1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would you do?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CVYota, May 22, 2011.

1. May 22, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    CVYota

CVYota [OP] Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    I have been reading posts on this site for a long time, I never felt I had a question to ask, just enjoyed reading about the great mods you all have done and the great Fab shops out there. I am on my second Taco, I had a '05 prerunner DCSB off road pkg, I had left it stock and never felt a need to mod it . After 5 years and 100K I decided to trade up to a 2011 4WD SR5 DCLB. In 6 months I already have 15k and have hit a few trails. I was hoping to find the tiny dunlop grandtrek AT20s too crappy, nope, they work fine (damn) but I am digging trenches with my hitch and high centering....soooo if I am to do only one mod a year, where do I start? What is the most bang for the buck for those of us that dont have the 'disposable' income we used to?

I dont need brands, there are enough of those threads. Do I wait for taller tires, 5100s with a 1.75 lift, rear bumper with better clearance, armor up the underside or stay out of the Mojave desert?

If there is another thread that talks to this question please let me know. I couldnt find it.

2. May 23, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    wolfdog2314

wolfdog2314 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Sport
    Eibach coils. 5100's all around. AAL. WickedFlow
    Sounds like your on the right track!

I'd wait until you can do tires and lift at the same time. Tho u can fit 265/75/16 on stock. So if u wanted a more aggressive tire u could go with that now.

Then buy a set of 5100's at downsouth motorsports when your ready.

3. May 23, 2011 at 5:58 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

I have the TSB and Billys set at .85.

so i have less than a inch of lift.

but you dont need a lift for 265/75R16 tires.

These tires are all-terrain tires that are also snow rated.

the Tires would be the best bang for your buck,

any lift would be a want, not a need.

4. May 23, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    CVYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.

Thats the way I have always seen it, the tires and sb gave me a little more clearance on the '05, I would like to get back to that. Alright I will just wait until I wear these tires out, should be another 6 months, I might take off the hitch until then.

5. May 23, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    yes! another "what would you do" thread i can post this in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVY7qDjrPZk

. . . OP, personally i would start with free cosmetics work. that's all ive been able to do so far. take off all the dumb chrome, debadge, stuff like that that makes it look better and actually taller when you ditch the step rails. shocks up front are my next goal, so seeing we have the same truck pretty much, that's what i would/am doing.

6. May 23, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    DCLB FTMFW Bitches

I went full OME lift on mine , and those Grantreks suck donkey balls .

7. May 24, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    CVYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    x2-the step rails came off the first day before the engine was cold.

Donkey balls aside, they never failed to get me over and through- but yes yota could have made a much better choice on a 4X4. In fact somewhere on the Dunlop site, it refered to the truck as a 'luxury SUV' oh I just barfed a little in my mouth

8. Jun 30, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    CVYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    update-Got the TSB and it gave me a nice lift in the back-priced the toytec coils and 5100 shocks and I can get them installed for close to the price of 5 new tires-no lift on the billys but 1.6 on the coils should level it out-my donkey ball sucking tires may have to last to life end.....

Products Discussed in

To Top