1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Took a walk on the dark side...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ziffen, May 16, 2011.

1. May 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    ziffen

ziffen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Warner Robins, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 TRD Off Road 4x4 Long Bed in Army Green
    ...and it was a very short walk.

I'm back it the market for a new vehicle. My last two trucks have been Tacomas ('03 and my current '08.) I've looked at FJ Cruisers and Tundras but just didn't feel "right" in those.

A friend of mine works at a local Jeep dealer. He convinced me to take a look at a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I don't doubt the off road capability of the trucks, but they can't hold a candle to the Tacoma. The salesman tried his best to "talk up" the Jeep and "talk down" the Tacoma. He didn't seem to pleased we me when I picked apart the Jeep and defended my Tacoma. The thing road like a tank and had more wind noise than my wife's S2000 with the top down. The Jeep just wasn't my cup of tea.

I'll buy another Tacoma!!!

Please don't shun me for driving the Jeep. I promise it won't happen again.:D

2. May 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    Woodstocktaco

Woodstocktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 ORDC 4X4
    3" OME lift, 885 coils, Dakar rears, diff drop
    I sure am glad you posted this. Don't feel bad - I was thinking of taking a Jeep for a test drive a couple months ago when I decided to to invest a fraction of that money into "updating" my 09 Tacoma. I know I made the right decision and so did you!

3. May 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    welcome back!!!

4. May 16, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    I forgive you

5. May 16, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    chiefridr

chiefridr I don't want a large farva!

Member:
    Carrollton, TX
    Vehicle:
    16 DCTRDOR
    I have had much experience with Wranglers cuz my older brother has had at least 6 or 7 of em and he thinks they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think they're overpriced junk. He rips on me all the time about my Taco. When I showed him the pic at the top of the forum page of a Taco winching out a Wrangler, he thought it was the other way around. Thats how jaded he is on Wranglers.

6. May 16, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    That's awesome (says the guy who took the pic)

Funny that the guy pulling him out in said picture is post #3 in this thread. LOL
    Hiya Josh :wave:

I love old CJs, learned to drive in one but my mom has a 04 Rubi and I can't stand it.

7. May 17, 2011 at 3:53 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Heya Troy! whats up with the KS Rocks meet?

8. May 20, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    ziffen

ziffen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Warner Robins, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 TRD Off Road 4x4 Long Bed in Army Green
    Update!

I decided I was going to trade my truck in on a 2011 Double Cab 4x4. I've been in talks with two local dealers (trying to score the best deal I can.) In preparing to trade mine in I removed my black FJ Cruiser wheels and put the OE ones back on, put the OE radio back in, removed my Nfab step bars and unhooked the wiring for the fog light behind the Grillcraft grill.

The wife and I decided that we would make the purchase today or tomorrow. I was all excited on my home from work, thinking about what all I could do to my new truck. Cruising at about 65-70 MPH on the interstate and "BANG", busted windshield. To make matters worse, once I get home my wife and I decide to go get something to eat and go to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say about the windshield. About halfway to the restaurant I run over something in the road and get a flat tire (non-repairable.)

I've decided that the "Tacoma Gods" are against me trading this truck in. I think I'll just keep it!!! Upgraded stereo, lift kit, new windshield and new tires, here I come!!!

9. May 20, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    Jeep's are a guilty pleasure for me...i dont mind lol

10. May 20, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.

Sounds like you were thrown a couple curveballs. Good luck with your decision to keep or trade.

Products Discussed in

To Top