Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Motorcycle tie down points?

Old 05-20-2011, 04:52 AM   #1
Toycan is on a distinguished road

Toycan's Tacoma Gallery
Motorcycle tie down points?

I need to haul a race bike around periodically, I don't have any D Rings at front of bed and wonder what people use to secure tie downs.

Do you actually use the bed rail clamps, are they strong enough?

Happy long weekend to those north of the 49th parallel!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Mx or sTREET.?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #3

Toycan's Tacoma Gallery
Street, road race bike, SV650
Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 AM   #4
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toycan View Post
Street, road race bike, SV650
Oh....if you had an MX bike all four cleats at the front work great.

Road bike i would not attempt this.....

D-rings......You need them
Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=76455
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
JoeBama has a spectacular aura aboutJoeBama has a spectacular aura about
Name: Joe
JoeBama's Tacoma Gallery
I moved the rear d rings to the front. I don't want to lose the bike our screw up the rails. But mines a 650 cruiser, about 550 lbs.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toycan View Post
I need to haul a race bike around periodically, I don't have any D Rings at front of bed and wonder what people use to secure tie downs.

Do you actually use the bed rail clamps, are they strong enough?

Happy long weekend to those north of the 49th parallel!
I've used the bed rail things for hauling the DR650 around, no problems, driving hard. The bed rail things flex and stuff but they're plenty strong. If just moving 1 bike, I always put the bike in at a 45*, planting the tire in the front corner of the bed, helps for stability. But yes, those rail things are just strong enough... I would still run some tie-downs to the rear via the D-rings to stabilize if your bike's heavy. (my DR650 is about 320lbs)
Old 05-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Not the best picture but it is angle iron welded into a 90 degree piece and bolted to the front and side rails. Rock solid so far.

If you know a welder it only takes a couple of minutes to make up.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #10

crf69's Tacoma Gallery
mx bike no problem.....heavier bike i wouldnt unless i had eight bed cleats
Old 05-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #11

Toycan's Tacoma Gallery
Beuaty, thanks, moving the rear d rings fwd is what I think I'll try.

Just screw em into the drain holes do you think?

Thanks for every ones two cents
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Two add'l D-Rings added to the front bed bolts is the easiest fix. There are several threads here to show how to do it, but it so easy you hardly need a how-to thread. You will need a T55 socket to remove the existing bed bolts, add two new D-Rings, you can get them at the dealer or at several online outlets. I'd recommend some anti-seize to and reinsert the existing bed bolts. Takes less than 10 minutes, even dealer parts are less than $20.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
is one of the sharper tools in the shed
truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
truckboattruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKTRD6SP View Post
Not the best picture but it is angle iron welded into a 90 degree piece and bolted to the front and side rails. Rock solid so far.

If you know a welder it only takes a couple of minutes to make up.

that is a sexy bike youve got there
Old 05-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
that is a sexy bike youve got there
Thanks.
I guess that's why dirt rider just gave the 250 version the "most photogenic award" this month.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKTRD6SP View Post
Thanks.
I guess that's why dirt rider just gave the 250 version the "most photogenic award" this month.
yeah its no ktm though

Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
That's a nice bike also. I was considering a blue KTM (Husaberg) but a couple of my old riding buddies convinced me that I would love the GasGas..... they were right!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #17

yeah im sure they're awesome bikes but it doesn't look like there is a solid dealer network for them on the east coast.

heres a nice looking 300 set up for gncc's
Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #18
jonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonnie666 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jonnie666's Tacoma Gallery
hello toycan,

here is my suitable solution:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post4771059

kindest regards from germany