Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I don't need it but I want it

Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
PudgiesinWaverly is on a distinguished road
Name: Pudge
PudgiesinWaverly's Tacoma Gallery
I don't need it but I want it

Hello all, this is my first post to TW. I have been searching the forums for a few months, 'shopping ideas'. I am not an off roader as I only have a Nissan Sentra and Toyota Sienna. I am married and father of one and 2nd on is a glimmer in the eye.

This much is certain: Double Cab.

However I want the off road because of all it is capable of. It is the Swiss Army knife of Tacomas IMO. This truck is all about functionality. If I want to be a jack ass and climb rocks, steep hills etc, then I can in the OR. The only thing it can't do is have a long bed. 90% of the time I will be on road, I do live in the mountain of NJ, so I am concerned about snow that any 4x4 or Subaru can handle. 10% of the time I plan on using the truck to landscape my yard, get mulch, cut trees down, and when I have extra cash, get some quarry process and put down a new paver patio. I do tow a 1986 Mastercraft ski boat twice a year about 4 miles each way, might want to bring it 300 miles once a summer.

I would like the long bed but the weight capacity of the SB v LB is negligible.

Wife likes the look of the LB, I don't care, I like the OR functions, even though I may never use them.

I can't make a decision, 30G is a lot to drop.

a) Get the OR DCSB (carry the kids into the woods)
b) Get OR AC reg bed (You got a Sienna and a 4dr Sentra)
c) Get Sport LB (just because its a waste to get OR function 'just because')
Old 05-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
is one of the sharper tools in the shed
truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtruckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
truckboattruck's Tacoma Gallery
how does climbing rocks and steep hills ect. in a truck make someone a jackass....

anyway i say sport lb
Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Fire Force is on a distinguished road
Name: Ian
Fire Force's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the OR DC SB for one and a half years now, and I use it alot to haul stuff around. I've never really had any situations where I've regretted the lost bedspace with the short bed. I use it to work on a horse farm during the summers, so I do a lot of hauling scrap lumber and trees/bushes we prune. There is plenty of room for that.

The only time I can think of that the bed caused a problem was when I had to go pick up an antique desk for a family member. I had to keep the tailgate down and really tie the hell out of the desk to keep it from coming out. But that was a large piece of furniture... and people drive around with shit sticking out of the bed on trucks all the time.

I once used it to pick up 10x 50lb bags of horse feed (500 lbs) and it didn't have any problems with that. I think that might be the heaviest load I've ever had in my truck bed. The springs sagged a lot but it was no problem for it.

The other thing with the Long bed double cabs is that they get pretty long. IMO I really like the length of the DC SB. Feels almost like it turns on a dime and easy to park. If I wanted an F-250 I'd have gotten one instead!

Plus, if you're driving your family around, the DC is perfect. I can honestly say I use the DC more often than the bed for anything. Being able to seat four in comfort with leg room and shit is great for long drives. In an AC you'd be cooped up in the backseat... hate that feeling!

I really don't think you can go wrong with a Tacoma. If our other Toyota is any indication, I think my 2010 Tacoma will last a long damn time! We have a 1995 T-100 that's been wrecked 3 times and gets used as the farm truck... after 180k miles it's still going strong. Our Fords on the other hand have been pieces of crap...
Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Thanks Fireforce, that helps a lot. I really want the OR and it only comes in the SB, which is a limiting factor. I don't want to be limited by what I have I want to limit what I do. I guess I should just pull a trailor.

Anyone else out there have the off road just because of what it is capable of and not because off roading is a hobby.

Off roading will not become a hobby for me so when I 'off road' it will be more a statement of what my truck can do because it was built well. I have accepted that I will be a fool with a cool tool. Like someone who buys a land rover and doesn't off road.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should get off of your cloud and just get the Sport DCLB.

- Double Cab is a must for a growing family, so any Access Cab is out of the question.
- If you're admitting that you really don't NEED the Off Road, then honestly, why get it? The sport is VERY much capable, and probably more than capable for what you're planning on doing. The only benefit I can see the OR having for you, is the locking diff for pulling the boat out of the water, and the sport's 4wd will probably be just fine for that.
- As for the SB vs LB: if you can't drive/park a Long Bed, you should turn in your man card.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
I think you should get off of your cloud and just get the Sport DCLB.

- Double Cab is a must for a growing family, so any Access Cab is out of the question.
- If you're admitting that you really don't NEED the Off Road, then honestly, why get it? The sport is VERY much capable, and probably more than capable for what you're planning on doing. The only benefit I can see the OR having for you, is the locking diff for pulling the boat out of the water, and the sport's 4wd will probably be just fine for that.
- As for the SB vs LB: if you can't drive/park a Long Bed, you should turn in your man card.
Agreed

DCLB FTMFW Bitches
Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Agreed

DCLB FTMFW Bitches
Wow... OZ-T Doesn't have something smart assed to say First time for everything.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone else out there have the off road just because of what it is capable of and not because off roading is a hobby.

