Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2nd gen bed

Old 05-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen bed

Are the beds just plastic? Or is there metal between the plastic? I'm designing a bed rack so I can haul more than just my dog's kennel in the back. I want to put 4-8 bolts in the bottom of the bed to hold this thing up. What problems am I going to run into with this if any?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Anyone really quick before I take off to go to the fab shop?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal4banger View Post
Are the beds just plastic? Or is there metal between the plastic? I'm designing a bed rack so I can haul more than just my dog's kennel in the back. I want to put 4-8 bolts in the bottom of the bed to hold this thing up. What problems am I going to run into with this if any?
I've got d-rings that I added in the rain water drain holes in the front of the bed. I drilled them larger and put in some d-rings. They've held up great supporting the motorcycle.

To directly answer your question, it's a composite. I'm not 100% sure what it is but it is magnetic (at least the back posts inside the rear tail lights are because you can get a good electrical ground there).

Depending on the stress you think this thing will see, put a plate washer on the bottom side and you'll be good to go.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
But how would I get to there from the bed?
Old 05-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
It might help if we knew what you were attempting and where you intend to mount it. The bed is fairly strong and you can drill it and use thru-bolts. Use a backer plate or a washer if you can, it'll only make it less likely to fail. You can crawl under the truck and stick a washer and nut on whatever you're bolting to the bottom of the bed.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
When I added extra d-rings I backed them with 4" x 4" x 1/8" stainless from beneath to spread out the stress points.

Drill a pilot hole and then go larger.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Its just a composite bed, no metal.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Today was a good day, I didn't have to use my AK
meirvin will become famous soon enough

meirvin's Tacoma Gallery
but to answer your question Yes it is some kind of High strength composite plastic
Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
11-98 MUD

Law Enforcement:
I don't really know how to explain it well, but its a basket rack that will have for legs. The four legs will be bolted to the bed through flat pieces that welded to the bottom of each leg. I'll either do 1 to 2 bolts for flat piece that holds the legs. I don't know if that makes sense or not but the guy said in about a week or so it'll be done. I'm not sure which size bolts I will use but I know there is going to be a big washer and lock washer underneath the bed. Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense. But hopefully you get the idea
Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #10
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal4banger View Post
I don't really know how to explain it well, but its a basket rack that will have for legs. The four legs will be bolted to the bed through flat pieces that welded to the bottom of each leg. I'll either do 1 to 2 bolts for flat piece that holds the legs. I don't know if that makes sense or not but the guy said in about a week or so it'll be done. I'm not sure which size bolts I will use but I know there is going to be a big washer and lock washer underneath the bed. Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense. But hopefully you get the idea
I'd put flat plates (same size as the ones welded to the legs or even a little larger) also under the bed and sandwich the bed between those plates. I'd assume one thru bolt in each plate would be plenty. Depending how big these 'plates' are I wouldn't want holes in the composite too close to each other.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #11
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to thread jack .. Where did you get the D-rings from? I would love to add 2 more to the front of the bed.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
NRA Benefactor Member
LTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the rough

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
When I added extra d-rings I backed them with 4" x 4" x 1/8" stainless from beneath to spread out the stress points.

Drill a pilot hole and then go larger.
I did this as well.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
Sorry to thread jack .. Where did you get the D-rings from? I would love to add 2 more to the front of the bed.
I bought a set from Toyota. The same ones that are mounted in the rear of the bed. There are other other aftermarket options that work well, I belive military surplus is a popular choice and strong as hell!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
NRA Benefactor Member
LTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the rough

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
Someone has a thread on this forum that they have a source for the D rings and they are much cheaper than Toyota D rings.