1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Flat belly Skid + All-Pro IFS Skid

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pAP, May 22, 2011.

1. May 22, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    Have an IFS skid from All-Pro and want to span the gap from the IFS skid to the cross member? I do and want to get rid of that dreaded cross member rock catcher.
    [​IMG]

Here is my solution on paper:

Version 1
    [​IMG]

Version 2 (more cross member coverage = a little $pricier$)
    [​IMG]

It will utilize the existing bolt holes on back of the IFS skid. I also added two additional bolt holes. The back of the transmission skid will be bolted to the cross member utilizing the existing cross member holes. It will be made of 3/16" steel. I will also weld a center member down the middle to stiffen it up.

I made up the skid with thick chip board for a test fit. Good fit!
    [​IMG]

Cut and bent skid (Version 1):
    [​IMG]

Cut and bent skid (Version 2):
    [​IMG]

Grade 8 material needed:
    Version 1 & Version 2 (4) 7/16" X 1" bolts
    Version 1 : (2) 7/16" x 2" bolts or Version 2: (2) 1/2"x3 1/2" bolts
    Version 1: (6) 7/16" nuts or Version 2: (4) 7/16" and (2) 1/2" nuts
    Version 1: (10) 7/16" standard washers or Version 2: (8) 7/16" and (4) 1/2" washers
    Version 1: (2) 7/16" x 1 1/4"od (1/8" thick) washers

If you opt for the center support, have the sheet metal shop weld you a piece of 3/16"x1"x16" in the middle of the skid as shown.

Step 1:
    Bolt the trans skid to the all-pro skid with the two elongated holes on the trans skid and All-Pros. Make sure you push the skid up high enough so that it doesn't hang lower than the All-Pro skid.
    Step 2:
    You will need to mark the center of the holes to be drilled in the All-Pro skid plate once you aligned and tighten up the bolts from step 1. I just took some spray paint and lightly sprayed the hole. Take the skid off and center punch the hole to be drilled then drill a 1/2" hole on each side. Start off with a smaller drill bit first then work your way up.
    Step 3 Version 1:
    Find the cross member holes on each side to use for the back of the skid. The drivers side hole is round and the passenger side is elongated. They both have an opening on top so you can get a socket down there when putting the bolts in. Bolt the skid back up with all 4 bolts so you know its in its final resting spot. Then, find those holes and mark the center on the skid. Take the friggin skid off again and drill the holes. While the skid is off, take those thick ass washers and get them in the center section. The only way to get them in there is from the middle two holes of the cross member. They are the only holes big enough. Get the washer above the holes to be used before putting the skid back on.
    Step 3 Version 2:
    Find the cross member holes on each side to use for the back of the skid. Both holes are the out most holes and go all the way through the member from top to bottom. Bolt the skid back up with all 4 bolts so you know its in its final resting spot. Then, find those holes and mark the center on the skid. Take the friggin skid off again and drill the holes. Use the 1/2"x3 1/2" bolts to mount it to the cross member.
    Step 4:
    Bolt the skid back on....again for the final time. DONE!!

Pap

2. May 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    sweet

3. May 23, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    That's awesome chris! I hope it works out!

4. May 23, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    How thick?

5. May 23, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
  6. May 23, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    cotruckin

cotruckin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westminster, CO.
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100 Lift with rear 1" blocks, ARE Z series topper with Yakima rack and Rola basket, some audio equipment, some more goodies
    This is awesome detail, I am looking for something like this for a rear bumper. I really like how you did the mock up template too, how did the test fitment with that work for you?

7. May 23, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    Josh - it will be 3/16"

cotruckin - yes, it worked out well. Yes, I like to make sure things work before spending money on fabrication. The mock-up worked well. It fit nicely.

Pap

8. May 23, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD The Church Of @ODNAREM San Diego Chapter 1904

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    Locked, Flat bed, 22R 5 speed, BFG KO2's
  9. May 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Here it is! Only took two days to cut and bend. Just drilled two holes for the cross member, installed it and now ready for paint! Fits perfectly!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All said and done, it cost me $225.

Marc70 likes this.
  10. May 25, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    WOW. Excellent work! And you'll start selling them... when...?

11. May 25, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Pap, It looks great! Rep sent. :)

12. May 25, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Who made that skid plate over the cross member? Hit them with it because its only tack welded :D
    Is that All pro ??? If you hit anything with it its going to get rip off from skid plate. In worst case it will fall off somewhere on the highway and kill somebody behind you.
    [​IMG]

13. May 25, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Thank you all for the compliments! I will not be selling them. The diagram is there for people to build off of. Just find a decent local sheetmetal shop and have them make it up for ya. The only thing I would change is the holes on top... I would elongate them so that you can push the skid up higher. I had to elongate them after it was fabricated. I will revise that drawing to reflect.

Pap

14. May 25, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5

That box out for the exhaust will get a continuos weld on it or will be coming off soon if I decide to reroute the exhaust above it.

Pap

15. May 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD The Church Of @ODNAREM San Diego Chapter 1904

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    Locked, Flat bed, 22R 5 speed, BFG KO2's
    Very detailed and well done

16. May 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    get the doug thorley y pipe

17. May 25, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    stroM-

stroM- @alteregoadventure

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Santa Rosa, California
    Vehicle:
    2006 4X4 TRD OR
    Chris,

I'm glad to see this all come together! Sorry we didn't have the time at this moment to accommodate you with the 1-Off Design - But it came out great! Nice work and planning :thumbsup:

Jason

18. May 25, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    +1 rep, I will be making this in the summer to replace my current trans skid.

19. May 25, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Thanks again.
    Josh - that Y-pipe is in my short future.

Yea Jason - No problem. sounded like you guys were pretty jammed up with that wicked project you are working on. Get it done!

mtmrider -Its real easy to do. I will write up on where to drill the holes after the weekend and update the original post.

Pap

20. May 25, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    looks sweet.......

Products Discussed in

To Top