Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vibration Nation: Complete Thread (60mph vibration)

View Poll Results: Do you have the vibration?
Yes 99 58.24%
No 71 41.76%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #21
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneHD View Post
No, please enlighten me....
When torque is applied to the rear end to push the truck forward, the rear diff rotates slightly in the opposite direction of the rear wheels (same concept as helicopter rotors). This slight rotation is due to the give in the leaf springs (they hold the diff in place).
The stiffer the leaf springs, the less diff rotates under torque. The softer the leaf springs, the more the diff rotates under torque...

So following this line of thought... If this vibration tends to occur in the vertical plain in the drive line, it would be absorbed by softer leaf springs.

If the leaf springs were stronger, they wouldn't absorb as much of the vibration, so more would be felt by the driver.

All this to say again... I wonder if this vibration has always been there, it just doesn't become noticeable until the TSB leaf springs are installed.

The question still remains, where is it coming from?
Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #22
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Just wondering...have any of you that have these vibration issues had them go away with weight in the bed? The reason I ask is I've got a 2" aal in the back and have had the front raised up at 3" and went back down to 2" (decided I like a slight rake and better cv angle) and never had vibration issues with either height. I'm thinking the extra weight of the snugtop canopy might be why.
Definitely worth trying!!! Thank you for constructive comment!!!

I'll see if I can test that tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:46 PM   #23

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
So, what I would like to do...

Anyone ever played with the live gyroscope apps on the Iphone or Ipod?

If there was some way to place a sensor like that under the truck, and watch its readings live... I would really like to see what vibrations are occurring at the yoke of the diff, the output of the transmission.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #24

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
OP,

Are you 2WD or 4x4? Because if you are 2WD, that probably eliminates vibration at the output of the transmission... The reason being a 2WD, the transmission is connected directly the the drive shaft. On a 4x4 the transmission connects to the transfer case, and then to the drive shaft.

So that means we also would have different length drive shafts... That would leave three places for the vibration. The carrier bearing, the diff, or the transmission itself.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #25
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD is on a distinguished road
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
OP,

Are you 2WD or 4x4? Because if you are 2WD, that probably eliminates vibration at the output of the transmission... The reason being a 2WD, the transmission is connected directly the the drive shaft. On a 4x4 the transmission connects to the transfer case, and then to the drive shaft.

So that means we also would have different length drive shafts... That would leave three places for the vibration. The carrier bearing, the diff, or the transmission itself.

I have a 2WD. Remember, this is a two piece driveshaft, which confuses the hell out of me. Why wouldn't it just be a one piece shaft?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:26 AM   #26

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a 2WD. Remember, this is a two piece driveshaft, which confuses the hell out of me. Why wouldn't it just be a one piece shaft?

Don't really know. I guess its a combination of ground clearance, and allowing the rear end to travel up and down without strain on u-joints...

BMW has been using split driveshafts for years without much troubles.

That being said, I'm starting to think this issue might not be related to the driveshaft.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:58 AM   #27
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogiboy View Post
have 2011 trd sport pre runner with 3 inch lift size 33 tires. no vibs fo far at any speeds. drives perfect. hope you find solution to your problem. 8t miles so far. lifted my truck a few hundred miles after i bought it.

Did you do anything to adjust the driveshaft angles?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #28
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I'm lucky - I have no vibration whatsoever at any speed between 0-100mph. 2009 4X4 SBDC w/TRD/Off Road. Just replaced the stock tires at 45K miles with same BFG Rugged Terrains - stock size. Having my OME 3" lift with 885's, Dakars & diff drop kit installed as we speak. I sure hope it doesn't screw up the ride. I don't mind a stiff rideing truck - but I HATE vibrations!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #29
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
" Then he told me what Toyota was going to be paying them for all the work, and it was nearly as much as I bought the truck brand new for."

That's crazy!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #30
morrison14 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: TSgt
Name: Matt
morrison14's Tacoma Gallery
All stock (for now) with 2072 miles on it. No vibrations.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #31
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Full OME 3" lift (coils, shocks, new rear Dakar leafs). No vibration before or after the lift. The truck feels the same at 90mph as it does at 30. I know that doesn't fix your issue - but should indicate that yours is an issue specific to your truck - and the dealer should make it right.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #32
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
So far we have a 2:1 ratio on YES. My question is, if you have the problem....have you attempted to do anything about it?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #33
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
I have the vibe...also notice it accelerating around 40-50. seems like it is a gear occilating and catching up to speed. I figure it is just an issue with a light duty frame and body with a transmission from a V8. Body isn't going to soak up as many vibes as a heavier vehicle
Old 05-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #34
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
I have the vibe...also notice it accelerating around 40-50. seems like it is a gear occilating and catching up to speed. I figure it is just an issue with a light duty frame and body with a transmission from a V8. Body isn't going to soak up as many vibes as a heavier vehicle
To me it feels like when you drive a manual and the truck is lugging in 5th and needs to be shifted to 4th
Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #35
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
To me it feels like when you drive a manual and the truck is lugging in 5th and needs to be shifted to 4th
But is this a problem with OD? It seems to go away once I hit 65mph.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #36
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
But is this a problem with OD? It seems to go away once I hit 65mph.
I dunno if it's an OD problem , but it is specific to that 50-60 MPH band .

Lugging is just how it feels to me

PS , my truck is Canadian and came stock with the 4 leaf pack , this vibe has been there since day 1 and is still the same after my lift install .
Old 05-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Well, my truck goes in for a new tranny tomorrow evening and will be purchasing a new set of Firestone Destination AT's while I am at it.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #38

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, my truck goes in for a new tranny tomorrow evening and will be purchasing a new set of Firestone Destination AT's while I am at it.
What is the reasoning for replacing the tranny ?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #39
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
What is the reasoning for replacing the tranny ?
As I originally posted, Toyota is doing this. They have done other things as well. I was surprised at this without evening opening up the one I have in there to see if there may be an issue.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #40
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
After reading all this detailed troubleshooting of the problem, you will be changing the tranny and the tires at the same time. WTF