LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transporting Suzuki DR650 in my DCSB - suggestions pls.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Transporting Suzuki DR650 in my DCSB - suggestions pls.

Is anybody around here that has a DR650, KLR650 or some similar type/size of a bike? I would like to hear some suggestions how you transport these around on your Tacomas? I have a DCSB so obviously the tailgate will have to remain open and the bike angled. Does anyone have any pics with their bikes in the truck?

1) How do you load the bike in the bed? What kind of rails work best?
2) How do you secure your bikes? I have two D-rings by the tailgate. Would I need to get atleast two more for the front?
3) Do you use the bed rail tie downs? Probably not by themselves as they are not rated for such weigtht, but together with the d-rings maybe? Or that not necessary?
4) How does the tailgate hold up long-term with the bike resting on it. I won't be transporting this bike too often but when I do it will stay there for several hours.
5) Do you guys use a bed extender in these situations?
6) Anybody using a hitch mounted rack for their bike?
7) Would a small trailer be better? (probably too much $ for me now)

If anyone can give me some suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
Is anybody around here that has a DR650, KLR650 or some similar type/size of a bike? I would like to hear some suggestions how you transport these around on your Tacomas? I have a DCSB so obviously the tailgate will have to remain open and the bike angled. Does anyone have any pics with their bikes in the truck?

1) How do you load the bike in the bed? What kind of rails work best?
2) How do you secure your bikes? I have two D-rings by the tailgate. Would I need to get atleast two more for the front?
3) Do you use the bed rail tie downs? Probably not by themselves as they are not rated for such weigtht, but together with the d-rings maybe? Or that not necessary?
4) How does the tailgate hold up long-term with the bike resting on it. I won't be transporting this bike too often but when I do it will stay there for several hours.
5) Do you guys use a bed extender in these situations?
6) Anybody using a hitch mounted rack for their bike?

I put 2 more D-rings in the front of the bed. I wouldn't trust the side rails with a motorcycle. Check out the link below, it's how I load and tie down my bike.
The tailgate holds up well. Your bike isn't that heavy so I wouldn't worry about it.
I do not use a bed extender but they can be handy if you want to haul equipment in the bed like riding gear, fuel tanks, etc.
A trailer would be easier but definitely not even close to required for a single bike.
I don't have any experience with those hitch mounted ones but people use them and don't seem to have any problems. I figure you have a pick-up, use the bed, it's a lot more stable.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mot...dcsb-pics.html
Old 05-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
dirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to behold
dirtfondler's Tacoma Gallery
Get ready for a plug for something I am selling, but here is a solid setup if you want to spend the money. I am pretty sure that a bike wont fit diagonally in a short bed. Regardless of tie down setup, keep the back of the bike to one side, not the middle. This will help the load on your tailgate since the middle is the weakest point!

www.Readyramp.com. Nice long ramp to make pushing a heavy bike a little easier and it doubles as a bed extender to keep the rest of your gear in.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...bar-200-a.html

Just did a trip this weekend over some rough dirt roads with two dirtbikes in the bed and nothing budged.

I have also used a hitchmount (also homemade) and it works great too. Easy to load because it is much lower. It is a lot of weight hanging off the back of a taco though. I also use an enclosed trailer on some trips, but it sucks to go the reduced towing speed!!
Attached Thumbnails
Transporting Suzuki DR650 in my DCSB - suggestions pls.-bed-bar-2-.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post

1) How do you load the bike in the bed? I use a folding aluminum ramp and ride in
2) How do you secure your bikes? I had a welder I work with make two angle iron brackets that tie side and front rails together
3) Do you use the bed rail tie downs? I wouldn't
4) How does the tailgate hold up long-term with the bike resting on it. I won't be transporting this bike too often but when I do it will stay there for several hours. Mine has been good so far but I have only hauled my GasGas not my DR650
5) Do you guys use a bed extender in these situations?I just ordered the motoxtender from National 4wd it hasn't shipped yet as they were out of stock http://www.national4wdonline.com/car...ubstring=motox
6) Anybody using a hitch mounted rack for their bike? TThought about it but that's a lot of weight (330lbs dry)swaying back and forth on the hitch, that said, Princess Auto has the hitch mounts on for like $89 right now

Picture of my setup
Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to everybody for some great advice. I will definitely add atleast 2 more D-rings to the front. I'm liking the AMP Research Moto Extender as I'm thinking it could be used with my 10 foot kayak in summer aswell those days when I'm lazy to put in on the roof rack. Looks like it should not interfere with a roll up tonneau cover? I've got the Truxedo LoPro one. That ReadyRamp is pretty sweet but I will need 2 ramps anyway since I'm a noob.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
I usually just buy a truck with a big enough bed to haul my shit.Kinda like the saying,"trying to dump 10 gallons of shit in a 5 gallon bucket." Dbl Cab LB FTMFW!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #7

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
I usually just buy a truck with a big enough bed to haul my shit.Kinda like the saying,"trying to dump 10 gallons of shit in a 5 gallon bucket." Dbl Cab LB FTMFW!
If they made DCLB with 6spd that would have been my truck. Did not plan on motorcycle when I bought it and apart from that it does everything else I need. I will make this project work too cause this Taco is staying for next 15 years with me!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKTRD6SP View Post
Picture of my setup
is your front tire against the front of the bed ?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
daredevildave has a spectacular aura aboutdaredevildave has a spectacular aura about

daredevildave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
I usually just buy a truck with a big enough bed to haul my shit.Kinda like the saying,"trying to dump 10 gallons of shit in a 5 gallon bucket." Dbl Cab LB FTMFL!
How bout 10 gallons in a 1 gallon bucket. It's not how big it is, It's how you use it SB ftw

I did add 2 d-rings to the front wall, you can kind of see one of them in this pic
Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnym View Post
is your front tire against the front of the bed ?
Yes.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #11

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
So I got a pair of Toyota D-rings on order from ToyotaPartsStore, pt#:PT785-35054. http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/prod...480af3a24b21d1

1) Now does anyone know if this comes with bolts? I would like to mount it to the frame, can I reuse existing bed bolts or do I need to get longer ones?

2) Bought the Kinedyne Steadymate Cinchtite 2 straps at a local motorcycle store. http://steadymate.com/ca/product/1/2...own-strap.html I keep reading that most people use the Canyon Dancer Bar Harness II. Is there any reason why I would want those instead of these. The Steadymate are rated for 835lbs which is more that double my bike weight. Looks like they have sewn handlebar loops which don't show on the product picture well.

Products Discussed in this Thread