1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mounting a toolbox - newbie

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by USNavyTaco, May 23, 2011.

1. May 23, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    USNavyTaco

USNavyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma prerunner sr5 with mods
    2 inch coil spacers up front, tsb rear, Kobalt toolbox, westin bull bar, driver seat height mod, jvc head unit, rag joint zip tie truss mod, 17inch alloy 4runner sr5 rims wrapped in 265 yoko geolanders, off road lights, uhaul hitch, tacoma seat covers, avs vent visors, debadged prerunner, mud flaps gone, scanguage II, glovebox shock absorber mod,flowmaster 40 exhaust,
    newbie here to the tacoma's rail system.

Is there a box I can buy online that slides nicely into the adjustable tie down rails? No drilling required?

Im looking fox a box that is low profile as to not obscure the rear window much, but deep, so I can haul all my tools that are currently taking up the rear floor of my access cab.

Or if I do have to drill, does anyone have directions I can follow? Never done this before, my uncles old f-150 had the toolbox drilled into the floor of the bed with 4 big bolts, very simple, but required alot of drilling and measuring for installation, and was very permanent . I dont wanna go that route... I want a simple slide in and go box that could be removed in the future...

2. May 23, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    GuapOh

GuapOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 MT
    Skid Plate, Hood Protector, Wheel Locks, Snugtop XV, Yakima Rack, Weathertechs, Sick Speed Shifter, Avid Bumper, Avid Sliders, Bilstien 5100's, TSB Spring packs

Yes. Kobalt makes a box for our truck and you can purchase a pair of mounting blocks to fasten it to the Taco's bed rail system without mods or drilling. I've seen both of these items at Lowes. The mounting blocks are roughly $30.

3. May 24, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    just get 2 j-hooks, drill one hole per side in the TOOL BOX, slide j-hook through and into the channel on the bed. I did that and super easy, theirs a write-up here somewhere.

4. May 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    USNavyTaco

USNavyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma prerunner sr5 with mods
    2 inch coil spacers up front, tsb rear, Kobalt toolbox, westin bull bar, driver seat height mod, jvc head unit, rag joint zip tie truss mod, 17inch alloy 4runner sr5 rims wrapped in 265 yoko geolanders, off road lights, uhaul hitch, tacoma seat covers, avs vent visors, debadged prerunner, mud flaps gone, scanguage II, glovebox shock absorber mod,flowmaster 40 exhaust,
    Ah the mounting brackets seem to be a good idea.

Just to split hairs here. New problem with my Tacoma. After jump starting someone yesterday. Noticed something new amiss. When first starting the truck from a cold start, there is an audible squeak that lasts a minute or 2 Sounds to me like a belt. But it only does this when warm out. What could this be? Randomly loosened belt? Moisture?

Really don't wanna go and have the belts adjusted or do em myself if this is simply a moisture problem. That I can fix with a rag.

5. May 24, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    CVYota

CVYota Damaged goods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Crescenta Valley
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB V6 4WD
    Extended front 2.5 Icons. LR UCAs, Dakar Leaf Springs, rear King Smooth 2.5 w/res , Softopper, 285/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with kevlar,16x8 SCS wheels 4.5 bs, Brute Force Rear bumper, 4x4 switch led, Diff Breather mod, weathertechs, Pelfrybilt front bumper, IFS and mid skids, B.A.M.F rear diff armor, LCA armor, Light bar mount and Sliders, Homer grill, Andres Devil horns, LED light bar, gauge pod with dual battery gauge and ecometer. Dual battery.
    as far as the tool box goes, I bought a Titan box and made connectors for the rails. The box fits nice and tight against the back of the bed.

IMG00034-20110524-1614.jpg
    IMG00038-20110524-1622.jpg
    IMG00040-20110524-1623.jpg
    IMG00043-20110524-1632.jpg

6. Jul 25, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    ShadesOfGrey

ShadesOfGrey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB, TRD Sport 4x4, MGM
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, Airaid CAI, Pro Comp 3" Suspension Lift, 17" Moto Metal rims w/ 33" Pro Comp tires, Powder Coated Pro-Tech Headache Rack & Toolbox
    I slid 2 pieces of aluminum in the rail. I was able to bolt my toolbox and headache rack up good. Nice and sturdy. Pictures on my build page.

Products Discussed in

To Top