Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Torn Cv boot question

Old 05-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Hops is on a distinguished road

Name: Gabe
Hops's Tacoma Gallery
Torn Cv boot question

I tore and need to replace the outboard cv boot on the passenger side of my '08. Do i have to remove the axle? Or can i get to it just by taking off the hub?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
You don't want to just replace the boot just replace the whole axle the boot is a PITA!
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
agreed with jlee. did it once and never will do it ever again.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, 40 some buck plus shipping from Rockauto......that's a brand new half-shaft too
Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #5

Hops's Tacoma Gallery
I understand that its difficult but i have a pretty nice shop at my disposal, all the necessary tools (35 mm socket and t55 torx etc.) plus new cv boots. And a dad who is a 50+ year mechanic to help. I know rock auto has cardone axles for cheap but i need the truck tomorrow so that is out of the question. What i need to know is can you change the outer boot without removing the axle.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Technically, yeah. But the hub still has to come off and it will be a bitch to seprate the CV with the axle still in the diff. However, once it is to that point the only thing left to do is pry the other end out of the diff and you could change it on the bench.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
mxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shedmxnborder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
mxnborder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
I tore and need to replace the outboard cv boot on the passenger side of my '08. Do i have to remove the axle? Or can i get to it just by taking off the hub?
I'm thinking about getting a lifted 4x4, how much lift you have and was that the reason for your cv boot tear?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
its easier to just pop the axle out and clamp it in a vise and replace the boot. at my work we give the customer the option, reboot(less parts, more labor) or new axle, (more parts, less labor).
Old 05-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
How long has the boot been torn? A pretty good mechanic told me once the boot is torn for a while, you really don't know what all dirt has gotten in there, so a lot simpler to just replace the whole thing for $40.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
How long has the boot been torn? A pretty good mechanic told me once the boot is torn for a while, you really don't know what all dirt has gotten in there, so a lot simpler to just replace the whole thing for $40.
^^^^ yup, dirt and water
Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #11

Hops's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnborder View Post
I'm thinking about getting a lifted 4x4, how much lift you have and was that the reason for your cv boot tear?
zero lift, i went down an old logging road and a stick tore a 4 inch gash in the right outboard boot.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #12

Hops's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
I tore the boot yesterday, noticed it before even half the grease slung out then drove home 20 miles on pavement parked the truck at my shop took off the wheel and pressure washed the grease off. Haven't touched it since. Also, i have a boot kit in my hand right now, i would have to order the axle from rock auto and i need the truck tomorrow really bad.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Fwiw you can drive round on a torn boot for a while. I drove on mine for at least two months with no issues
Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 PM   #14

Hops's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
its easier to just pop the axle out and clamp it in a vise and replace the boot. at my work we give the customer the option, reboot(less parts, more labor) or new axle, (more parts, less labor).
This is basically what i need to know, thanks
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #15

Hops's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
Fwiw you can drive round on a torn boot for a while. I drove on mine for at least two months with no issues
Im selling it Tuesday so that wont work.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:51 PM   #16
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Changing the boot on the truck is just going to be more of a pain. If you really want to change the boot remove the axle and change it then put the axle back on the truck.