Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY Center Storage Console Divider

Old 05-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
wombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud of

wombat's Tacoma Gallery
DIY Center Storage Console Divider

First I have to say that is this DIY project is not as complex as it seems and it really doesn’t take very long to complete once you have the items. It's not the perfect solution, but better that a big plastic hole. I did this mod on my 2011. I assume other 2nd gens are the same.

I can’t stand that my new Tacoma storage console has no divider. I got tired of stuff just being piled in and rattling around every time I go over a bump. I couldn’t find a premade solution so I did a DIY project.

I wanted a divider that would create a lower compartment and well as dividing the upper compartment in two storage parts. Access to the lower compartment would be gained by lifting the divider up and out of the storage console. Not a perfect solution but I’m putting stuff I don’t need access to very often in the bottom compartment.

I don’t have a lot of tools, so I had to get by on the minimum. Here are the items I used.

3M Spray Adhesive (Home Depot)
Rustoleum Black Paint for plastic (Home Depot)
Trunk carpet (Local fabric store)
Plexiglass ¼” (Tap Plastics)
Acrylic Cement (Tap Plastics)
Acrylic Cement application bottle (Tap Plastics)
Sandpaper 80 and 220 (Home Depot)
Hacksaw
Framing square
Scissors

1)The first thing I did was to use trunk liner and line the inside of the storage console using 3M spray adhesive. I don’t like the contents of the storage console ratting around and this also would help the new divider fit better.

2)At the bottom of you console you have a carpeted base. Lift this out and this will be your template for your plexiglass divider.

3)Tap Plastics here in the Bay Area has a scrap bin, and I got two 1X1 ¼” acrylic scraps for a buck each. I used the console carpeted base from my Tacoma as a template. I then used a hacksaw to cut the plexiglass. The cuts are a bit rough and not exact with a hacksaw but I smoothed things out with 80 sand paper. I went and did test fits in the storage console with the cut out plexiglass until I got a good fit. I then cut out the rest of the plexiglass pieces for the bottom storage compartment and the upper divider. The dimensions are a matter of preference.

4) I then used 220 sand paper and sanded all sides of the plexiglass to help glue and paint stick. Next I glued everything together. Acrylic cement is really not a glue but rather a solvent the dissolves the plexiglass. It makes really strong joints. You can handle the cemented joints a couple of minutes after you apply the cement, but don’t put any pressure on the joint for a few hours. It takes a few minutes to assemble the entire divider.

5)After an hour or so I the painted it flat black with rattle can paint for plastics.

6)Next I applied trunk carpet on places the items in the divider might hit the sides of the plexiglass.

Done

Old 05-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
thats pretty cool man, great idea
Old 05-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Jumper's Leds
csjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2nd class petty officer
Name: chris
csjumper2003's Tacoma Gallery
thats a bad ass idea seems pretty easy and seems to look pretty functional. How do you get to the bottom storage though do you have to lift it all out
Old 05-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Jumper's Leds
csjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsjumper2003 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maybe Ill build on the idea and make the top a door to access below
Old 05-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
HomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomeGrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
HomeGrown's Tacoma Gallery
I like that a LOT! I was just thinking today that the console was in need of compartments. One big bin just creates clutter.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Very nice!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Job, thanks for sharing
Old 05-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
I'm lazy and without proper wood/plastic working tools, therefore, if you build them I will buy one. Do you just pull it out to access the lower portion? If so, feel free to send me one and I'll reimburse you
Old 05-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
wombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud ofwombat has much to be proud of

wombat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjumper2003 View Post
thats a bad ass idea seems pretty easy and seems to look pretty functional. How do you get to the bottom storage though do you have to lift it all out
Thanks. It's really not the best design with regards to the access to the bottom because you do have to lift it out yo get to the bottom. It lifts out very easy but the stuff in the top level can fall out. I put stuff I don't need access to often on the bottom. If I did it over again which I might, i would make a design with better access to the bottom.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #10

wombat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjumper2003 View Post
maybe Ill build on the idea and make the top a door to access below
Yes. I think a better design could be done. Plexiglass is so easy to work with that the build process goes pretty fast. I might try and come up with a better design myself.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #11
meeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeeestirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

meeestirg's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Great Mod! I wasn't so industrious on my solution to console jumble.

I bought a plastic food storage box from Kmart. 2 for 2.99.

Cut the top off.

Stuck it in the console.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
Jumper's Leds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Cut the top off.

Stuck it in the console.
That's something different
Old 05-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #14

wombat's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, It's beauty is in its simplicity. Anything is better than the stock storage box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Cut the top off.

Stuck it in the console.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
I did this after a friend was nosing around in my truck, looked the console and said "Where'd you put the stick that you stirred that up with"