Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I don't need it but I want it

Old 05-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #22
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudgiesinWaverly View Post
I am going to build the garage to fit a full size truck, 'planning for the future'.

Pugga- what do you think of the SR5 seats? Notice anything horrible about them? I have sat in a 97 SR5 for about 5 hours before, and my legs started to tingle from the position I was in. - Thought it was more a posture issue than a seat issue. Seems to be a lot of threads on it though.

Originally I considered the f-150 Lariat because tacoma didn't have a luxury package. I have come a long way I would say but I would be lying if I said I didn't want a brand new lariat. The extended cabs in ford are approximately the same size as the dbl cabs.

Thanks for your 2 cents. If I go sport I will consider swapping hoods straight up. The only phony thing allowed on my truck is the driver whose tool is more capable than its operator.
I don't mind the SR5 seats at all. I had a TRD Sport for a few days as a loaner when mine was in for some work and although I liked the look of the TRD seats better, I didn't think they were any more comfortable. I have done quite a few 6+ hour road trips with the truck and was not uncomfortable (also, no complaints from my girlfriend or the back seat passengers either). Everyone's different but I've been happy with my base SR5 seats for the last 4 years

FWIW, there was a group buy here recently on leather seat packages and others on here have had their truck re-upholstered in leather. The installs look awesome!

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't consider the F-150... I'm very curious about the Eco-boost engine and the full size will tow better than a mid-sized truck. It makes it even more attractive since you have smaller commuter vehicles so you wouldn't have to drive the big truck all the time.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
PudgiesinWaverly is on a distinguished road
Name: Pudge
PudgiesinWaverly's Tacoma Gallery
I went to a dealer again today and I now I think the AC is all I need. For as large as the truck is in LBDC there really isn't a whole lot of head room for a 6'1'' driver. You know the Tundra.....

Originally I wanted the F-150 Lariat with ecoboost. Truck with luxury. I am just too young for that kind of payment...

Thanks for the heads up on the seats. SR5 is most capable.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #25
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
The offroad gets you a locker. You can buy a locker. It does not transform your tacoma into a mega crawler offroad machine like you seem to imagine, it comes that way stock.

Well, last part was a joke, but seriously, the Offroad package is mostly aesthetics, aside from the locker, which is purchasable aftermarket.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #26
MAPLENUTS is on a distinguished road
Name: STEVEN
MAPLENUTS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hello all, this is my first post to TW. I have been searching the forums for a few months, 'shopping ideas'. I am not an off roader as I only have a Nissan Sentra and Toyota Sienna. I am married and father of one and 2nd on is a glimmer in the eye.

This much is certain: Double Cab.

However I want the off road because of all it is capable of. It is the Swiss Army knife of Tacomas IMO. This truck is all about functionality. If I want to be a jack ass and climb rocks, steep hills etc, then I can in the OR. The only thing it can't do is have a long bed. 90% of the time I will be on road, I do live in the mountain of NJ, so I am concerned about snow that any 4x4 or Subaru can handle. 10% of the time I plan on using the truck to landscape my yard, get mulch, cut trees down, and when I have extra cash, get some quarry process and put down a new paver patio. I do tow a 1986 Mastercraft ski boat twice a year about 4 miles each way, might want to bring it 300 miles once a summer.

I would like the long bed but the weight capacity of the SB v LB is negligible.

Wife likes the look of the LB, I don't care, I like the OR functions, even though I may never use them.

