Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

High idling after cold start

Old 10-04-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
High idling after cold start

So, it's starting to get pretty cold here at night. Started my truck up this morning, and it was idling at around 1500-1600 RPMs in my driveway. Took it for a drive, and once it warmed up, it was idling around 900-1000 RPM's. Does this seem like the norm for most of you, or should I have the dealer look at it when I go in for my complimentary oil change?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Beach Prerunner
TheOne is on a distinguished road

TheOne's Tacoma Gallery
pretty normal while choke is on
Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
normal for the tacoma.....heats up the engine faster.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah its normal mine has done that since day one when i got it.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
all my cars have done it. The higher revs let it warm up faster.
A Warm engine is a happy engine
Old 10-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
normal wait til you hear at zero & your seat's like a brick
Old 10-05-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
As others have said, normal, but my Tacoma seems to warm up at a higher rev than my other cars have in the morning.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
u must be young, when i started driving my car had carburetor. when it was cold the choke would be closed and it would idle high. now with newer cars with fuel injection it is all comp controlled but it is the same concept. in other words it is normal all cars do it. till it warms up.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
hate2work's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, pretty much normal. I start my truck, count to two and then put it in gear and go. Most modern cars are designed to be driven cold, and warm up on the fly
Old 10-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2work View Post
Yep, pretty much normal. I start my truck, count to two and then put it in gear and go. Most modern cars are designed to be driven cold, and warm up on the fly
warm up on the fly? count to 2? i hope u don't do that in the winter? i hope i never buy a used car that u owned lol
Old 10-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
my 4 runner heats up so fast. I start it, let it idle a couple seconds, and idle down the street then trying to keep rpms below 2K until I see the needle move, which is usually a couple blocks later.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
hate2work's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allrsdup View Post
warm up on the fly? count to 2? i hope u don't do that in the winter? i hope i never buy a used car that u owned lol
Yep, that's exactly how I do it. I hope you're not trying to insinuate that letting your car/truck warm up for longer than that has a benefit, are you? All you'd be doing is wasting fossil fuel.

BTW, my last vehicle had just under 200k until it got wrecked, ran perfect until the crash. You'd do well to buy one of my used cars.

There are, of course, exceptions to every rule. For example, if you live in International Falls, Minn, and you park outside in the winter, I'm thinking a different set of rules would apply.

Capiche?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #13
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
my brothers who have toyotas start up thier cars and immediatly shift gears, i freak out cause its not right, so when they start and the engine is high reving and they shift and the engine drops rpm's it doesnt seem right, i try to give my truck time to get its juices flowing before shift and my truck is always sitting out side sadly