Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spark Plugs: 2010 TRD Offroad

Old 05-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD is on a distinguished road
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Spark Plugs: 2010 TRD Offroad

Since I purchased my truck, I have put in a K&N air filter. Everything else hasn't been changed. I am around 26k miles and paid for a 75k mile maintenance plan. Guess I should have read up on this as it only does oil changes and rotations. Is this right?

Regardless, it will be time to change my plugs soon. In my 2010 Tacoma TRD Offroad with the 4.0l V6, what spark plugs do I need/do you guys recommend? Anything tricky about changing these on this truck? Anything more I should know in changing them out?

Since I failed to read into the 75k maintenance plan properly, what other maintenance should I be performing on my own?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

Whippersnapper, thanks! I love that you guys take your time and document around here!

So it is suggested to purchase the Denso plugs for each cylinder, instead of the 3 NGK and 3 Denso? Are there any other plugs you guys recommend here?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Just Denso all around. Nothing else works better.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
chacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
chacotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Be sure to remember to ask for the headlight fluid corrosion resistant plugs. The Off Road Model requires them.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just Denso all around. Nothing else works better.

So would I currently have 3 NGK and 3 Denso in my truck if I haven't changed them out yet (stock)? Will going all Denso plugs improve my gas mileage?

Also, is the maintenance plan I mentioned (I think it is the Platinum) really only oil changes and rotations? No transmission fluid changes, brake fluid change, etc? I guess I was suckered, but I bought that plan and the 100k mile warranty package as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneHD View Post
So would I currently have 3 NGK and 3 Denso in my truck if I haven't changed them out yet (stock)? Will going all Denso plugs improve my gas mileage?

Also, is the maintenance plan I mentioned (I think it is the Platinum) really only oil changes and rotations? No transmission fluid changes, brake fluid change, etc? I guess I was suckered, but I bought that plan and the 100k mile warranty package as well.
The factory runs 3 NGK and 3 Denso. No one knows why. No plug will help with MPG unless you you are replacing really old plugs. Then any plug will help.

I'm not sure what the maintenance plan involves. I declined it. If you have it might as well use it. You should have a booklet outlining what is involved. If not grab one at the dealer.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacotaco View Post
Be sure to remember to ask for the headlight fluid corrosion resistant plugs. The Off Road Model requires them.

DICKHEAD.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Our transmissions are sealed units using synthetic lubricant... they need NOTHING until 100,000 miles when you change it.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Our transmissions are sealed units using synthetic lubricant... they need NOTHING until 100,000 miles when you change it.

Is there anything more I should be doing on anything else?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Banned
Cabin filter. Some people like to change the diff fluids and T case fluids at 30K.

Cabin filter here: http://www.logical-source.com/2006-T...COMA-7586.html
Old 05-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cabin filter. Some people like to change the diff fluids and T case fluids at 30K.

Cabin filter here: http://www.logical-source.com/2006-T...COMA-7586.html

Already bought 5 of these. Great price!
Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The factory runs 3 NGK and 3 Denso. No one knows why..
What I have heard and it makes sense, they use two brands to protect themselves against labor problems. If they use only NGK and they go on strike, they are screwed. By buying from two major suppliers they are protected.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is there anything more I should be doing on anything else?
Isn't there an owner's manual in the glove box? All the scheduled maitneance procedures recommended are in there.

I got my 2010 new, and the Toyota dealer does everything on my truck, except for the tires and rotation (as of 5,000 miles ago when I got the Hankook Dynapro ATm's).

I usually get the oil changed closer to 3,000 miles instead of waiting to 5,000. If you have 4WD, get both differentials checked and change their oil as recommended.... specially if you crossed deep water and haven't done the rear differential breather mod (see my link for that).

Every 15,000 miles is a minor service above the 5,000 mile oil changes and every 30,000 miles is a major service. Do all these and you won't be shelling out money for broken down running gear. I am on Taco #3, and #1 and #2 both had over 100,000 trouble free miles in less than 5 years!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Just changed my dif fluids and manual tranny fluids to synthetic at the 30k mile mark. Get that old factory dino oil out and go synthetic, i found it worked wonders
Old 05-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #16
jackalope killer
L.V.T. is just really niceL.V.T. is just really niceL.V.T. is just really niceL.V.T. is just really niceL.V.T. is just really nice

L.V.T.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lol - classic
Old 05-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We must be 22 here?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
Gregg is on a distinguished road

Name: Gregg
Gregg's Tacoma Gallery
I think the transmission fluid was updated to be changed every 60,000 miles. I received an updated maintenance booklet. Also grease your drive shafts once in a while.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
chacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
chacotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
DICKHEAD.
Better give him a free bump than to try and shut his shit down than saying something like "search feature"
Quote:
We must be 22 here?
Your 22 comments statement escapes me. I am reliable and get off on cheap ammo.

Find the "Toyota Maintenance Glovebox PDF that is in the stickies. Users from here, CustomTacos, and the Tacoma section of ToyotaNation put it together. Its a boiled down guide to you service intervals. Its a quite helpful.