1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

going to purchase my first truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tstout23, May 25, 2011.

1. May 25, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    tstout23

tstout23 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 access cab sr5 4x4
    ive been lurking this forum for quite some time and always been interested in 4wd tacomas. i am now in the position and very interested in purchasing a brand new regular cab, 4x4, 5 speed. this will be my very first truck to ever own (coming from 12 years of owning nothing but hondas). i dont want a big truck because its only me that will be riding in it, i want as good gas mileage as possible, and i want 4wd(no use of owning a truck if it isnt 4x4.) so the regular cab seems to be the best fit for me. im just curious as to what others think about their regular cabs or might have any advice about the new car purchase. what have other paid out the door for a similar truck? i have the option of buying in either oklahoma city or the dallas/fort worth area so if you have any good experience at a certain dealership that would be helpful as well. thanks

2. May 26, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I'm in the same boat right now. I have always had sporty cars and whatnot. Last two cars have been WRX's. Just sold that and am getting a tacoma double cab short bed within a month. I am not getting 4x4 though, as my truck will simply be my daily driver/pavement pounder. Not gonna be doing any off roading in it, so yeah. Good luck with your search/purchase.

3. May 26, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    ScottyDaug

ScottyDaug Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 2.7 4X2
    Just traded my 04 WRX wagon towards a 4x2 2011 reg cab I4 5 speed, less then 2000 miles on it, but I love it so far!

4. May 26, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    tstout23

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 access cab sr5 4x4
    i refuse to not buy 4 wheel drive. i have always wanted a 4wd truck. i think that an access cab will be useless to me for functionality and a waste of money. this truck will not be used for work or anything and im not the kind of person that throws a bunch of random crap in their vehicle. i keep my vehicles showroom clean inside at all times. at the most i will have a backpack and maybe golf clubs so i cant justify buying an access cab...for the sole reason that it could rain on my $500 nike clubs(plus ive played in the rain numerous times.) i would much rather buy a brand new regular cab instead of settling for a used access cab. also, in the next couple of years i plan on trading it in r selling it to upgrade to a 4 door tacoma or possibly a 4 dr tundra. thanks for the insight however. these are definitely the point of views i was looking for. i want to think about all facets before i make my first ever new vehicle purchase

5. May 26, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    My Tacoma is a DC, but in the past I've had two regular cab Toyota 4x4 pickups ('88 & '95). I loved them, but there is zero storage space. If you have a bunch of stuff you like to carry around, you'll want to get a toolbox in the bed.
    As another said, an access cab is more useful than you might think.

6. May 26, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    so you're planning on selling it in a few years??? buy used then. good luck when you want to carry anything. i even hate my access cab - far too small and non-functional. my gym back takes up half the back, the sub the other half, not to mention it's a pia to get in and out. next one will be a dc, best of both worlds (more expensive though).

7. May 26, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    Brandon H

Brandon H Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium. Icon stage 7, RCI skids, SCS SR8 wheels, budbuilt sliders, 285/70/17 BFG Ko2s (Old rig) 07 Taco TRD Offroad FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800
    I was like you, i came from the honda world. I had an EK with every possible JDM part you could get on it. It also had a fully built type r motor. I sold it and wanted a truck. I also wanted a 4x4. I would get the access cab v6 in 4x4. If you plan on doing some moderate off-roading, I would suggest getting the automatic. It is so much easier negotiating the trail and obstacles with an automatic. Good luck with your choice.

8. May 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    woodygg

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    not really.

9. May 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    Brandon H

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium. Icon stage 7, RCI skids, SCS SR8 wheels, budbuilt sliders, 285/70/17 BFG Ko2s (Old rig) 07 Taco TRD Offroad FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800

Uh... Yes. I would know. My buddies and I have done some pretty technical trails and the few with 6 speeds wish they had automatics. You have WAY more control with the auto, plus you can use 2 feet for really tight stuff. They are burning up their clutches trying to climb through technical stuff.

10. May 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    Brandon H

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad

Yeah im sorry I am an idiot! Dont mind me, Im just an Aerospace Engineer :rolleyes:

Tell you what buddy, you come out here and see how your clutch is doing, and how your paint looks after this run.

DSC_4424_15eed4178c666e8d94c56a9344c673630cebf3ef.jpg

Read the report after your done too:

11. May 26, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    tstout23

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 access cab sr5 4x4
    i have definitely thought about buying used. you have definitely convinced me to NOT buy an access cab if its not even functional. definitely not worth the extra money in my opinion especially if i wont need the space. i thought about auto transmission but with a 4 cyl i do not know how i would like that.

what is a price that people are paying out the door for a regular cab, 4x4, 4 cyl, 5 speed?

12. May 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    Brandon H

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    X2. I agree with you. I was talking about stock vs. stock.

13. May 26, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    I have an auto and would still kill for a crawler. And, about 10K of other parts. Meh, F it I'll just Buggy my limo out!

14. May 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    I know I'm an idiot for wanting both hands on the wheel. :stirthepot:

15. May 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    RichardTRD

RichardTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Oregon City Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD 4X4
    Ironman4x4 pro stage2 lift, 285/75/16 Nexen Roadian MXT tires, leer shell, Pro hood, Raceline 16x8 0mm offset wheels, prinsu cab and topper racks, FSR High country 55" RTT and Bedslide.
    other option is, get a shell/canopy for your regular cab 4x4 and you you'll have all the room you need to keep your golf clubs dry!

16. May 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    woodygg

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    ya, i see you all the time on the morning news.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. May 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    woodygg

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    compared to a regular cab, the access cab is much more functional. i need a truck to be my dd, and having a dc has the best of everything. i can carry others when needed (maybe you have no friends? (((just kidding!!)))), carry gym bag, grocery bags, etc. Much nice to keep stuff in the cab than in the bed. I've seen many people have to give up their truck because their life changed and they need more space, etc. This way I never have to do that. Ya, with the 4cyl, the auto becomes more of an issue, I just personally cannot stand having to do the shifting for the vehicle, and not to mention I live where there can be a lot of traffic and a manual sucks in those conditions. Not to mention I like to 4x4 and don't like manuals for that as much. If you want the pricing, price it out on edmunds.com to see what the dealer cost is, then decide how much over you're willing to pay. If you really want to know the best way to buy a car, pm me and I'll walk you through it - much easier, and you'll know exactly how much over you're paying (I've been around the car business for most my life - but not IN the business...). Good luck!

18. May 26, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    You seem pretty stuck on getting something new. However, you may want to consider a certified preowned and get the 4 door taco or tundra now. When I was shopping last year I could have gotten a 2008 4 door tundra with 4x4 with like 20k miles on it for around 20k. I opted for an 08 4x4 dc sr5 taco with 13k miles and pretty loaded up for 23k because it had more warrenty left, was cheaper to insure, a little easier on gas and it fit in my drive way. I started out looking for a brand new tacoma and after sticker shock went the certified preowned route and the truck has been very very good to me so far 16k miles later. Just something to think about thats all. Plus if you get want u want now you wont have to trade it in loose your ass and start all over again unless you are into new cars every few years.

19. May 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    + 1 bajillion

I have regular cab. I will be keeping my truck, because its great work truck and right now I am upside down. I got regular cab, because I needed a truck for work and my vehicle then was falling apart.

I kick myself all the time that I didnt take it slower and didnt get an access cab.

- regular cab is small even for one person
    - bench seat sucks donkey balls comfort wise
    - you cant recline bench seat

20. May 26, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4

Valid points on the seats in a single cab...that's reason enough to get an access imo.

Products Discussed in

To Top