Off roading will not become a hobby for me so when I 'off road' it will be more a statement of what my truck can do because it was built well. I have accepted that I will be a fool with a cool tool. Like someone who buys a land rover and doesn't off road.[/QUOTE]

ME. lol. i liked the OR over sport! 1. full locking rear dif. 2 no (useless) hood scoop. ( inda made it harder to see for me. 3 LB was not a (MUST) we have a trailer=12x7 and a tundra. 4wd was a must!! we HAD to have it!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
access cab is nice. Not as heavy as the double cabs obviously and in my opinion is a bit more functional if you dont need a lot of extra legroom as you already have a few 4 seater vehicles. Gas mileage also seems to be better out of all the v6 models due to the weight. I have the OR and I really like the functionality of it. The sport hood does look cool and all, but you can always get one down the road. To me, it seems like you sir have to pick functionality over looks and wants.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
OP seems like he has potential to be the next chris4x4 or OZ-T to me. lol

I say OR AC or Sport LB
Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
Taco721, I'm with you on that one. I am offended by the uselessness of the hood scoop. It reminds me of an old friends pontiac fiero. I know if I were to go for anything less than the OR that I would already sell myself short and would definitely not go off road thinking the truck is lacking, even though admittedly the SR5 is capable for 99% of my needs.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudgiesinWaverly View Post
Taco721, I'm with you on that one. I am offended by the uselessness of the hood scoop. It reminds me of an old friends pontiac fiero. I know if I were to go for anything less than the OR that I would already sell myself short and would definitely not go off road thinking the truck is lacking, even though admittedly the SR5 is capable for 99% of my needs.
You had me for a bit but ....

Ignore list for you
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #13

Maybe you need to step back and mull over this for awhile. At least until you convince yourself that the OR is not necessarily the Be All End All of the Tacomas.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #14
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah i am kinda short 5'6 but i dont see the need for it. looks cool. but useless! and i did not need the lock rear diff. but it and the plug in the bed and few other things helped us, me mom and dad decide on it. but we had to have 4wd. we only have one other 4wd in the house. and when we get snow we have to have it to get up are drive way. and I have 30++ aunt, uncles and cousins in up state NY! and if something had was to happen in winter we would have to have 4wd. and there is 5 of us in the family. 2 older brother are moved out. last time i was up in winter they had 5 feet in grandmothers yard. some places had 7 feet. the tundra was in 4wd for like 6 days maybe more and never took it out we wear up there for 2 1/2, 3 weeks.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #15
This is me stepping back and mulling over. I won't buy until at least....September... I am currently building a garage and will wait to have a place to park the tacoma before winter hits. I plan on this being my first and last truck. It won't be a DD, it will be my toy for doing lawn and house projects, taking to drive in movies, taking to MTB trails and towing the ski boat.

When I'm too old to bike and able to hire a landscaper, I'll buy a vette.

In the mean time I have permission to use a 97' SR5 AC.

Upstate NY is where I want to be. Finger Lakes!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 AM   #16
ecupcar is on a distinguished road

ecupcar's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure your new garage is deep enough for a DC LB, if that is what you are considering. Mine barely fits and I have to use the back up cam to stuff the truck in.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #17
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I say LB! It seems like in your situation you would get more use out of the LB than the "OR" package. LB is nice to haul furniture and other large items than can be tricky to fit in a SB.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is me stepping back and mulling over. I won't buy until at least....September... I am currently building a garage and will wait to have a place to park the tacoma before winter hits. I plan on this being my first and last truck. It won't be a DD, it will be my toy for doing lawn and house projects, taking to drive in movies, taking to MTB trails and towing the ski boat.

When I'm too old to bike and able to hire a landscaper, I'll buy a vette.

In the mean time I have permission to use a 97' SR5 AC.

Upstate NY is where I want to be. Finger Lakes!
I've got the SR5 DCSB so no limited slip rear, no locker. I live in New England (Boston area) and frequently visit Albany, far upstate Plattsburg and upstate Maine for vacation both in the dead of winter and summer. I have yet to regret not getting the OR, the SR5 4x4 will get you through a lot and if off roading turns into a hobby for you, you can always add a locker if and when you really need it. The extras that come on the OR are nice, but why pay for features you aren't going to use? I say get the DCLB TRD Sport for the use you described.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #19
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Agreed

DCLB FTMFW Bitches
^^ yeah this^^
Old 05-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #20
I am going to build the garage to fit a full size truck, 'planning for the future'.

Pugga- what do you think of the SR5 seats? Notice anything horrible about them? I have sat in a 97 SR5 for about 5 hours before, and my legs started to tingle from the position I was in. - Thought it was more a posture issue than a seat issue. Seems to be a lot of threads on it though.

Originally I considered the f-150 Lariat because tacoma didn't have a luxury package. I have come a long way I would say but I would be lying if I said I didn't want a brand new lariat. The extended cabs in ford are approximately the same size as the dbl cabs.

Thanks for your 2 cents. If I go sport I will consider swapping hoods straight up. The only phony thing allowed on my truck is the driver whose tool is more capable than its operator.