Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Backup Camera

Old 05-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Backup Camera

Ok, so I'm a DeVry drop out from an Electronics program back in 95', but I remember a thing or two from classes.

I'm attempting to put together a backup camera rig that I can use when hitching up a trailer.

The camera I am using has a 8v 50mW-A power requirement, and it came with a 8v power adapter. Reason I'm using it is because it's wireless and the receiver will work well with the 5.6" LCD chassis.

I'm afraid to try to shove 12v-13.5 volts into it. I don't want to fry it if.

What I am considering rigging is a resistor in series between a trailer harness and a DC Coaxial M connector I have from a dead A/C adapter.

Anyone care to check my math or critique my theory before I run to radio shack?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lol yeah I'm doing something wrong, it's remembering my Algebra!

Voltage/Current = Resistance

Code:
12/.05=24R
Load Voltage/Load Resistance = Resistor Voltage/Resistor Value

Code:
8/24=12/R
Right???

Some algabra wiz help me out.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
what kind of camera are you using, if i may ask. and is it universal? i'm looking for a backup camera for my truck, but i dont want to pay for the pioneer ones
Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

2 + 2 = 100volts/9ohms
Take make things easier for you, don't listen to me!!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:00 PM   #5

LOL I ended up figuring it out and running to Radio Shack before they closed. A 2Kohm 1/4W resistor gave me the 8v I needed.

I'm using this LCD...
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...&cm_cat=358129

And this camera... (similar)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Infrared-Wireles...QQcmdZViewItem

The camera will be installed above the license plate and plugged into the trailer harness for power when the lights are on.

The receiver will be mounted to the back of the LCD and plugged into the lighter socket for power.

When I need to use it I can pull the screen and receiver our of a storage compartment, plug it in, and sit it on the back of the fold down seat.

When I finish I'll post pictures if anyone wants them. This is a pretty thrown together solution but it will suit my needs till I decide on an in dash solution. Right now I'm not willing to spend the $2400 for what I want.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:42 AM   #6
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBetty View Post
The camera I am using has a 8v 50mW-A power requirement, and it came with a 8v power adapter.

I'm afraid to try to shove 12v-13.5 volts into it. I don't want to fry it if.

Why not use the 110V bed outlet or even a protable DC-AC converter and use your original step down transformer that came with your camera/LCD setup? I'm familiar with mV and mA but what is 50m-W?
Old 05-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #7

The LCD and Receiver will both run on 12v, so I am bolting the two together and making a nice harness so that only a 12v lighter to coaxial plug needs to be plugged in.

The camera itself takes 8v. I don't have the built in power inverter, so to minimize setup time when I need it I wanted the camera installed ready to use.

It pulls 50mW... the 50mW-A (millawatt-amp) means something but I can't remember what
Old 05-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
thats pretty sweet. i might have to get one of those to hook up into my head unit. i'd just run the receiver in the cab off the 9v or either a cigarette adapter...and the rear off of an adapter to the bed.