Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thinking about trading the Access cab for regular cab

Old 05-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about trading the Access cab for regular cab

I know it's largely a personal decision, but interested in your views nonetheless. I am thinking of trading my 09 V6 6 speed Access 4x4 for a 11 regular cab 4x4 4sp auto. Mine has 16k miles and the regular cab I am looking at is brand new.

On the face of it, checking KBB and calling dealers in my area, it looks like it's an even trade as both vehicles are worth roughly 22k (trade in value for mine and between invoice and MSRP on the reg cab).

My rationale for wanting the reg cab is the looks (always wanted a reg cab), gas mileage and auto tranny. I have always had sticks but the Taco 6 speed is probably the worst stick I have had - the ratios are fked up, it's notchy and the rpm hang drives me crazy. I know the 4 cylinder 4 speed is a dog, but I get my speed thrills elsewhere and don't mind a slow truck.

How much of a hit in resale value would I take down the line? I am thinking Access cabs hold their value more since they are more desirable to most of the buyers?

What do you guys think?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
GuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really nice
GuapOh's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, bad move methinks.

In the end, it's your call.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
I was just thinking about this myself.
But mine is an 06 V6, 6-speed with 95K on it so I figured I would be better off just keeping it.
I say go and see what they they will offer you and test drive the regular cab.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
to each their own, reg cabs look sick so i say go for it, the 5 speed is worth a test drive though cause I would think the auto is super slow, it feels better than the 6 speed
Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
I aways feel cramped in a regular cab, but I'm 6'1".
Old 05-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have both.

Love the access cab and the v6 engine. Hate the 6 speed and the two piece driveshaft shudder issues.

My work truck is an 09 regular cab, 5speed, 2wd (non prerunner). The power is not bad at all, plenty of room in the cab for me at 5 foot 10.

If you can get comfy seats in the regular cab and are happy with the power I say go for it.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
to each their own, reg cabs look sick so i say go for it, the 5 speed is worth a test drive though cause I would think the auto is super slow, it feels better than the 6 speed
X2 on test driving a 5 speed 4 cyl. The 5 speed actually feels heavy duty compared to the 6 speed.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
So you want an auto, and very limited storage space?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
jking3002 is on a distinguished road

Army: USAG Fort Knox
Name: Jonathan
jking3002's Tacoma Gallery
Well if you really hate the 6 speed that bad... I bet you could find someone with a similar v6 auto that wants to trade for the six speed though.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
6' here. I fit this thing perfectly (in fact I have the seat 2 or 3 notches forward from all the way back.

Regular cab, 4x4 automatic? Perfect. You'll love it. Go for it.

Steve
Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #11
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
try the 5 speed manual, i love mine, plus it feels as poweful as the Auto V6.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The 5 speeds are good from what I have read on this forum.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
How are the gears spaced on the 5 speed? The 1st gear on the 6 speed is ridiculously short and 6th gear revs too high.

Also, what about the RPM hang? Does it happen on the 5 speed also?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Access cab may hold value better, but the regular cab is two years newer, so it probably evens out.

Test drive the regular cab and see if it works for you. A bed tool box will probably be necessary to make up for the lost storage space.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed07regtacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
07regtacoman's Tacoma Gallery
I am 6'4" and I fit in my reg cab.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #16
This space intentionally left blank.
Boring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoring is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Discharged honorably many years ago.
Boring's Tacoma Gallery
Defiantly test drive a regular cab at the dealership. The bench seat is a sore spot for me, but I would have also liked factory power windows and door locks.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
But but...Where are you going to put your groceries in the rain?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
I say keep the access cab... more inside storage.

What about if your life changes - ie get a S.O., wife, kid, dog... would they all fit in the standard cab?

But like others have said, it's your call...
Old 05-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I wouldn't even consider the auto. The 5 speed feels solid and shifts pretty good. The 1-2 shift can be tricky because you need to rev first a little higher than the rest of the gears...but you get used to it. As for space, I'm 6'1" (or 6' 2" on a good day) and I fit fine in my regular cab. The seat is actually 1 notch up from the back to allow me to keep a bunch of stuff behind my seat.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
How are the gears spaced on the 5 speed? The 1st gear on the 6 speed is ridiculously short and 6th gear revs too high.

Also, what about the RPM hang? Does it happen on the 5 speed also?
I don't notice the RPM hang on the 4cyl. It might be there, but def not as bad as the v6.

Gearing on the 5 speed is just about perfect I think. Plenty of pickup in first and second. Fifth is about the same rpm as sixth on the V6, but very appropriate for the 4cyl. With a full load of tools and a tall aluminum shell, I have to use 3rd to maintain 70 on 7% grades, but the truck does not seem to mind that. The 4x4 may be different, I don't know.

My only gripe with the 5 speed is reverse is too high and sometimes have to burn the clutch backing out of steep driveways, but the six speed is like that too.