Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vibration Nation: Complete Thread (60mph vibration)

View Poll Results: Do you have the vibration?
Yes 99 58.24%
No 71 41.76%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #41
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneHD View Post
As I originally posted, Toyota is doing this. They have done other things as well. I was surprised at this without evening opening up the one I have in there to see if there may be an issue.
I read the thread , I guess my question is what are they blaming the issue on if they are resorting to replacing the tranny ?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #42
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD is on a distinguished road
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I read the thread , I guess my question is what are they blaming the issue on if they are resorting to replacing the tranny ?

Good question. I have YET to get a solid answer on what the issue actually is.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #43
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good question. I have YET to get a solid answer on what the issue actually is.
Sounds like they are just throwing parts at it , hoping you will go away .
Old 05-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #44
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSport View Post
After reading all this detailed troubleshooting of the problem, you will be changing the tranny and the tires at the same time. WTF

I need two new tires anyways, so I am buying a new set. Whats the problem? Of course, I am having them put the tires on first, drive it and see. But after I had said previously, they had already tried this by placing a brand new set from another 2011 Tacoma on mine and the noise was still there.

If the new tires don't fix it....then the tranny goes in.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #45
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds like they are just throwing parts at it , hoping you will go away .
I am not one to go away, especially when I have spent $65k in the last year on my new Tacoma and my wife a new Highlander (2011). I switched from domestic to foreign for reliability. Other than this issue, the truck is solid and have NO problems with out Highlander.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #46

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am not one to go away, especially when I have spent $65k in the last year on my new Tacoma and my wife a new Highlander (2011). I switched from domestic to foreign for reliability. Other than this issue, the truck is solid and have NO problems with out Highlander.
What happens when they replace the tranny and the vibe we all have is still there ?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #47
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I need two new tires anyways, so I am buying a new set. Whats the problem? Of course, I am having them put the tires on first, drive it and see. But after I had said previously, they had already tried this by placing a brand new set from another 2011 Tacoma on mine and the noise was still there.

If the new tires don't fix it....then the tranny goes in.
That sounds much better, but why not replace all 4? Didn't you post that they replaced the tires already?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #48
neoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
At least the dealer is doing something about it. I took mine in and I got the expected, "We didn't feel anything." Yeah well no sh*t! You can't test drive it around the parking lot expecting to feel a vibe I get at 55-60. It's going back this week again as it's driving me nuts and I want to make sure it's on record before I lift it so they can't blame the lift for the vibration should it still be there after.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #49
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
I think this pole would be more accurate if you separated auto vs manual. I don't think any manual guys have this issue?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #50
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
At least the dealer is doing something about it. I took mine in and I got the expected, "We didn't feel anything." Yeah well no sh*t! You can't test drive it around the parking lot expecting to feel a vibe I get at 55-60. It's going back this week again as it's driving me nuts and I want to make sure it's on record before I lift it so they can't blame the lift for the vibration should it still be there after.
I've made pretty good friends with my service guy and the service manager. Both are really great guys and understand that I take pride in my vehicles. Just ask to take a ride with the service manager and point out EXACTLY when and how the vibration occurs.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #51
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
I think this pole would be more accurate if you separated auto vs manual. I don't think any manual guys have this issue?
I believe you are incorrect. I have read anything from 2WD manual and auto to 4x4 manual and auto, lifted and stock....
Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #52
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm....can't be transmission or torque converter. Anybody think it might be related to the grinding sensation people feel when they let off the gas at around those speeds?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #53
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to OZ...double post.....
Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #54

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why did you quote and post that again ?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #55
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why did you quote and post that again ?

OZ-T, it was an accident......
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #56
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just a thought....

On top of my other ideas I've presented, I do have one more.
The cause of the vibration is the engine. This would be a harmonic of the engine plus the drivetrain at the specific engine load and gear. This would explain why the vibration goes away when the throttle is released. This would also would explain why the vibration goes away when the transmission is shifted into 4th.

I guess the true test of this will be after OP has his transmission replaced.

Just a FYI, you guys with aggressive off-road tires probably won't feel it. The vibration would probably be masked by the noise and vibration introduced by the tires.

Anyone the has some technical knowledge about resonant frequencies should understand where I'm getting this idea from.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #57
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
Just a thought....

On top of my other ideas I've presented, I do have one more.
The cause of the vibration is the engine. This would be a harmonic of the engine plus the drivetrain at the specific engine load and gear. This would explain why the vibration goes away when the throttle is released. This would also would explain why the vibration goes away when the transmission is shifted into 4th.

I guess the true test of this will be after OP has his transmission replaced.

Just a FYI, you guys with aggressive off-road tires probably won't feel it. The vibration would probably be masked by the noise and vibration introduced by the tires.

Anyone the has some technical knowledge about resonant frequencies should understand where I'm getting this idea from.

Maybe this will all be fixed in the next generation model....
Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #58
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maybe this will all be fixed in the next generation model....
If harmonics proves to be the culprit, there will probably nothing that can be done about it.
The only hope we will have is that.... It's a tacoma, and thats why we bought one. Even with issues(such as half blown up by a IED), they will run forever.

My only hope is that the vibration doesn't cause premature wear and failure on critical bearings and brushing in the transmission and diff.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #59
Taco Tuesday
ShaneHD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XTaco View Post
If harmonics proves to be the culprit, there will probably nothing that can be done about it.
The only hope we will have is that.... It's a tacoma, and thats why we bought one. Even with issues(such as half blown up by a IED), they will run forever.

My only hope is that the vibration doesn't cause premature wear and failure on critical bearings and brushing in the transmission and diff.

I have 75k miles left in my extended warranty and 11k left in my initial warranty.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #60

A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have 75k miles left in my extended warranty and 11k left in my initial warranty.
To be completely honest, if your new transmission doesn't fix it, im not going to be worried about it. It's a jap vehicle. I had a 97 accord that had so many vibrations and noises it was scary. I drove that Damn car all over the country (work). i put 40,000 miles on that car(200,000 when I traded it in). The vibrations didn't get any worse in the time I owned it. I wouldn't think twice about driving that thing across the country.

The only failure I had was a rear main seal... Related to it not installed properly after a clutch replacement before I owned it.