Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Damage Jump Starting

Old 05-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
USNavyTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electricians Mate Third Class Petty Officer
USNavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Damage Jump Starting

Well. Heres a sad story of what idiot people do in idiot cars.

Was jump starting a classmates BMW x5 with my tacoma. Well. The idiot decided that he was going to go try and start it while the cables are connected, which is fine. But what he did next was scary. He floored his x5 once he got it started. I mean. He redlined his engine. Is there any chance he damaged anything vital electronics wise in my truck? Would any damage or overload appear immediately?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think so? he would just charge your battery i believe. not too sure though
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Should be fine.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Should be fine.
this
Old 05-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNavyTaco View Post
Well. Heres a sad story of what idiot people do in idiot cars.

Was jump starting a classmates BMW x5 with my tacoma. Well. The idiot decided that he was going to go try and start it while the cables are connected, which is fine. But what he did next was scary. He floored his x5 once he got it started. I mean. He redlined his engine. Is there any chance he damaged anything vital electronics wise in my truck? Would any damage or overload appear immediately?
isnt that what your supposed to do?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
tommyc is on a distinguished road
Name: tommy
tommyc's Tacoma Gallery
Yo Dude you should be good as long as you connected the cables correctly, you didn't do neg to neg pos to pos. next time tell him screw call AAA
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Voltage is not proportional to rpm, and the alternator is regulated.

Nothing to worry about here.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Tell the BMW guy to hold it to the throttle floor to charge the battery quickly.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #10

no i did positive to positve, negative to grounding point on his engine block.

I know nothing is amiss..yet... although it did start weird this morning...

and voltage is regulated, thank god...thats good to hear......ive got him all worried. i told him my truck is dead and that i called the cops...kid is crapping his pants right now...

i just always thought that current can backflow? or is this only when connecting pos to pos and neg to neg?

and if current ever does backflow, just for future reference, wouldnt a blown fuse be the first indication? or any problems with electricals popping up immediately? sorry just new to these trucks..old car had a surge protecting battery, this one has a standard one...
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
Lucky for you in this case, he's only hurting his engine by revving it up when it first starts. Next time shut off your motor during charge or don't do it at all.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #12

So just to be clear,and to learn... an alternators output is NOT proportional to the RPM of the engine? i thought that is why you give the GOOD car in a jump a little gas? to increase alternator output?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ive got him all worried. i told him my truck is dead and that i called the cops...kid is crapping his pants right now...
Why did you do that ^^^ ?

Your truck should be fine. Usually when you jump start a car you do it with the cables still connected.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Why did you do that ^^^ ?

Your truck should be fine. Usually when you jump start a car you do it with the cables still connected.

cause im not a huge fan of this kid.. so i figured id scare him a bit...the only reason i jumped him is cause i figured someone who doesnt like me would do the same for me.. IE.. karma.....

hopefully no electrical gremlins will pop up now.. if i wanted to live with those i would have bought a jeep grand cherokee....
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So just to be clear,and to learn... an alternators output is NOT proportional to the RPM of the engine? i thought that is why you give the GOOD car in a jump a little gas? to increase alternator output?
It's a little complicated, but at low RPM an alternator's output can 'droop' even with maximum field current. The field current is how the regulator or computer controls the alternator output.

So you bump the RPM up a bit above idle, and that lets the alternator put out what the regulator/computer is requesting .

The regulator/computer is mostly just looking to keep the system voltage at the optimum level. It varies a little with temperature (higher voltage in cold weather). Usually you don't see normal operating voltages outside of 13.5 to 14.5 volts.

So, the other car would have tried to boost its alternator output until it saw 13.5-14.0 volts, which it would have probably seen just from your jumper cables being connected anyway.

tl;dr = Your truck is fine.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Fire Force is on a distinguished road
Name: Ian
Fire Force's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Tell the BMW guy to hold it to the throttle floor to charge the battery quickly.

I second this gentleman's post.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #17

Ah JKD good post. Now i understand.

Next time I'll just hand him the phone number for AAA and tell him to screw off. Then proceed to create tire smoke.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Tell him he should FLOOR IT for 5 minutes.

Steve