Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Skid Plate Yes or No

Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
Taco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Skid Plate Yes or No

So I am trying to decide on this skid plate but not sure if it's worth it. I kinda like the looks of it but I don't do much off roading. Its priced at 156.00 so it's not THAT expensive...but what do you all think?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
If you like the look and dont off road then go for it. From what I've read on here the thing crumbles like newspaper if you hit something with it. So I say on road go for it. I'd actually like to get one myself.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
maestroz2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
maestroz2's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it, I got one for my truck as soon as i got it.

I don't do any off roading, i just use the truck for hauling and towing stuff on the street, mainly bought it because i likes the looks of it.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
yea I think it's just for looks, does not protect much.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #6
section8 is on a distinguished road

section8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco93 View Post
So I am trying to decide on this skid plate but not sure if it's worth it. I kinda like the looks of it but I don't do much off roading. Its priced at 156.00 so it's not THAT expensive...but what do you all think?
Is that 156 Canadian bucks from the dealer?? If so, wonder if it would be cheaper than that in the US? I was thinking of picking one up also, just been too lazy to call around and get prices.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Agree with others that it bends fairly easily. I'm saving up for the beefy skids myself. It actually came in useful once when crossing a stream. Somebody had parked their Subaru at the stream edge thinking nobody would be coming down the trail. I had to take an odd approach angle and it did a bit of scraping along river rocks. It bent a little (not nearly as much a Pd3's) but since rocks weren't sharp, I was able to bend it back and move on. There is a skid plate underneath this skid plate but this has kept that other skid plate looking like new. If you're gonna put it to actual use, get the beefy skids. You don't do much off-roading and I agree it does look good so it may be just right for you. I paid about $300 US at the stealership when I purchased my vehicle.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine so much I had the truck painted to match the skid plate!
Agree that it will likely deform with a direct hard blow - but if the plate takes the hit and spares the truck then I'm OK with it. AFAIK the OEM one is aluminum - at least it didn't feel like steel when I installed it in my driveway - so I didn't really expect it to be bulletproof.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Skid Plate Yes or No-img_0702.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
tommyc is on a distinguished road
Name: tommy
tommyc's Tacoma Gallery
Dude save your money and look for a real skid plate, that piece of tin is crap. i saw one of the guys on here was making them from 1/4 steel. check out those first.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
No!!! Well if you need to plow snow then get it.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
LARGE Member
BLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bryce
BLUVVV's Tacoma Gallery
I bought mine today... I was thinking the same thing as you... I decided to get it as a (just in case buy). Id rather buy this now and not pay for broken shit later... like my dad who had to replace radiator on his 09 when a rock went through it.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Skid Plate Yes or No-dscn0284.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
omac5 has a brilliant futureomac5 has a brilliant futureomac5 has a brilliant futureomac5 has a brilliant futureomac5 has a brilliant futureomac5 has a brilliant futureomac5 has a brilliant futureomac5 has a brilliant futureomac5 has a brilliant futureomac5 has a brilliant futureomac5 has a brilliant future

Name: Marqus
omac5's Tacoma Gallery
Wher is d best place to order one of these?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #14
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by omac5 View Post
Wher is d best place to order one of these?
http://www.trdparts4u.com/Scripts/pr...product=285525
Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
three west is on a distinguished road
Name: JD
three west's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
looks like that includes mounting hardware?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
JWF793 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonathon
JWF793's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
If you like the look and dont off road then go for it. From what I've read on here the thing crumbles like newspaper if you hit something with it. So I say on road go for it. I'd actually like to get one myself.
I hit a fence at 25mph and my skit plate saved my truck so much. so it can be helpful for more than just off roading.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #18
amadougrand is on a distinguished road

amadougrand's Tacoma Gallery
It is a POS and the first time you tap anything in crumples. I have had mine back off three time to try and knock it into some sort of shape that resembles the original. Figured it was taking some of the shots though so I kept putting it back on. Can't wait to toss it when my Elite bumper gets in.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #19
Taco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses....I just bought a tonneau, nerf bars next, and then maybe I'll have come to the conclusion about this skid...
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #20
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco93 View Post
Thanks for all the responses....I just bought a tonneau, nerf bars next, and then maybe I'll have come to the conclusion about this skid...
Just get it. You said yourself your not really off roading, so its durability is irrelevant. I bought one because i liked the way it looked, simple as that.