1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help--severed interior wire during powerstep install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sofiasdad11, May 21, 2011.

1. May 21, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 [OP] Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    hey all, decided on installing a set of amp research powersteps on my '11 taco. kinda wish now woulda had it done professionally. anyway halfway thru i accidentally cut a small interior wire in the bundle running from the drivers-side kickpanel towards the rear. what's the easiest way to securely reattach this piece. hoping to avoid soldering---the cut ends barely touch now. any suggestions?

2. May 21, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Crimpable butt connectors. Go check out the local Radio Shack and see what they have.

3. May 21, 2011 at 6:17 AM
    Bumponapickle

Bumponapickle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD + Leather DCLB
    Old Man Emu 3 inch lift + AAL, Satoshi and Pioneer Avic Z130BT
    Why not solder?? It is the best way to re-connect your cut wire. If your not sure on how to solder, search the web, all the info is available. Really though, it is no more difficult to solder then the mod you were performing on your truck when you accidently cut the wire....just saying....

4. May 21, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I'd like to see a small video and pics of your completed install when you are done. Really considering this after i do my lift.

5. May 21, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    redz80

redz80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brampton, ON
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 TRD 4x4 SWB
    add a small length of wire to bridge the gap and sodder the two wires it is the most solid way .............. then again butt conextors are easier it is up to you.

6. May 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good lord, do it right--solder and heat shrink.

7. May 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    csjumper2003

csjumper2003 Jumper's Leds Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SSM Trd Off Road 4x4 Auto
    Is there a way to get a different light instead of the orange one on this mod due to the new 11's don't have all that orange on the dash

8. May 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Our local NAPA has "crimp and seal" connectors that you crimp like a butt connector, then heat with a heat gun. The outer housing is shrink wrap with adhesive. They are good enough for the local ambulance company on their rigs, according to their mechanic. That's probably the best way.

If it were my truck I would use a standard crimp connector and a quality electrical tape afterwards. It is inside out of the weather, so that should be fine.

9. May 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Small length of wire, solder both ends, heat shrink that shit. Do it right.

10. May 21, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Just use an environmental splice $3 at radio shack for a 100 pack

11. May 22, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I too would like to see a small video and pics of your completed install when you are done. I have been considering this accessory for quite awhile now. Only thing that has been stopping me is the price.

12. May 22, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    x2

13. May 22, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Not sure what you are asking me?
    I can do the following colors on the 4x4 switches.
    Blue, White, Or orange. Any combination of them.

Products Discussed in

To Top