1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission shudder from 3rd to 4th

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06tacodude, May 16, 2011.

1. May 16, 2011 at 1:39 AM
    06tacodude

06tacodude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    IG: @go_nesw
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 4, TC UCA, K&N filter, SG-II, Relentless Fabrication bumpers, RCI Sliders and tank skid, BajaDesigns LED, URDMAF, 4.56 Yukon Gears, Rear ARB locker, ARB dual air compressor, RLD cap, Prinsu cab rack, FNWheels Six Shooter.
    I went hiking today into the BigBasin area, the drive up is windy both uphill and downhill, at most no more than 45MPH. I used a lot of Gear 4 & 3 during the downhill to control my speed. Then, later in the evening I drove another 35miles of Highway (65-70MPH) cruising and stopped for dinner.

After getting back into my truck, I started noticing a hard shudder when the truck (in "D") shifts from 3rd to 4th during light acceleration, as if the engine was sputtering, feels like a torque converter issue. I could not duplicate the problem when the GearLever in "4".

There are no CODEs thrown onto my ScanGaugeII.
    I haven't checked the Transmission Fluid level ... could this be the reason?

66k miles, V6 5spd-Auto, 4x4

2. May 16, 2011 at 3:37 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    That's weird considering with the lever in 4, you're still shifting from 3 to 4. First thing to check would be fluid .. ever had it flushed? (you're @ 66k and the recommendation is 60k).

subbed

3. May 17, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    Tacozoid

Tacozoid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Katy Texas
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma Pre-runner
    Billsteins,Texas tint. Blue Dash mod. Console mod. in Blue, Customized grille
    [​IMG]Mine did that between 2nd and 3rd. I squirted some "Shudder stop" for Fords in the trans and it went away. I would not recomend any Ford sh*t in anyone's trans. but it did work for me. Use your own judgement.

Products Discussed in

To Top