Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Useful information.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
PrettyInInk is on a distinguished road

Name: Misti
PrettyInInk's Tacoma Gallery
Useful information.

Anyone have some useful information for a new 2011 Tacoma owner?

Tips, tricks? Things to watch out for?
Old 05-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
The best tip I could give you is to go to the "technical chat" and "2nd gen" section of the forum and read through the "stickies", you'll learn tons about your truck.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
The best tip I could give you is to go to the "technical chat" and "2nd gen" section of the forum and read through the "stickies", you'll learn tons about your truck.
Thank you! I'm all for any type of information on the truck, I figured if I'm driving it - I better know the ins and outs of it as well!
Old 05-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
JSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shedJSW is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jared
JSW's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to JSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
x2

I've just gotten here and learned so much. Use the Search Tool. Find a lot of information that way too.

And you'll find SO MUCH stuff you'll want to get for your truck. Prepare to go broke.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
as far as the basic workings of every component
your owners manual will cover just about everything.
also my first gen, idk if yours came with it but its called
a "passport to performance"
and it has all of the recommended maintenance at all the mile intervals, so you don't have to guess
and then as far as aftermarket stuff.. the rest of this site
Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
as far as the basic workings of every component
your owners manual will cover just about everything.
also my first gen, idk if yours came with it but its called
a "passport to performance"
and it has all of the recommended maintenance at all the mile intervals, so you don't have to guess
and then as far as aftermarket stuff.. the rest of this site
Thank you!

I've already read through my manuals that came with the truck and the after market products I've had installed. =] I didn't get a "passport to performance" but I remember reading about scheduled intervals and how many miles to put on your vehicle before doing certain things (ie..."don't break suddenly for _x_ amount of miles" or "don't travel above _x_ speed for _x_ amount of miles" etc) to break the truck in properly. And now I'm taking to reading up everything I can on the forums. =] So far, everything I have been reading has been a great help! And I've been getting even more ideas!

What is your opinion on the scan guages? Which is better, scan guage or ultra guage? (I hope I got the names of those products correctly.)
Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
When you change your oil remove the cap on the bottom of the filter cup. For the break in just drive normal. The engine is already broken in.

Search for info and Scangauges and Ultragauges. I have used both and they are both good.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
When you change your oil please dont mistake if for the tranny and drain that instead...
Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
NOTHING useful here!
Search first and ask questions later. But they don't yell at us girls...much. TW is a great site and you're bound to find answers to all of your questions and then some! Welcome!
Old 05-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
When you change your oil please dont mistake if for the tranny and drain that instead...
but how is she gonna learn?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
This should clear it all up for you:

Dino or Synthetic? Synthetic.

87 or 93 octane? 87.

4X4 or Prerunner? Prerunner.

TRD OR or TRD Sport? Neither.

SB or LB? SB.

Real Housewives of Orange County or New Jers.....wait, wrong forum. Sorry.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
at the OC comment, and I love my 91 octane
Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #13
kwelhand is on a distinguished road

kwelhand's Tacoma Gallery
This forum has powerful free "search" feature.
Most forum limits search every 60 sec or redirect you to Google site to search the thread or EVEN MAKE YOU PAY before you could search.

Love this site and I'm reading as many thread as possible... lots of awesome info.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post

No worries, I know how to change the oil. Had to learn when I first started driving.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelhand View Post
This forum has powerful free "search" feature.
Most forum limits search every 60 sec or redirect you to Google site to search the thread or EVEN MAKE YOU PAY before you could search.

Love this site and I'm reading as many thread as possible... lots of awesome info.

I have definitely been making use of this feature as well as surfing through different threads! Very helpful and useful info out there! And so many ideas to add to a "wish" list.

Oh, and awesome signature picture!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyInInk View Post
No worries, I know how to change the oil. Had to learn when I first started driving.
Consider yourself lucky, I recently had a friend of mine ask me why her windshield washer fluid froze in the winter time when she used water to fill it....
Old 05-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Consider yourself lucky, I recently had a friend of mine ask me why her windshield washer fluid froze in the winter time when she used water to fill it....

Oh my. There are no words. If I may ask, how did you react?!