Is anybody around here that has a DR650, KLR650 or some similar type/size of a bike? I would like to hear some suggestions how you transport these around on your Tacomas? I have a DCSB so obviously the tailgate will have to remain open and the bike angled. Does anyone have any pics with their bikes in the truck?
1) How do you load the bike in the bed? What kind of rails work best?
2) How do you secure your bikes? I have two D-rings by the tailgate. Would I need to get atleast two more for the front?
3) Do you use the bed rail tie downs? Probably not by themselves as they are not rated for such weigtht, but together with the d-rings maybe? Or that not necessary?
4) How does the tailgate hold up long-term with the bike resting on it. I won't be transporting this bike too often but when I do it will stay there for several hours.
5) Do you guys use a bed extender in these situations?
6) Anybody using a hitch mounted rack for their bike?
7) Would a small trailer be better? (probably too much $ for me now)
If anyone can give me some suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.