Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

STarting in 2nd gear?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #1
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
STarting in 2nd gear?

Searched and didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have been skip shifting a lot recently and mostly starting off in 2nd gear. It's a convenience thing of not having to row each gear all the time, especially considering what a joke 1st gear is on my 6 speed.

I feather the clutch a bit to avoid the vibrations. Figured even with the feathering, the clutch is getting used the same amount since you avoid an entire shift in the process. Added benefit of keeping the engine under 2k rpms for longer.

Does this sound OK to folks? Anyone do the same and noticed any ill effects?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:44 AM   #2
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
i had no idea it was an inconvenience to shift.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808matt View Post
i had no idea it was an inconvenience to shift.
Thanks for a comment that adds no value to my question. This isn't a thread about the merits/demerits of a stick shift, it was a simple question.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea how low geared the Tacoma stick shift is, but I used to do the same thing frequently with other trucks if I was on a flat or downhill. As long as you're not riding the clutch, it won't do anything to the truck. I was usually more apt to start in first and skip second but that obviously depends on how the truck's gearing is set-up.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I do the same and for the same reason as you. The car didn't bog or anything so I figured it was okay to do it. I've done it in the past with other cars and had no problems.

But then it was said to me, "Why do you want to keep it around 2k rpm when the red line is waaaay up there? It won't hurt it to be at 3k or 3.5k." Made me think a little bit so I started to use first again and shifting at 2.5 or 3k. I'm getting used to it.

But other than that, I've had no ill effects on any of my cars.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Shifting Member
TeXian will become famous soon enough

Name: Christian
TeXian's Tacoma Gallery
if I need the torque, I'll start of in 1st. otherwise, I leave it in 2nd as much as possible because 1st gear is sooooooo short.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
If it's flat or downhill, I will start in 2nd. Even with my 33's. Anything uphill or if I'm hauling or towing I will use 1st.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #8
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
I do the same thing.

I skip down from 5th to 3rd as well.

As for the "keeping it under 2,000 rpm" thing. That's strictly for fuel economy, as the higher rpms, the more gas is being used.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't skip 1st, unless the truck is rolling. I do skip 3 and 5 th.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Simms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimms65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: David
Simms65's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Simms65
Most of the time I skip 1st unless I'm starting uphill.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Hmmm. Bought a manual yet skipping gears because there are too many gears?

Well some manual vehicles do force you skip gears but not first. All GM 6 speeds have a skip shift that makes you bypass 3rd gear and go right to 4th during normal driving(or is it skip 2nd and go to 3rd). I would not skip first since you have to slip the clutch quite a bit to get going.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #12

Thanks for all the opinions. No contest that slight slipping of clutch is necessary to get going from 2nd, but doesn't skipping an entire gear sort of make up for it? Use it more, but use it half the time deal.

Just for the record, I have motorcycles (which are all manual gear shifts in case that needed explanation), I grew up overseas where stick shift is the norm and most of my car history has involved manuals by choice. I am not an anti-stick shift guy. Quite the opposite. I am, however, anti-non sensical, half-ass implementation of stick shift- guy. There is absolutely no reason for a 4000lb truck that makes a piddly 236 HP to have such closely spaced gear ratios. The damn thing doesn't even make any power past 4k rpms anyway, so why bother with such close ratios? And what the eff is up with the RPM hang? Whatever the explanation (minimizing emmissions and drive line clunk etc.), its just completely unacceptable for a product to get through design, QA and production with such an idiotic flaw. From my own experience, I think an Acura/Honda 6 speed is the definition of what a stick shift/clutch combination should feel and operate like. On the same count, I think the Tacoma 6 speed is the anti-thesis of what a stick shift should be like.

Entirely my fault for not researching the 6speed before buying it. I went into the dealership and couldn't pass up on the smoking deal on this left over so I bought it and I will make my peace with it. Doesn't mean I can't call a donkey a donkey.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
The only vehicle you should skip first is any with a "granny" first gear. And trust me, the tacoma has, and never will have that. It's mainly reserved for full size trucks.

so no, you should not skip first, you're wearing out the clutch faster.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Just thought y'all should know, I am now feeling guilty for my second gear start.

First gear it is from now on.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You 6 speed guys should just start off in 6th gear to avoid shifting at all. Bring the revs up to about 5000 RPM and slowly release the clutch. It will sound like a CVT trans.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #16
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Any time you are slipping the clutch you are generating heat. Any time you are generating heat you are accelerating the wear. Any time you accelerate wear you increase your cost per mile.

YMMV

My last three vehicles have been automatics but I had various manuals before that and typically only used the clutch to get the vehicle moving. Then I gently waited on the synchros to align and let the transmission snick into the next gear. I used the clutch for downshifts. You can downshift by matching RPMs up but it is harder to get it right w/o grinding.

Just be glad we have synchros now. I was originally taught to double clutch on each shift.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
No. Slip it longer and 3 times as hard, burns up your clutch 6 times faster. Shifting from 1st to 2nd doesn't cause **ANY** wear on the clutch if shifted right -- because you match the speed of the flywheel to the clutch before engagement. The ONLY clutching that should wear your clutch is the actual 1st gear engagement. The rest are zero wear shifts.

Piddly? You're kidding, aren't you? The V6 Tacoma is severely overpowered.

You bought a truck, not a sports car. Its for pulling a load, keeping the thing in the lowest ratio possible while accelerating a heavy load helps to get the load moving more easily. Ever wonder why a transport rig has 18 gear ratios?

I don't agree. I would love to have a 10+ speed, lots of closely spaced gears.
strangely, I agree with your first two ideas...I'm worried now.
Extra clutch spin while starting in second is the worst thing you can do to the clutch....it gets almost no wear if you match revs correctly between gears.
All the clutch wear is during the slippage while starting.
The reverse gear is another ridiculous ratio in the 6sp box.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #18

Quote:
No. Slip it longer and 3 times as hard, burns up your clutch 6 times faster. Shifting from 1st to 2nd doesn't cause **ANY** wear on the clutch if shifted right -- because you match the speed of the flywheel to the clutch before engagement. The ONLY clutching that should wear your clutch is the actual 1st gear engagement. The rest are zero wear shifts.
OK, good to know. Thank you for that explanation.

Quote:

Piddly? You're kidding, aren't you? The V6 Tacoma is severely overpowered.
Overpowered??? You are the one that must be kidding. If you are coming from something slower, the 236 may seem like a lot, but some of us do have different standards.

Quote:

You bought a truck, not a sports car. Its for pulling a load, keeping the thing in the lowest ratio possible while accelerating a heavy load helps to get the load moving more easily. Ever wonder why a transport rig has 18 gear ratios?
No, I don't wonder why a transport rig has 18 ratios. The Tacoma is a light truck, and by that definition, it is not exclusively meant to pull heavy loads. It is meant to also do grocery duty and be used for other everyday commuting needs. If pulling loads was the only thing a light truck was judged by, you wouldn't need an Access cab or double cab or any of the creature comforts we get on the Tacoma. The 6 speed falls severely short on those counts.

Quote:
I don't agree. I would love to have a 10+ speed, lots of closely spaced gears.
Good for you.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I have started in 2nd or 3rd but accident but not plan. I think 1st shoule not be skipped, just feels wierd
Old 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
Shifting Member
TeXian will become famous soon enough

TeXian's Tacoma Gallery
ok, from now on...

full stop = pop clutch 1st gear

rolling stop = feather clutch 2nd gear

rev hang does suck!

Our trucks are NOT sports cars and any tranny comparisons is apples to oranges.

Now where did I leave my keys?