Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Shift points

Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Toycan is on a distinguished road

Toycan's Tacoma Gallery
Shift points

I've got a manual 6 speed and am tempted to skip gears when driving causally with traffic etc like going from 3rd to 5th for example, anyone else do this, seems to pull well without pinging form like 1100 or 1200 rpm and just wondered what other expirences were.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I skip 3rd all the time with my 5 speed.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
TACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to allTACK is a name known to all

TACK's Tacoma Gallery
I skip sometimes depending on circumstances (going downhill, accelerating slowly, etc, etc).
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
dan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddan0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dan0's Tacoma Gallery
wont hurt a thing
manuals are made for that kind of shifting
Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Push in the clutch and move the lever wherever you want. The beauty of a manual.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
is yours a trd? i cant see how you could skip 3rd in mine since the change from 3-4 is the tallest change. at least thats how it feels to me.i shift at 2k always so maybe thats the difference too.
well the main road in my town has a 30mph speed limit and is about 5 miles before I get to the faster roads. So I take off in 1st, then hit second till 30 mph and just throw it in 4th to cruise. Now if I need to go faster than 30 then yeah you need 3rd.

BTW my SR5 and your TRD have identical drivetrains other than your e-locker.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
braaap

Quote:
even gearing? i thouht the TRDs are geared differently? i just feel like the engine is bogging down if it goes below 1300 rpm while driving around. idk im still new to driving a standard. i love it tho, just still figuring out the quirks. im starting to just start off in 2nd if i have a bit of momentum to start. bout as fancy as i have gotten yet.
well you don't want to accelarate with the RPM's that low because it is bad for the engine. But for just maintaining a constant speed on flat ground 1200 rpm is fine.

BTW I have 4.10's in my rear end, which should also be the same as you.

Also you are right about using second if you're not completely stopped. 1st is only to be used for starting off, or slow crawling in traffic or something.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Redline each gear.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
braaap

Quote:
aight cool! k here is really stupid rookie question. am i hurting anything by slipping it outta gear to coast up to lights and stuff without using the clutch. i dont force it out but when theres no load on it and it just slips out?
nope perfectly fine, I do the same thing. Right at about 1k rpm it should slip right out.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
aight cool! k here is really stupid rookie question. am i hurting anything by slipping it outta gear to coast up to lights and stuff without using the clutch. i dont force it out but when theres no load on it and it just slips out?

No harm done.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
braaap

Quote:
i usually get it to slip out at and time (usually under 2k cause i rarely go above that) by just letting off the gas and before engine braking begins. i just am working on sometimes i get that lurchy acceleration and i cant pinpoint what im doing. it sucks, no one in my family and non of my friends drive manuals to ask and ive been to embarrassed to ask on here yet
Its easier and helps save on brakes to just leave it in gear till it goes down to about 1k rpm. When I was still getting used to this truck I just kept a little bit of constant pressure on the shifter while slowing till it slides out of gear.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
braaap

Quote:
ya i usually coast up to a 1/4 mile up to lights and stopsigns to save gas. i cant see myself in a auto ever again cuz it is soo damn fun, i cant explain why driving around town is fun now but it is!
same here, I've never owned an auto and don't see myself owning one till Im old lol.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
do all of you guys look at the rpm's while shifting? i dont ever look anymore
Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808matt View Post
do all of you guys look at the rpm's while shifting? i dont ever look anymore
ever since driving my old Sonoma for 8 months (no tac) I dont. Only when having a little fun on the on ramp
Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
braaap

Quote:

btw just checked out your rig. i like it! you ever paint the rear bumper since the rest of the chrome is black on the truck?
Yep, rear bumper has been black for over a year. I couldn't stand the chrome
Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
Toycan is on a distinguished road

Toycan's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a ton, good to know that I'm not alone on minimizing shifts when I can.

Good input, Caio for now
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I'm sure I'm going to get blasted again but a Retired MP Sargeant friend (I know, it's HIM again) says to ALWAYS use clutch, always shift sequentially (big word for me) through each gear both up and down; it aligns the syncros so it shifts properly through the gears; if you don't you will eventually wear out the syncros and you'll be rebuilding your transmission. My .02 cents worth.

Steve
Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #20
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Ok, I'm sure I'm going to get blasted again but a Retired MP Sargeant friend (I know, it's HIM again) says to ALWAYS use clutch, always shift sequentially (big word for me) through each gear both up and down; it aligns the syncros so it shifts properly through the gears; if you don't you will eventually wear out the syncros and you'll be rebuilding your transmission. My .02 cents worth.

Steve
as long as you rev match you're fine, makes no difference weather you skip a gear or not.

I agree on the always using the clutch part though.