Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

when to use the locking rear diff

Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
when to use the locking rear diff

So I am looking at an 05 tacoma prerunner 2wd with the trd off road package. when can I use the locking rear diff. I imagine that the only time I would need to use it would be when we get alot of snow, which isn't very often. 1, maybe 2 times a year.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Only if you're stuck. IIRC you can only drive like 3mph with it engaged. Or that's whats recommended.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Only if you're stuck. IIRC you can only drive like 3mph with it engaged. Or that's whats recommended.
You can drive 50 mph and it wouldn't matter, only if you are driving in a straight line
Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
In deep mud, snow or other loose terrain where you are having difficulty moving. I would not use it on snow covered roads unless you get stuck. After getting unstuck I would unlock it because a locked diff will cause the rear end to want to step out of line.

To engage it slow down to under 5mph then push the button. Turn then steering wheel side to side to help it lock. Do not lock it durning wheel spin.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
ericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shedericb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Rotorhead
Name: Inigo Montoya
ericb's Tacoma Gallery
rockcrawling
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
right before you think you will get stuck without it.

i think you need to be crawling when you go in, but you can drive over 5mph once you are in..
Old 05-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I turn it on as soon as I hit dirt, and I have gone around 50 mph for countless times, turning and catching air, and it's fine. Just make sure its off when u hit pavement
Old 05-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
rockcrawling
win
Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Rad Red Prerunner
eccracer104 has a spectacular aura abouteccracer104 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Mike
eccracer104's Tacoma Gallery
I use my locker everywhere and for everything and I engage it doing doughnuts at full speed while hitting the NOS. It clunks pretty loud, but I think it makes me C00L3R that way

engage it between 0-5mph, I use it whenever I am offroad and disengage it just before returning to pavement. zero issues so far.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Lockup the rear diff if you're on a very rocky or dicey section of trail where maximum traction is needed and any wheel spin/slip may present some danger. I agree with aficianado, that using it in anticipation of getting stuck is also very good.

The Toyota owners manual advises you to use it when you're stuck and to disengage it when your truck is free. That's good but sometimes if your stuck it may have trouble engaging.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So is the locking diff basically going to be worthless to me on roads that have alot of snow on them?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
If they are just covered with snow it will cause you to spin out around corners. If it is deep snow then it will help.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If they are just covered with snow it will cause you to spin out around corners. If it is deep snow then it will help.
would a limited slip be better for that situation?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
Cybertronian Tacoma

oh. and I consider myself a good driver, but this will be my first pickup. I am used to the full time AWD of my WRX with snow tires. that thing was damn near invincible in snow.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
would a limited slip be better for that situation?
I believe most people that live in a snowy environment prefer a LSD. If it only snows once or twice a year for you then you will be fine as is.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
oh. and I consider myself a good driver, but this will be my first pickup. I am used to the full time AWD of my WRX with snow tires. that thing was damn near invincible in snow.
You might be better off with a 4wd. Yeah, more expensive, but...with what you're coming from, I think you will be happier with a 4wd.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I believe most people that live in a snowy environment prefer a LSD. If it only snows once or twice a year for you then you will be fine as is.
^^^ This. Good limited slip in snow country is better option just because it adjusts to conditions on the fly.
When it snows most of the road will get covered by ice/snow then there are spots (like under the bridges that have clean asphalt for the moment. The same thing as with AWD vs 4x4. AWD is more convenient then 4x4 due to ability to better manage changing conditions. But when going gets really tough then lockers are the way to go.
IMO for winter: AWD (with center lock) + Lockers is best, 4x4 + good LSD is second.
For 2wd I would think about Limited slip rather then locker. IMO Locker makes little sense for 2wd. Hard to rock crawl with 2wd and if there is a lot of snow to warrant locker most likely it won't make too much of the difference. (Unless you are on 100% flat area)

Now to add to that. Not all AWD are created equal. open diff style AWD are not much help either but the ones with Limited slip in the center are pretty much perfect.

Quote:
If you switching from AWD to 2wd (Rwd) pickup you may be very disappointed. Not having ability to point wheels with power to desired direction is the main issue with 2wd pickups.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
Cybertronian Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
^^^ This. Good limited slip in snow country is better option just because it adjusts to conditions on the fly.
When it snows most of the road will get covered by ice/snow then there are spots (like under the bridges that have clean asphalt for the moment. The same thing as with AWD vs 4x4. AWD is more convenient then 4x4 due to ability to better manage changing conditions. But when going gets really tough then lockers are the way to go.
IMO for winter: AWD (with center lock) + Lockers is best, 4x4 + good LSD is second.
For 2wd I would think about Limited slip rather then locker. IMO Locker makes little sense for 2wd. Hard to rock crawl with 2wd and if there is a lot of snow to warrant locker most likely it won't make too much of the difference. (Unless you are on 100% flat area)

Now to add to that. Not all AWD are created equal. open diff style AWD are not much help either but the ones with Limited slip in the center are pretty much perfect.

If you switching from AWD to 2wd (Rwd) pickup you may be very disappointed. Not having ability to point wheels with power to desired direction is the main issue with 2wd pickups.

Well, my wrx WAS going to be my weekend warrior and I was going to autocross it. that never happened, and I am sure I never took advantage of it's full potential. This truck will only be used to get me back and forth to work and around town. Maybe a trip up to minnesota 1 time a year and down to indiana 1 to two times a year.
I figured the 4wd wouldn't be worth it to me.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, my wrx WAS going to be my weekend warrior and I was going to autocross it. that never happened, and I am sure I never took advantage of it's full potential. This truck will only be used to get me back and forth to work and around town. Maybe a trip up to minnesota 1 time a year and down to indiana 1 to two times a year.
I figured the 4wd wouldn't be worth it to me.
I was referring to puerly snow driving. WRX is much better then pickup in 2wd for snow covered roads. Even if you have locker or Limtied slip in 2wd pickup. And if you had sedan WRX you probably had rear limited slip too.
First snow you will see what I mean and I would suggest taking very easy.