Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OEM Spring differences: DC, Access, Reg Cabs

Old 05-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
justinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
justinhw's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Spring differences: DC, Access, Reg Cabs

I've read here that the OEM spring rate for a DC is 540lbs/in. However, because there are weight differences in Regular, Access, and Double Cabs, does anyone know if spring differences are in length, rate, or both?

It doesn't make intuitive sense to me that they all use the exact same spring.

I would assume a similar length but different rate?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
The weight difference is very small.
That's a pretty general statement. There's a decent difference in weight between a Reg cab w/ 2.7L and a DCLB with a 4.0L... I'm curious to find out if they use a different set-up for these also.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
justinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjustinhw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sorry not to clarify. I meant 4x4 versions.

According to the toyota.com spec page, Curb weights (all 4x4, manual trans option):
Regular cab 2.7L = 3665lbs
Access cab 2.7L = 3955lbs
Access cab 4.0L = 4045lbs
Double cab 4.0L = 4130lbs

Considering people are upgrading the suspension with the addition of a 110-160lb bumper, I'd assume there must be spring differences! Granted, a bumper is in front of the rear axle whereas engine/cab differences places weight either on top of the front or in between axles.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Might check the parts lists and see if there are part number differences between the models.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Might check the parts lists and see if there are part number differences between the models.
That's a good idea! I'm having trouble finding those lists, the closest thing I've found so far is this but they have no data for 2005+ trucks with regards to suspension. Any help locating a list would be appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
No, they're *changing* the spring (debatable whether or not it is actually an upgrade...) just for the sake of changing the spring. Typically, they are after LIFT. It isn't to compensate for bumper weights.

And keep in mind how the weight differences will be distributed. Not all on the front.
I see what you mean, thanks. I have run into some threads about front suspension sag when adding something like an ARB bumper (like this). You do have a point in that a bumper places weight ahead of the front axle, whereas body/engine differences places weight in the center where the rear springs can help compensate for the additional weight. So there may very well be no differences (or very small differences) in the springs between models.

Ultimately, what I would like to be able to do (if the springs are in fact significantly different) is add an ARB bumper (no winch) and use a spring from say, an access cab, to maintain stock ride height (I have a regular cab).