJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab TRD Off-Road 4WD
    Added a Tool Box, rear spring TSB, Weathertech floor mats, Emergency lights,

i have never aired down the tires, i just hit 4h on the fly and im on top of the sand. no problems at all.

as far as the noise goes... it is only heard in 4lo with the A-trac on. no other times is it present. Im also not sure what to believe now, because some moderators earlier in the thread said that the noise was normal. I dont know anyone else around here that has a newer model TRD OR to compare it to.

2. May 17, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
  3. May 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    sorry to kinda thread jack OP!

but i just got used 07 TRD OR4x4 saturday. and i don't see any A-trac button? i have the RR dif lock button and i now it works! do 07's not have it?

4. May 17, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    WestonJ

WestonJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab TRD Off-Road 4WD
    Added a Tool Box, rear spring TSB, Weathertech floor mats, Emergency lights,
    i believe its only on the 2009's and newer. it would be right next to the cigarette lighter

5. May 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    oh ok that must be it. i have nothing there just the 2 power plugs. i new i was missing/did not have something. (seen photos of the area on here) but i thought maybe because i have auto. o well and thanks for the info!!:D

6. May 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Okay, well the only sounds the A-TRAC makes is a popping, banging, spring uncoiling set of sounds... as Crom's video has a bit of this noise in it. It sounds bad, but the A-TRAC works so good... and the manual says the noises are 'normal'.

However, I would not call it a whinning noise (unless that is your interpretation)... and the A-TRAC only makes the noises I described for brief moments as the tire is braked when it is in the air or slipping... and not constantly... since A-TRAC is on standby for traction loss and doesn't actually run constantly.

Products Discussed in

To Top