Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How much to pay for paint black bumpers on base model?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
kwelhand is on a distinguished road

kwelhand's Tacoma Gallery
How much to pay for paint black bumpers on base model?

I've base access cab, and I'm not a big fan of black bumpers on the front & back.
If the price is decent, then I would like to paint the front, rear bumpers and maybe front grill as well.
How much should I expect to pay? mine is 2011.
Anything to watch out for this type of paint job?

thanks in advance!
Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Tough to say because it really depends on the shop and the paint job. Someone on here described paint jobs really well and how they relate to pricing. You can get the 20', 10', 5' or 1' paint job and basically what it means is it'll look great at the various distances. If you want to be right up close and not see any flaws, bumps, etc then it will be much more expensive because it means a lot of prep and multiple thin coats. If you want a paint job similar to what's on the truck now (not perfect but pretty good) I'd guesstimate between $2-300. If it's a smaller shop, you might be able to save some money if you do some of the initial prep work (if you're able to do so).
Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like you have either white or silver, which is good because you can probably find those colors in a rattlecan at an auto parts store. If you're confident enough, you can paint them yourself and save a ton of cash. I painted my rear bumper with bedliner this past weekend and it was really easy.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
I just took off my white SR5 fenders (well tried to anyway, those plastic tabs are a PITA) so I can paint them black. If you have a white truck, I will swap you for base flares straight up.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
It looks like you have either white or silver, which is good because you can probably find those colors in a rattlecan at an auto parts store. If you're confident enough, you can paint them yourself and save a ton of cash. I painted my rear bumper with bedliner this past weekend and it was really easy.
Careful if you go the DIY route with superwhite, it's a PITA to match. I have not found a spray can that matches the paint to where you couldn't see the difference. I bought 4 different types to do a set of eye lids from cheap, NAPA duplicolor to the more expensive color-matched rattle cans and finally gave up. I ended up close to $200 in the hole with the cans I bought and none of them matched well enough for my liking. I was probably being way to picky for a set of eye lids but if you did the entire bumper, you will see the difference where it meets your base paint job (at least in white, silver may be different).
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I just took off my white SR5 fenders (well tried to anyway, those plastic tabs are a PITA) so I can paint them black. If you have a white truck, I will swap you for base flares straight up.
It's silver...
Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #7

Yeah... there's no way I trust myself w/ that can of paint. LOL
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
I would not try this myself, especially with off the shelf paint cans. I would take my truck to an expert and get an estimate.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Ive got tiger blood
0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
0BlackTaco6's Tacoma Gallery
tell ya what, ill trade ya my chrome bumper for your black one. Sound good? Good.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
Like some have said, It will be a pain to match the factory color. Unfortunately if you want it to look nice you're going to have to go to a pro and have them do it. I'm going to have to bite the bullet within the next few months and do the same for my grill and bumper, sucks that theres a slight dent on my bumper though so it's going to cost a little more then yours.

GL!!