Notices

3rd Alignment and new Wheel Balance Done

Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
sac130e is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
3rd Alignment and new Wheel Balance Done

Had my 3rd alignment done today at local dealership, also had them do a Force Balance on the wheels to try and fix the vibration at 60-70mph.
Below are the numbers for the wheel balance:

Front Left: 21 w/6oz.
Front right: 43 w/43oz.
Rear Left: 52 w/17.25oz.
Rear Right: 35 w/21.25oz.

Those were the numbers and amount of weight added to balance. They stated the front left is good, but the other three were high. They said that normally, you would unseat the tire, rotate 180 and try another balance. But they were unable to do this since they don't have the right equipment to do this without damaging the rims. They said give it a go and see if it helped. Vibs have lessened somewhat, but can still feel slightly at 60, but not as bad. Will let it ride for awhile and see what develops. Looked at the rims, there are ALOT of weights on the backside of those rims (3 rows per). Hard to believe they couldn't break it down and rotate, but at least they didn't try and damage the rims in the process.

As for the alignment, lets hope this one holds up this round.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
3rd Alignment and new Wheel Balance Done-al-2.jpg   3rd Alignment and new Wheel Balance Done-al-3.jpg  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Woodstocktaco is on a distinguished road
Woodstocktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Holy smokes! Nearly 5.5 pounds of wheel weights sure sounds like a lot. Have you tried taking the tires back where you bought them? I was talking to the guy that installed my lift & he was describing how the new wheel balancing machines are much more precise. He sells a lot of tires & said since he purchase his new balance machine he winds up sending more new tires back to the manufacturer because they wont balance right even when new.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
sac130e is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Wheels are Motometals 955 17x9, and tires are BFG AT KO 275/70/17.
The Goodyear place used a center piece to spin the wheel and had a few weights on each wheel.
The Toyota place used the finger adapter and road forced the wheels, and end result is in frost post. It does ride better now, but very slight vib between 60-65, something I can live with.
Still hard to believe the dealership couldn't break down the wheels to rotate the tire. I will give it some time and see what develops. I will go back to Goodyear and discuss the results with the manager. But seems like every time I have someone work on the wheels, they come out with a new scratch/chip in the chrome. Guess they cant keep from dropping the lug nuts when they take them off. Time will tell.
I may be confused, but how difficult is it to deflate the tire and rotate it on the rim? Seems simple, but I guess I am missing something in the process.

Scott