Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mounting a toolbox - newbie

Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
USNavyTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electricians Mate Third Class Petty Officer
USNavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mounting a toolbox - newbie

newbie here to the tacoma's rail system.

Is there a box I can buy online that slides nicely into the adjustable tie down rails? No drilling required?

Im looking fox a box that is low profile as to not obscure the rear window much, but deep, so I can haul all my tools that are currently taking up the rear floor of my access cab.

Or if I do have to drill, does anyone have directions I can follow? Never done this before, my uncles old f-150 had the toolbox drilled into the floor of the bed with 4 big bolts, very simple, but required alot of drilling and measuring for installation, and was very permanent . I dont wanna go that route... I want a simple slide in and go box that could be removed in the future...
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
GuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really nice
GuapOh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNavyTaco View Post
newbie here to the tacoma's rail system.

Is there a box I can buy online that slides nicely into the adjustable tie down rails? No drilling required?

Im looking fox a box that is low profile as to not obscure the rear window much, but deep, so I can haul all my tools that are currently taking up the rear floor of my access cab.

Or if I do have to drill, does anyone have directions I can follow? Never done this before, my uncles old f-150 had the toolbox drilled into the floor of the bed with 4 big bolts, very simple, but required alot of drilling and measuring for installation, and was very permanent . I dont wanna go that route... I want a simple slide in and go box that could be removed in the future...

Yes. Kobalt makes a box for our truck and you can purchase a pair of mounting blocks to fasten it to the Taco's bed rail system without mods or drilling. I've seen both of these items at Lowes. The mounting blocks are roughly $30.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
just get 2 j-hooks, drill one hole per side in the TOOL BOX, slide j-hook through and into the channel on the bed. I did that and super easy, theirs a write-up here somewhere.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
USNavyTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electricians Mate Third Class Petty Officer
USNavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ah the mounting brackets seem to be a good idea.

Just to split hairs here. New problem with my Tacoma. After jump starting someone yesterday. Noticed something new amiss. When first starting the truck from a cold start, there is an audible squeak that lasts a minute or 2 Sounds to me like a belt. But it only does this when warm out. What could this be? Randomly loosened belt? Moisture?

Really don't wanna go and have the belts adjusted or do em myself if this is simply a moisture problem. That I can fix with a rag.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Damaged Goods
ag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ag4892's Tacoma Gallery
as far as the tool box goes, I bought a Titan box and made connectors for the rails. The box fits nice and tight against the back of the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Mounting a toolbox - newbie-img00034-20110524-1614.jpg   Mounting a toolbox - newbie-img00038-20110524-1622.jpg   Mounting a toolbox - newbie-img00040-20110524-1623.jpg   Mounting a toolbox - newbie-img00043-20110524-1632.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
ShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadesOfGrey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Aircraft Fuel Handler
Name: Jamie
ShadesOfGrey's Tacoma Gallery
I slid 2 pieces of aluminum in the rail. I was able to bolt my toolbox and headache rack up good. Nice and sturdy. Pictures on my build page.