1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

electrical

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lexusoftrucks, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Nov 5, 2006 at 9:37 PM
    lexusoftrucks

lexusoftrucks [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello all,

I bought some really cool fog/driving lights to replace those goofy inserts in the bumper of the '05 taco. $100 from Racing_guys on ebay, better than the $400 jobs from Toyota. They are OEM fit and very high quality. I also picked up a wiring harness from Pep Boys for $19, because as you probably know the SR5 Taco is not pre-wired for them. 'Just wondering, does anyone know of a good way to route wires thru the firewall without drilling? Pics would be nice. Thanks and tell your friends to sign up for this cool site, the more info we can share the more we force the big corporations to lose the attitude! Consumers unite!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 6, 2006 at 5:00 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Nice deal. Whats wrong with the factory fogs? I dont have my truck so I cant look. Why can't you use any existing holes to fish the wires through?

3. Nov 6, 2006 at 6:50 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I think he has a Tacoma sans fog lights and he wants to put aftermarket fog lights in.

You might have to dig around to find an existing hole through the firewall, are you going to be putting a switch in the normal stock location or mount the switch somewhere else?

4. Nov 6, 2006 at 2:27 PM
    lexusoftrucks

Member:
    I'm using a factory switch, again, found on Ebay for around ten bucks. I'm trying to do the install and keep it as "factory look" as possible, I'll try and post a complete guide w/pics when I'm through(if it works).

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Nov 7, 2006 at 10:08 PM
    lexusoftrucks

Member:
    (tumbleweeds, an uncomfortable silence)

O.K. after staring at the firewall of my "05 Tacoma for hours while my wife contemplated having me comitted, I decided that I absolutely did not want to take a drill to my beautifrul truck , and at the same instant, had one shining moment of inspiration. There is basically one big hole, very well sealed, connecting the cocoon of a driver's compartment with that nasty, dirty, engine compartment. It facilitates that big wiring harness, about the size of your wrist. Directly above that hole, however, lies the humble remote hood release. That, my friend, is your ticket to maintaining the resale value of your truck. I merely shoved a wire through that hole and, viola, problem solved. I can now continue on with my fog light project sans invasive surgery. I will keep you posted.

6. Jan 8, 2007 at 12:13 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    There is also another option to this fog lite or any other accessory that involves sending a wire thru the firewall. This is the "no wire thru the firewall method". Pilot sells a remote control unit that the fog lamp wiring attaches to, therefore eliminating any wires going thru the firewall. The receiver remains under the hood, the remote button or switch is installed on the dash or anywhere else inside the cab.
    Pilot has remote control units that can handle one or four accessories and alot cheaper than PIAA'S or Hella's units. I have been using it for about 2 years now and find it extremely reliable. You can also use this to install any accessories like lights for the bed. You would only have to run 2 wires (the bed is not grounded) to the back thru the frame rail and up to the tailight cavity and then thru the bed via access hole under the rail. I installed neon lights under the cab using this method, and kept one remote on my key chain. At night, all i had to do was press the remote and the truck lit up from a distance of 200 ft.

On a side note, my ex-wife had me committed years ago for starring hours at my truck, and not at her. Toyota was named as "the other woman" in the divorce degree, so beware guys! I did get to keep my truck!!

7. Jan 8, 2007 at 12:24 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I am very interested in this process as well as the "remote" switch by Pilot. We need some links to "buy" these items to accompany the pictures.

Unfortunately the 2007 Tacomas only include fog lights IF you got a V6. As I can't afford to pay for that kind of MPG, I have the 2.7L I4. Hence, I am SANS-Foglights. I will be looking at putting some in, but like lexusoftrucks I choose to retain my vehicles looks and value as "stock" as possible. This thing only has to last me as long as it lives - no less. ;)

8. Jan 9, 2007 at 4:54 PM
    sunruner19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

found a pic of the remote control made by pilot. click on it to view larger image.

All the wiring remains in the engine compartment, nothing goes thru the firewall.

9. Jan 10, 2007 at 5:31 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Thanks.

Where is a good place to pickup the Pilot products?

10. Jan 10, 2007 at 12:03 PM
    sunruner19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    Found two good links, one for hella and one for pilot. both show remote controls

lites are 4" diameter optilux. this shows the driving lite but i beleive a fog lite is also available.
    also shows the hella optilux remote control setup at a very reasonable price
    click on the link below and scroll down the page. you can purchase this online.
    your in texas and i am in ny so i have no clue as to what stores you have there.
    hope this helps you.

http://www.realtruck.com/category-summary/190/driving_fog_lights.html
    Hella Optilux 2500 Angel Eye Driving Lights

List Price: $80.80
    Your Price: $62.99

You Save: $17.81
    Hella driving lights include the Hella Optilux 2500 angel eye driving light kit. These hella 4" drive angle eyes lights come in a kit of 2 lights. Hella angel eyes has a distintive angel eyes LED ring around them. Hella optilux 2500 has die cast aluminum housing and a focused driving beam along with 55 watt H3 halogen bulbs. They are SAE and ECE compliant and the size is 4" Dia. x 3.1" D. The optilux ... more info

Hella Optilux Lights Remote Control Kit

List Price: $41.91
    Your Price: $37.99
    You Save: $3.92
    Remote control key fob for Hella Optilux Fog & Driving Lights. The Hella optilux lights remote control kit lets you operate your lights with the push of a button. This remote control kit is the ideal complement to your Hella Optilux fog or driving lights set. This handy kit will allow you to turn on your driving/fog lights remotely for ultimate convenience. The wireless switch can be mounted and used ... more info

another link:
    http://www1.shopping.com/xDN-automotive_parts_and_accessories-Fog_Lights_Pilot~PG-5

on this page, scroll down and you will find the pilot fog lites plus there is a 4 channel remote control that is housed in the gear shift knob.
    you would be able to control the fog lites, driving lites plus 2 other accessories.

11. Jan 10, 2007 at 12:45 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device

WOW - Excellent information! Thanks for the links!:D

12. Jul 31, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    RRMCNATT

RRMCNATT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    New engine in 2013
    Need to know about a temperature sensor anyone

13. Jul 31, 2021 at 10:11 AM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    You talking about something like this?

Products Discussed in

To Top