Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

electrical

Old 11-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
lexusoftrucks is on a distinguished road
lexusoftrucks's Tacoma Gallery
electrical

Hello all,

I bought some really cool fog/driving lights to replace those goofy inserts in the bumper of the '05 taco. $100 from Racing_guys on ebay, better than the $400 jobs from Toyota. They are OEM fit and very high quality. I also picked up a wiring harness from Pep Boys for $19, because as you probably know the SR5 Taco is not pre-wired for them. 'Just wondering, does anyone know of a good way to route wires thru the firewall without drilling? Pics would be nice. Thanks and tell your friends to sign up for this cool site, the more info we can share the more we force the big corporations to lose the attitude! Consumers unite!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:00 AM   #2
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Nice deal. Whats wrong with the factory fogs? I dont have my truck so I cant look. Why can't you use any existing holes to fish the wires through?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I think he has a Tacoma sans fog lights and he wants to put aftermarket fog lights in.

You might have to dig around to find an existing hole through the firewall, are you going to be putting a switch in the normal stock location or mount the switch somewhere else?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
electrical

I'm using a factory switch, again, found on Ebay for around ten bucks. I'm trying to do the install and keep it as "factory look" as possible, I'll try and post a complete guide w/pics when I'm through(if it works).
Old 11-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #5
electrical

(tumbleweeds, an uncomfortable silence)

O.K. after staring at the firewall of my "05 Tacoma for hours while my wife contemplated having me comitted, I decided that I absolutely did not want to take a drill to my beautifrul truck , and at the same instant, had one shining moment of inspiration. There is basically one big hole, very well sealed, connecting the cocoon of a driver's compartment with that nasty, dirty, engine compartment. It facilitates that big wiring harness, about the size of your wrist. Directly above that hole, however, lies the humble remote hood release. That, my friend, is your ticket to maintaining the resale value of your truck. I merely shoved a wire through that hole and, viola, problem solved. I can now continue on with my fog light project sans invasive surgery. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Seabees 27th Battalion
Name: Bill
Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
sunruner19's Tacoma Gallery
There is also another option to this fog lite or any other accessory that involves sending a wire thru the firewall. This is the "no wire thru the firewall method". Pilot sells a remote control unit that the fog lamp wiring attaches to, therefore eliminating any wires going thru the firewall. The receiver remains under the hood, the remote button or switch is installed on the dash or anywhere else inside the cab.
Pilot has remote control units that can handle one or four accessories and alot cheaper than PIAA'S or Hella's units. I have been using it for about 2 years now and find it extremely reliable. You can also use this to install any accessories like lights for the bed. You would only have to run 2 wires (the bed is not grounded) to the back thru the frame rail and up to the tailight cavity and then thru the bed via access hole under the rail. I installed neon lights under the cab using this method, and kept one remote on my key chain. At night, all i had to do was press the remote and the truck lit up from a distance of 200 ft.

On a side note, my ex-wife had me committed years ago for starring hours at my truck, and not at her. Toyota was named as "the other woman" in the divorce degree, so beware guys! I did get to keep my truck!!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusoftrucks View Post
(tumbleweeds, an uncomfortable silence)

O.K. after staring at the firewall of my "05 Tacoma for hours while my wife contemplated having me comitted, I decided that I absolutely did not want to take a drill to my beautifrul truck , and at the same instant, had one shining moment of inspiration. There is basically one big hole, very well sealed, connecting the cocoon of a driver's compartment with that nasty, dirty, engine compartment. It facilitates that big wiring harness, about the size of your wrist. Directly above that hole, however, lies the humble remote hood release. That, my friend, is your ticket to maintaining the resale value of your truck. I merely shoved a wire through that hole and, viola, problem solved. I can now continue on with my fog light project sans invasive surgery. I will keep you posted.
I am very interested in this process as well as the "remote" switch by Pilot. We need some links to "buy" these items to accompany the pictures.

Unfortunately the 2007 Tacomas only include fog lights IF you got a V6. As I can't afford to pay for that kind of MPG, I have the 2.7L I4. Hence, I am SANS-Foglights. I will be looking at putting some in, but like lexusoftrucks I choose to retain my vehicles looks and value as "stock" as possible. This thing only has to last me as long as it lives - no less.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
remote control for fog or driving lamps

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

found a pic of the remote control made by pilot. click on it to view larger image.

All the wiring remains in the engine compartment, nothing goes thru the firewall.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:31 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks.

Where is a good place to pickup the Pilot products?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
Senior Senile Member

Found two good links, one for hella and one for pilot. both show remote controls

lites are 4" diameter optilux. this shows the driving lite but i beleive a fog lite is also available.
also shows the hella optilux remote control setup at a very reasonable price
click on the link below and scroll down the page. you can purchase this online.
your in texas and i am in ny so i have no clue as to what stores you have there.
hope this helps you.

http://www.realtruck.com/category-su...og_lights.html
Hella Optilux 2500 Angel Eye Driving Lights

List Price: $80.80
Your Price: $62.99

You Save: $17.81
Hella driving lights include the Hella Optilux 2500 angel eye driving light kit. These hella 4" drive angle eyes lights come in a kit of 2 lights. Hella angel eyes has a distintive angel eyes LED ring around them. Hella optilux 2500 has die cast aluminum housing and a focused driving beam along with 55 watt H3 halogen bulbs. They are SAE and ECE compliant and the size is 4" Dia. x 3.1" D. The optilux ... more info

Hella Optilux Lights Remote Control Kit

List Price: $41.91
Your Price: $37.99
You Save: $3.92
Remote control key fob for Hella Optilux Fog & Driving Lights. The Hella optilux lights remote control kit lets you operate your lights with the push of a button. This remote control kit is the ideal complement to your Hella Optilux fog or driving lights set. This handy kit will allow you to turn on your driving/fog lights remotely for ultimate convenience. The wireless switch can be mounted and used ... more info

another link:
http://www1.shopping.com/xDN-automot...hts_Pilot~PG-5

on this page, scroll down and you will find the pilot fog lites plus there is a 4 channel remote control that is housed in the gear shift knob.
you would be able to control the fog lites, driving lites plus 2 other accessories.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #11
I dub thee malicious!

Thumbs up Very Good Lighting Information!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunruner19 View Post
Found two good links...

WOW - Excellent information! Thanks for the links!