Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hello OME and Hello TW

Old 05-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hello OME and Hello TW

Been lurking and learning for a while & figured it was time to join in the forum and tweak my truck a little.
I have an '09 Super White, Double Cab, 4X4 with TRD Off Road package. I bought the truck loaded (luggage rack, bluetooth, etc..) and added leather seats and Go Rhino black cab length steps bars when it was new - otherwise it's stock. I have nothing but praise for this truck for it's "out of the box" reliability, ride comfort, looks and 4WD capability on mild trails.
I just turned over 45K miles in the truck and started getting the itch to "do something" to it and since I'm pretty content with the factory wheels & trim - a slight lift seems the logical first step. I do some off roading in N. Ga., TN, NC & KY - mainly as a means to get somewhere I want to hunt or fish off the beaten path, but wouldn't call myself a "serious" off roader. My truck is my commuter for work and a tool to use for recreation. When I dented one of my step bars crossing a washed out stream bed I began a quest to give the truck a little more clearance without sacrificing it's utility too much.

Enough for the intro - now for the truck stuff.
I just ordered a "complete" OME 3" lift kit (885 coils) from ToyTec including the "Dakar" rear leaf pack. I started having second thoughts about whether I really needed the rear leafs since I've had the TSB springs done on my truck. As with ever other car I've modded - I finally decided since I didnt really need any of it - the heck with it - and just ordered the whole package anyway. From what I've read here - everyone seems pretty happy with the OME stuff and it should be engineered to work well together, so we'll see in about a week. I thought about going with the 5100s for the adjustability - but I put adjustable shocks on other vehicles before and never touched them again, so why not go with simpler? As far as ride quality - it's a truck and as somebody else stated it already rides pretty soft, so if the OEM kit makes it a little stiffer I'm fine with it. Plus, the double cab is pretty heavy & I'm sure that will smooth out the road ride once it settles in.
Hopefully, I'll be able to get the alignment into spec after the lift install since I'm sticking with the factory 16" wheels and OEM size tires.

Great site here with lots of good info! I'll post some pics with the new setup.
Cheers - Tim
Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, I used to live in Canton. Sounds like you're going to have a nice build going.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
you got right to the point.....

welcome to tw!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Bird is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
Bird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstocktaco View Post
I just ordered a "complete" OME 3" lift kit (885 coils) from ToyTec including the "Dakar" rear leaf pack. I started having second thoughts about whether I really needed the rear leafs...

Mine are going on this week. I have found that there are not a ton of "needs" on this website but some awesome resources and great ideas.

Welcome to TW!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the exact same OME kit last month , I'm happy with it .

The Dakars are a bit stiff in the rear if the truck is unloaded , but carry a load great .

Get UCA's to make sure you can get a proper alignment .
Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome!

I went with the OME kit as well, but instead of the dakar rear leafs I went with the add-a-leaf for my TSB rear leafs.

The ride is great, you will be happy.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
TanderSON is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
TanderSON's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same OME suspension on my AC and love it. It is a bit stiffer for sure with a dry bed, but I'm usually carrying a bunch of gear back there and that helps keep things smoother.

Installation was easy and as ARB states, no extras are required. The UCA's are fine, CV angles are great. Brake lines could be extended if you want but it isn't really necessary. I would recommend using the fitting kit for the carrier bearing as well.

Good luck!

PS: Post - installation alignment was no issue and actually revealed a slight previous allignment issue.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'm really looking forward to getting this kit installed and giving the truck a little "face lift". As for the rear springs - I occasionally tow a 19' boat for short distances, so a little extra payload capacity will come in handy from time to time. If my luck is good this fall - I'll hopefully be toting a couple of fat KY deer in the back to the processor too!

I was a little concerned about the lift causing excessive wear on my CV's or carrier bearings. This is why I went with "only" the 3" lift. I ordered the "diff drop kit" from ToyTec with my setup - what exactly is this and is that what I need to accommodate the increased diff drive angle resulting from the lift?

Sorry if these are silly questions. I am fairly mechanically inclined & have extensively modded several previous rides for drag racing (1966 GTO, 2006 built motor turbocharged Mustang GT, 2008 Shelby GT 500), but am new to off road modding. From past experience, I also know that modding is a disease - I'm going to try to keep it "under control" with this truck.....yeah, right!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Post up some pics man! Good luck with the lift!!