Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Noob? TRD Sport 4x4 & LSD

Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Noob? TRD Sport 4x4 & LSD

I've been wondering, I know my TRD Sport has rear LSD. If I understand how LSD works, it shifts power between on the rear wheels. Providing more power to the tire that has the most traction. What about the front differential when using 4x4? Is it an even 50/50 at all times to the front tires?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
no, the front sends power 50/50 until one has more traction and then it sends it to the one that is easier to spin, the one with less traction, which is why one tire will be on the ground stationary and the one in the air just spins. the limited slip really doesnt send it to the one with more traction, it just adds some resistance to the one with less traction and in turn helps to feed power to the one with traction.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Why would the front differential send power to the wheel with less traction while in 4x4?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:04 AM   #4
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
That's how an open diff works. There's nothing connecting the axle shafts in the diff. Thus why a locker "locks" them together. So when the driveshaft applies power to the driveshafts and they're allowed to slip to accomidate changes in wheel rotation speed (like when going around a corner) it takes the path of least resistance, the wheel with less traction. Or in the extreme case the wheel in the air, cause it's just to damn hard to spin that wheel on the ground.

Now I have heard a technique where you power brake through an open diff effectively making it sort of a LSD. Basically using brakes to apply the resistance to try to get some power to the tire on the ground. I've tried it. I didn't really notice anything.

I'd go through all the different differentials but it's been covered way to many times before. Just go with ARBs front and rear and call it a day