I can't make a decision, 30G is a lot to drop.

a) Get the OR DCSB (carry the kids into the woods)
b) Get OR AC reg bed (You got a Sienna and a 4dr Sentra)
c) Get Sport LB (just because its a waste to get OR function 'just because')
Make sure you get one with a tow package for towing, up to 6500 lbs and definitely get the V6. Nobody ever complained of having too much power.
Also consider certified preowned through Toyota. You can find what you want, save a bundle, and still have over 4 years 100K in warranty for peace of mind. I have the TRD 4X4 Sport package and it rides nice and looks hot. I got the Sport package 'cause I like the way it looks, and I got the TRD off road package because I need it. All certified preowned and saved over 15K in depreciation. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #27
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I went to a dealer again today and I now I think the AC is all I need. For as large as the truck is in LBDC there really isn't a whole lot of head room for a 6'1'' driver. You know the Tundra.....
I'm confused , do you feel there is more headroom in the AC vs the DC ?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #28
is one of the sharper tools in the shed
truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
truckboattruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I'm confused , do you feel there is more headroom in the AC vs the DC ?
you didnt know that? silly canadians
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #29
Rad Red Prerunner
eccracer104 has a spectacular aura abouteccracer104 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Mike
eccracer104's Tacoma Gallery
My suggestion is to get the double cab long bed TRD Sport 4x4. Even the sport 4x4 is very capable off road.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #30
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
you didnt know that? silly canadians
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 PM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccracer104 View Post
My suggestion is to get the double cab long bed TRD Sport 4x4. Even the sport 4x4 is very capable off road.
I'm with this guy right here ^^^^
Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #32
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Why are you guys so hung up on TRD? Except for the earlier years with the locking diff, the sport is IDENTICAL, drivetrain-wise, to the non-TRDs.

And the offroad has a locker.

Can we stop acting like you gain some magic offroad advantage with your TuRD sticker?

I mean, if he wants TRD whatever, that's fine, but why are we pretending that it gives magic offroad abilities again?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #33

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
Why are you guys so hung up on TRD? Except for the earlier years with the locking diff, the sport is IDENTICAL, drivetrain-wise, to the non-TRDs.

Can we stop acting like you gain some magic offroad advantage with your TuRD sticker?

I mean, if he wants TRD whatever, that's fine, but why are we pretending that it gives magic offroad abilities again?
While you unknot your panties , I will rephrase my answer

DCLB 4x4 , SR5 or Sport
Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #34
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Love my TRD DC OR.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
While you unknot your panties , I will rephrase my answer

DCLB 4x4 , SR5 or Sport
Heh. OP is trying to make a purchasing decision. People keep pushing "TRD FOR EXTREME OFFRAODDDDD" opinions at him.

I'm just saying, get TRD if you want the aesthetics, but it will not a rock crawler make. That's all.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #36
MPG? LOL
sean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsean266 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Heh. OP is trying to make a purchasing decision. People keep pushing "TRD FOR EXTREME OFFRAODDDDD" opinions at him.

I'm just saying, get TRD if you want the aesthetics, but it will not a rock crawler make. That's all.
The locker makes a HUGE difference. I was crawling up shit w/out a single spin while my buddy's sport spun a few times
Old 05-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean266 View Post
The locker makes a HUGE difference. I was crawling up shit w/out a single spin while my buddy's sport spun a few times
The locker is nice, I agree. I'm not saying "do not get a trd sport or offroad", I'm saying that this mantra that you'll be crippled offroad if you didn't buy a TRD is silly.

The TRD Sport helps not at all, and you can easily get ARB lockers front AND rear for less than what the TRD Offroad upgrade costs new.

Again, I have nothing against the upgrade packages, just adding a reality check here. And now I'll go back to my corner.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #39
Absolutely. I convinced myself I didn't need 4wd, then it really sucked when I traded up a year later after I couldn't take it anymore.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #40
MPG? LOL

sean266's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The locker is nice, I agree. I'm not saying "do not get a trd sport or offroad", I'm saying that this mantra that you'll be crippled offroad if you didn't buy a TRD is silly.

The TRD Sport helps not at all, and you can easily get ARB lockers front AND rear for less than what the TRD Offroad upgrade costs new.

Again, I have nothing against the upgrade packages, just adding a reality check here. And now I'll go back to my corner.
"and now I'll do back to my corner"
Lol!