1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noob? TRD Sport 4x4 & LSD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dtrujillo63, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Oct 5, 2008 at 11:33 PM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    I've been wondering, I know my TRD Sport has rear LSD. If I understand how LSD works, it shifts power between on the rear wheels. Providing more power to the tire that has the most traction. What about the front differential when using 4x4? Is it an even 50/50 at all times to the front tires?

2. Oct 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    no, the front sends power 50/50 until one has more traction and then it sends it to the one that is easier to spin, the one with less traction, which is why one tire will be on the ground stationary and the one in the air just spins. the limited slip really doesnt send it to the one with more traction, it just adds some resistance to the one with less traction and in turn helps to feed power to the one with traction.

3. Oct 6, 2008 at 12:09 AM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    Why would the front differential send power to the wheel with less traction while in 4x4?

4. Oct 6, 2008 at 3:04 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    That's how an open diff works. There's nothing connecting the axle shafts in the diff. Thus why a locker "locks" them together. So when the driveshaft applies power to the driveshafts and they're allowed to slip to accomidate changes in wheel rotation speed (like when going around a corner) it takes the path of least resistance, the wheel with less traction. Or in the extreme case the wheel in the air, cause it's just to damn hard to spin that wheel on the ground.

Now I have heard a technique where you power brake through an open diff effectively making it sort of a LSD. Basically using brakes to apply the resistance to try to get some power to the tire on the ground. I've tried it. I didn't really notice anything.

I'd go through all the different differentials but it's been covered way to many times before. Just go with ARBs front and rear and call it a day:D

Products Discussed in

To Top