1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I don't need it but I want it

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PudgiesinWaverly, May 24, 2011.

1. May 26, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    BillJC

BillJC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    If you can get good price on a sport, get it. Otherwise I would recommend getting a DCLB SR5 4x4. That's what I did. I couldn't get a decent deal on a sport but, they cut $2K off the sticker on the SR5. So, I got that instead.

IMG-20110521-00005_8dbdf78f04703955649c4b09f360b44150b5ef57.jpg

2. May 26, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    x2
    I have non-trd 4x4DC SB, live surrounded by mtns, tow a lot in the winter through the mtns & some in the summer as well. Have not regretted my purchase either.
    Before we bought a landscape trailer when the need to move something that did not fit in the bed we rented a uhaul trailer for 20 bucks.

3. May 26, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    PudgiesinWaverly

PudgiesinWaverly [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pudge
    Jersey Mountains
    Vehicle:
    No truck yet
    I think a lot of progress has been made for me reading this thread. I did believe the off road had in a sense 'magical powers' because of the locking diff and the A-Trac.

The ol' saying, "I'd rather have something and not need it vs. ....you know"

I need to test drive the TRD because of so many people believing the seats are more comfortable.

Went to the dealer, the DCLB Sport was $32,700.

I am between the SR5 DCLB or the OR AC.

A-Trac/locking diff vs. passenger comfort.

Does a loaded up DCLB with 4 passengers and luggage accel well in rolling interstate hills?

I currently have a landscape trailer.....ORSB....oy the options

4. May 26, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Well, A-trac and the locker are nice, but honestly, you'll probably never need them. Most guys on here (myself included) wayy overbuild our trucks for the kind of offroading they actually see. TRAC and 4x4 will get you most places. And again, if you decide later that it's necessary, you can always get front and rear ARB air lockers, a setup which is even better than ATRAC or only a rear locker for sure.

So I wouldn't put that as a priority if you need the DCLB, just get the DCLB since you can always aftermarket-purchase what you need from the Offroad.

5. May 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    PudgiesinWaverly

PudgiesinWaverly [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pudge
    Jersey Mountains
    Vehicle:
    No truck yet
    I plan on not modifying anything on the truck that would void a warranty. Any mods I do will be strictly left to 'bolt ons' wheels/tires, mountain/road bike racks, kayak carrying, ski racks and tonneau cover.

6. May 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Just don't do a body lift and u would be good

7. May 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I am in a very similar situation and always fret about going 2x4 or 4x4, but I always end up not going 4x4 because I would so rarely use it -- and I've never not been able to go somewhere because I didn't have it. That might change, but so far so good. The additional cost and maintenance just isn't worth it in the long run.

Personally, I don't like how the long bed drives. It feels awkward, and that extra foot of space isn't worth it to me. I guess I could get used to it, but nah. Looks funny, too.

DC for me is a must -- once you have it, you just can't go back, and with kids it would just be way too limiting not to have it. They like to go to Home Depot sometimes, too.

I am perfectly happy with my base PreRunner and it does everything I need it to. I've towed a car on a trailer for 1000 miles (near the max weight) and it did just fine, and with the electronics, snow has not been a problem. I paid 21K for it new and couldn't justify another 7-8K for 4WD and all the goodies (but I sure did want it -- still do, just not a rational thing to do). Kids will do that to you.

Products Discussed in

To Top