Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Speed bump clank

Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Smoov D is on a distinguished road
Smoov D's Tacoma Gallery
Speed bump clank

Howdy yall. First time tacoma owner and poster here. I got a brand new 2.7 manual a few weeks ago and it's been treating me well, just have one noise question.

When I hit speed bumps there's a pronounced clank underneath. I hear it upfront as well, but it occurs it the rear far more often. Is this normal? I did take it out in the woods right after I got it but nothing too wild, definitely no mud. Just curious if there's something I loosened up a bit?
Thanks for any info!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Smoov D's Tacoma Gallery
Ya doesn't really sound like the mudflaps. It doesn't seem limited to either side also, hard to tell where it's coming from.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
meantaco's Tacoma Gallery
do you feel it on the floor?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
PineappleGrenade is on a distinguished road

Name: Zach
PineappleGrenade's Tacoma Gallery
i have a noise to, but i think mine is the lower seat belt bolt covers on my access cab doors.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
meantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeantaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i have a noise too when i pass over speed bumps. the sound comes from the back left and right! is it just me that when i pass through a dirt road the doors of the access cab rattle a bit ?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Smoov D's Tacoma Gallery
Leaf springs look good, doesn't feel like enough suspension travel to bottom out either.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Smoov D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meantaco View Post
do you feel it on the floor?
I don't feel it on the floor. What would that indicate though?
It's not terribly loud. I can barely hear it with the widow up, but it's real pronounced with the window down.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoov D View Post
Leaf springs look good, doesn't feel like enough suspension travel to bottom out either.
Did you check the torque on your U-bolts? Mine were loose on one side and I torqued them down and now no more noise for me going over speed bumps.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
It's a 2011. Take it back to the dealer.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #12
DonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Boatswain's Mate
Name: Don
DonL's Tacoma Gallery
I have an'08 TRD V6 with the same rattle, clunk, squeek or what ever. I thought it was the bed so I torked it down and I still have the damed thing. I've had it from day one and took it back to the dealer and guess what? They couldn't find it. I checked the exhaust system, had the rear spring TSB, put in Billy 5100's front and rear, new tires and it's still there. Drives me nuts. Never had anything like with my '89 or '97 Toyota trucks. They were solid as a rock. Don
Old 05-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Smoov D's Tacoma Gallery
Mystery clank indeed. I hate dealerships but decided to bring it by anyway so they can use their expensive tools and try to figure it out. No problem found, they said everything was tight as should be.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
That's weird. I've never heard of any clanks on a brand new truck before. I know a lot of guys get clanks after installing lifts...

Did you take the tech for a ride so he can hear it himself?

The jack underneath my back seat use to make a clank. Try checking that too.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
it's the shitty leaf springs in the back of the truck. mine did the same until i put in an aal. handled those "speed bumps" better.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Smoov D's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I took the tech out for a ride, we found a speedbump, and he clearly heard it. It's definitely not the bed, but beneath it. Maybe a loose component on the spare tire deal? I'll be poking around.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
it's the shitty leaf springs in the back of the truck. mine did the same until i put in an aal. handled those "speed bumps" better.
x2 its the leaf springs
Old 05-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #18
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Are you hitting the speed bumps fast or rolling over them while creeping? If fast, you could check the e-brake cable. There's a metal connector on the passenger side cable under the cab (at least on the DC) that made a clunking sound over bumps when mine was new. A bump would make the cable bounce up and down and this metal connector would bang on the truck. Wrapped it in duct tape so it wasn't a metal-on-metal clunk anymore and haven't heard it since.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #19

when i roll over slowly over the speed bump it makes the noise!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #20
Señor Fresco
DannyBFresco is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
DannyBFresco's Tacoma Gallery
i had the same problem so i took mine in 3 times and they finally figured out that one of my leaf springs was cracked towards the front of the leaf...i think it was the middle one